Nintendo Wii: In the retirement home.

hungryduck

Tank
Reaction score
The wii is becoming a smash hit in retirement homes - this really says something for nintendo, they truly have found a magic formula that makes anyone of any age enjoy videogames.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6191
Nintendo?s efforts seemed to have paid off. The Chicago Tribune is reporting that the Wii is now the latest rage at the Sedgebrook retirement community in Lincolnshire, where the average age is 77. In particular, the Wii Bowling component of Wii Sports has members of the retirement community hooked on playing the Wii installed inside the Sedgebrooks?s clubhouse lounge.

?I've never been into video games, but this is addictive,? said 72-year-old Flora Dierbach. ?They come in after dinner and play. Sometimes, on Saturday afternoons, their grandkids come play with them ? A lot of grandparents are being taught by their grandkids. But, now, some grandparents are instead teaching their grandkids.?

Wii Bowling has become so well received that more than 20 residents signed up to participate in a virtual bowling tournament without the need to leave the clubhouse lounge. Sedgebrook's entertainment committee said that they even have a fan for people to dry their hands before they bowl, just like at a real bowling alley.

cool, huh?

Enjoy the particular console, yes.
Enjoy videogames in general? Highly doubtful.

Call me once one of them gets something of higher quality.

:|

Way to marginalize it. Nobody said Nintendo brought gaming to the elderly...just the Wii (the "magic formula" hungryduck mentions).

I think it's cool that elderly people have fun with the Wii. It says something about the accessible play of the Wii.

I think that is awesome. Just shows how diverse a crowd it caters to. Reminds me of all the stories about the DS.

If that is the case then it doesn't surprise me that it is outselling PS3, Xbox360, DS, PS2... (Jan) I still can't find one at any of my local stores. hehe
I should call em up and see when they get shipments.

There are still people that camp out at Target and Best Buy locations all over the place on the Sunday mornings they get shipments of Wii's. It's crazy.

There still aren't any Wii's in my local stores here as far as I know.

My mum asked me for a Wii for her birthday. To say I was very shocked is an understatement! Even my dad, who hates video games with a passion, had a few games of bowling and tennis and was grinning like the rest of us - 'oh, it actually feels like hitting a ball'. It was especially amusing watching my parents making their Miis (whoever came up with the idea the Mii is a genius)

All in all it reminded me of when we all used to play board games as a family. That doesn't happen anymore, but I get forced to bring the Wii round everyone time I go home to visit the olds.

I was incredibly excited to hear about the elderly folks getting involved with the Wii in this fashion--I am sure it brightens their day that they can compete in all of these fun sports and not have to leave the home, esp. those that can't leave it anyway! Its great news for everyone! Good job Nintendo!!! :thumbs:

However, no Wiis near me either--the security guard at Target said they get in like 20-40 of them occasionally (check the internet for details as to when) but they sell out in a matter of minutes. They give out tickets that you have to get up pretty early for and then they give them out in a very orderly fashion, much like the ration lines of WWII Europe, but I wouldn't get one until some more titles come out anyway.

they're seniors in a retirement home ..did you expect them to rush out and become instant gamers? GrandpaOwns wont be coming to a xbox gamertag anytime soon ...but really who cares? ..it proves that any age group/segment of society can find some enjoyment in video games ..I mean seniors are your hardest sell so much so that the majority of media companies dont even bother advertising to them

just think of it this way: one more old coot who likes video games means one less old coot who might lend a voice to the whole "evils of videogames" movement

However, no Wiis near me either--the security guard at Target said they get in like 20-40 of them occasionally (check the internet for details as to when) but they sell out in a matter of minutes. They give out tickets that you have to get up pretty early for and then they give them out in a very orderly fashion, much like the ration lines of WWII Europe, but I wouldn't get one until some more titles come out anyway.

a coworkers husband has managed to purchase 27 wii's in 3 weeks, he then sells them at a profit ..he purchased every last one individually; so they're available you just have to be there when they come out ..he says it's easier to get them in stores other than eb games/best buy

Warbie said:
My mum asked me for a Wii for her birthday. To say I was very shocked is an understatement! Even my dad, who hates video games with a passion, had a few games of bowling and tennis and was grinning like the rest of us

that's awesome ..my wife is interested as well, she hasnt played a video game in years ..her fave being frogger

This is exactly what Nintendo was going for, too. Finally, a console boasts, "FUN FOR ALL AGES" and succeeds.

Congrats Nintendo.

imagine the old people

grandpa1: pwned boy! dont cheat on me! here comes the ball!
*move arms like trowing a ball*
*cranch*
grandpa1: ouch shouldnt do that
grandpa2:he he who is pwned now?
grandpa1:I am not finished yet
*swing arm so hard that the wiimote go flying piercing the tv*
grandpa1: oh crap run

oh god. this is WRONG. this is bad. very bad.. next thing the apes learn to bowl..

then they play shooters.
then ITS THE WORLD.
this is how we are all going to die. Ms. Cleo told me.

Back