NEXT-GEN'S Best 30 Games of 2007

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
The Orange Box got the fourth place in Next-gen's best 30 games of 2007, says that it's one of the best deals in gaming history.

We’re kind of glad that Valve and EA decided to put all of these great games in one package, not only because it’s likely the best deal in gaming right now, but also so we have an excuse to wedge all of these top-tier games into one slot. Everyone knows that 2004’s Half-Life 2 is one of the best examples of the FPS genre, and 2006’s Episode One was icing on the cake. New, though, is the raucous Team Fortress 2, with its comically gory style and gameplay that expertly adheres to the playing style of virtually anyone. And then there’s Portal, a mind-bending game that took the portal mechanics used in 2006’s Prey to entirely new levels. And Half-Life 2: Episode Two is the best entry into the saga yet. We’re not sure how this package could possibly be any better outside of including a free functional Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device with every purchase.

You can find the whole list on next-gen.biz.

If you only count games that are for the PC it places second only to Bioshock. I accept that.

Ep2 owns Bioshock id say. Flame me and youre baby gets born with one leg.

-dodo

Episodic games don't belong in a list amongst full-length games; but Orange Box as a whole does. Bioshock destroys Episode 2 in that Bioshock is a hell of a lot longer, and is 100% new content, and is, you know, a game, whereas Episode 2 is an expansion pack, if that.

So Bioshock destroys Episode 2, but Orange Box (and only the main 3) beat Bioshock.

Mario galaxy won :flame:

I wanted orange box or at least bioshock to win ;(

Mario Galaxy is absolutely fantastic, it's pure unadulterated fun from start to finish.
So is Orange Box though. :p
For me it's a tie between those two games as game of the year.
This has been a awesome gaming year!

TF2 and Portal alone could've been 2nd place, if not 1st.

I personally think Rock Band sucked, and I hate WoW. Other then that, I agree with the top 10 (except... Pacman, wtf? how did that get there).

Episodic games don't belong in a list amongst full-length games; but Orange Box as a whole does. Bioshock destroys Episode 2 in that Bioshock is a hell of a lot longer, and is 100% new content, and is, you know, a game, whereas Episode 2 is an expansion pack, if that.

So Bioshock destroys Episode 2, but Orange Box (and only the main 3) beat Bioshock.
Did the OB for the 360 not come with HL2 and Ep1 then? Question 2: Are they available for the 360?

On the 360, the OB consists of HL2, Episode 1, Episode 2, Portal and TF2. Kind of pisses on Bioshock from orbit.

Fairly good list.

For me the top 3 games of the year go as this:

1. Super Mario Galaxy (yeah, it's that awesome)
2. The Orange Box (amazing value, EP2 is a really great installment that is just as good as HL2 quality wise, Portal is an extremely ingenious, fun and funny game, and TF2 is the best multiplayer game I have ever played)
3. BioShock (I enjoyed the Plasmids, the exploring of Rapture, the mood etc. a very good game)

On the 360, the OB consists of HL2, Episode 1, Episode 2, Portal and TF2. Kind of pisses on Bioshock from orbit.

Yeah, but I don't include ports as "2007 releases." It might end up as an issue with this whole "timed exclusive" paradigm (first time I've ever used that word in the correct context!).

Technically a port to a console counts as a release. E.g. Gears of War for PC was released this year (iirc), so it's a 2007 release. They're in the release charts, porting does require some redevelopment time to get things working (e.g. remapping controls, testing at different resolutions).

OB deserved to beat Bioshock, IMO. Oh well, we'll see if 2K can keep up the acclaim.

At least it beat Halo.

So..
Bioshock- 2
Halo 3- 1
Super Mario Galaxy- 1
:D

Back