New Steam UI Beta Released

I'm with Ace, it runs beautifully so far and the UI itself does look pretty cool, though it'll take a while to get used to.

I'm keeping it for now :)

Thank god. No more IE. (And no more clicking noise!)

It looks and feels good, but the "carbon fiber" look should go, just make it a flat gray/black. The it would be a nice Zune-ish look, now the "carbon fiber" makes it look like a cheap Photoshop filter was used.

Community, News, and Store still fail to work for me. I would post about it on their Bug Fix forum, but apparently they make you wait for someone to manually approve every single user registration. What the heck? That has to be a ridiculously inefficient system.

I like the new design, but they need to lose the gradient color backgrounds where there is text (especially in the steam chat boxes.) Something about monochrome text on a gradient background just looks bad to me.

Runs a lot slower for me than the old UI--looks a lot better, though.

I need to upgrade my PC anyway, so I welcome the change.

Community, News, and Store still fail to work for me. I would post about it on their Bug Fix forum, but apparently they make you wait for someone to manually approve every single user registration. What the heck? That has to be a ridiculously inefficient system.
You have to load IE - Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > Uncheck Automatically Detect > Restart Steam.

Ugly, huge and slow. If you think so many clashing shades of grey looks good you need your head checked.

Been running really smooth for me so far. Very big difference to the old steam!

I think it's pretty clunky and poorly implemented, personally I don't like it at all. Seems to be crashing a lot more as well.

It's such a dramatic change. It's all shiny but it seems a little crowded into that space. It might look good full screen, but maybe I'll have to just get used to it. Nothing exceptionally terrible about it... and I like at the in game popups are dimmer and less intrusive.

I'd like a compact view, I don't like it taking up at least half of my screen.

Absolutely love it. Custom groups, searching, and the new download interface are highlights for me. I like that browsing games is now akin to browsing media on my media center in the style and feel, too.

My biggest hang-up is the lack of a maximise button :( I agree with a lot of the tweaks proposed on the Steam forums (making the icon look less "washed out", flatten and recolor some buttons), but overall I think it is an absolutely staggering achievement. And it matches this site's color scheme too!

I really hope they don't take on board all the changes proposed on the Steam forums - yes the interface could be made compact, but negative space is important. Their proposed redesigns seriously offend my aesthetic senses.

Update tonight:

2/25/2010

- Fix for the most common overlay crash, which was also in in-client crash for users in large group chats
- Fix for a potential crash browsing the store
- Fix for game names in the overlay overlapping the centered overlay close text
- Fix for some unicode characters not displaying correctly
- Fix for Windows 7 or Vista users with DirectWrite font support not having BGR monitors detected correctly so ClearType looked bad

I like the new features and performance gains, but the layout is way too bulky for my tastes and I miss the 'Servers' button.

I really dislike the looks of it, I think this isn't gonna give Steam a good name if it becomes the standard layout.

Back