New Zelda for 3DS: Same universe as Link to the Past

This is excellent news; Link to the Past is one of my favorite games of all time.

I liked LttP and both DS Zeldas (contrary to popular opinion), but this looks kind of... lame. The art style is so shiny and soft around the edges and gamey, like their mum-friendly Wii stuff or New Super Mario or something, where everything's neutral enough that you can plug in a Mii and still have it look alright. There's no character to it except what little they've borrowed from the original LttP. Those bouncing blocks look like something they'd shove in a new Mario game to give it the allure of newness without actually innovating in any real sense. The wall painting shit is just in there so Nintendo can continue to pretend that anyone gives a flying **** about their 3D.

But it's Nintendo so the level design, puzzles, and enemies will probably be ingeniously designed even if they fail in every other aspect. ****ing talented c**ts.

They also announced this, which I feel much the same way about.

Edit: Here's the Zelda video too.

Seems kind of rushed of them to reveal it right now, sans subtitle and all. Perhaps a lot of the assets are temporary?

My thoughts: Odd to say that it's in the same universe as ALttP, all the Zelda games (bar the Philips ones) are in the same universe. I guess they mean it's the same Link as in ALttP? I wonder will they make any references to confirm/deny connections between ALttP, the Oracles games or Ancient Stone Tablets (though that last one is pretty damn unlikely). I'm a sucker for trying to tie together the terrible plots of the Zelda games (and I'm still a bit upset at Nintendo for releasing an official timeline and ruining all the fun).

The 2D-3D thing looks like it might be interesting, but unless they can expand on it significantly it could just be another gimmick for solving really easy puzzles. Hope they use it intelligently.

I don't like the look. Maybe it's just an initial reaction and it'll grow on me but it looks like they just tried to recreate the look of ALttP as closely as possible but in 3D and I don't like the result of it. Looking forward to it though, if I ever actually get a 3DS. I've never played a Zelda game I didn't like.

Saw the full trailer in 3D on my system, it certainly looks very barebones so I doubt it'll be the final release.

Nintendo: PLZPZLPZl pay attn western market we give complimentary touched up wind waker "HD" shots and awkward bloated 3ds game media!!!

Back