No blood/gore mod?

M

MadCat360

Hi, I'm having problems with my perents concerning the puchase of HL2. They say it's too gory, and that I can't buy it. So, I was wondering, are there any no blood mods that disable ALL blood and gore (AKA, cutting zombies in half)? I've seen this mod: http://mods.moddb.com/4994/, but I don't know if it takes out the gore or not. So if there are any, please post it. I would really like to enjoy HL2!

Also, if I have a no gore mod active, will I be able to use other mods at the same time?

Thanks.

~Mad.

I believe that there are console commands to disable blood and gore, though not the zombies being cut in half, as that is a key gameplay element, not flashy gore effect (the zombie torsos crawl at you).

So that can't be remedied, but blood and gore can.

open up notepad and put these cmd's in there:

violence_ablood 0
violence_agib 0
violence_hblood 0
violence_hgibs 0
cl_show_bloodspray 0

save it as:
autoexec.cfg

and put it in:
c:/program files/valve/steam/steamapps/"your username"/half-life2/hl2/cfg folder

how old are you by the way. sucks your parents are like that. no offence

I'm 15. It does suck. I barely got Far Cry and Halo/Halo 2. I'm just blindshooting for HL2. I figure that this is my only weapon.

MadCat360 said:
I'm 15. It does suck. I barely got Far Cry and Halo/Halo 2. I'm just blindshooting for HL2. I figure that this is my only weapon.

your old enough to see violence, it's on the news every day.

I know. Try telling my parents that, though. They seem to think that people with insesitivity towards gore and violence are more "likely" to do violence. It's stupid. I flinch at the prospect of killing a spider (And I hate spiders). I'm a very gentle, if not placid, person.

Hmm, it would seem that the only thing my parents are concerned about are the zombies... Anyone know of any mods that remove/reskin them to be less... gory?

I just finished playing 30 mins of CSS and I don't feel like being violent....hey THAT KID IS LOOKING AT ME FUNNY!!!!.....Well, I took care of that...Oh crap the cops are here...hopefuly by the time im out of jail HL3 will be in the works! WIAT FOR MEEEEEe....grs

Whilst it sucks the big one, your parents do have the right to decide what you may/may not do. As such, your only option is to convince them that it will not have such an effect on you through intelligent and mature discussion. Given the way you are looking to convince them through disabling gore says to me that you are capable of such discussion, so try that first.

Failing that, use the argument I use against people who say violent games cause people to be violent in real life, as follows:
I have been playing violent games since wolf 3D when I was about 7 or 8. I am now 21 and I have never been violent in any way, and I wouldn't be unless attacked. This is becuase my parents taught me that violence is wrong and brought me up to behave accordinly. As such, parents should not take violent games away from thier children, if they are old enough to enjoy it. This is lazy parenting. They should teach their children that violence is wrong outside of video games and then allow them to play. Denying your child access to video games they are old enough to understand and enjoy is an admital of your failure as a parent.

Tell them that story, and illistrate to them that they have brought you up to understand the difference and as such playing games is perfectly safe for you.

However, I would only use that as a last resort as they may not take it to well.

I just got an answer from my dad. It's not so much me becoming violent they're afraid of.

My dad thinks that when we get desensitized to violence, we lose a part of our humanity. Sort of like the elephants, you know how when they see bones or a corpse of one of thier kind they stay there mourning the loss for a week, even if they never knew the actual elephant that died. He's afraid that I might lose that, and he doesn't want me to. I told him that I wouldn't and that I'm not that cold-hearted, and he's going to re-adjust his thinking and review the game again this weekend.

My hopes arent high, though.

I'm remarkably in control and I'm absolutely NOT desensitized to violence (it still disturbs me greatly, even in video games at some points, though HL2 wasn't too bad).

And my first computer game was the purposely over-gored Wolfenstein 3d, when I was... five.

lol your parents wont let you see voilence when it's all around us. Watch the news or discory channel wild animal things. lol well any ways ur 15 and you probably in high school, and you probably see voilence in your school and are exposed to drugs and alchol, And yet parents wont let you click a mouse at a zombie, lol, no offence or anything.

Parents these days,, Would you parents give entertainment voilence a rest and stop bashing volent video games, or music, or movies for making ppl sick. Ive been playing video games all my life and im not a violent person.

anyways i see your that your dad isnt affraid of turning you into a voilent person but seriously we dont desensatize that much from video games. We desensatize from real things that happen. I grew up half my life on a farm where we would slaughter. That really decensatize me towards chickens (not humans). I just think about them as food now and not life. But I still feel bad when i see people get hurt or when people die. That said you dont just desensatize from voilence but from time and age and from real world events around you.

In normal life im not voilent but in hockey ill kill..... lol parents these days.

LOL SORRY FOR MY LONG RANT BUT IM JUST SERIOUSLY ****IN SICK OF PARENTS FREAKING OUT ABOUT VOILENCE.

MadCat360 said:
I just got an answer from my dad. It's not so much me becoming violent they're afraid of.

My dad thinks that when we get desensitized to violence, we lose a part of our humanity. Sort of like the elephants, you know how when they see bones or a corpse of one of thier kind they stay there mourning the loss for a week, even if they never knew the actual elephant that died. He's afraid that I might lose that, and he doesn't want me to. I told him that I wouldn't and that I'm not that cold-hearted, and he's going to re-adjust his thinking and review the game again this weekend.

My hopes arent high, though.

Well, at least its a better reason than thinking you will turn into a maniac. However, if he still rejects the game, ask him this; "Are you still as sensitive to violence as you were when you were my age?"

The answer will be no (If hes an honest person, if its yes, he is lying) as it is part of the human condition to "desensitize" to violence as you grow. It is a natural process. Possibly games will accelerate the process, but the end result is the same.

Haven't any of you clicked "options." I believe the farthest right tab has a button "Child Lock" or whatever. You click it, and I think it asks for a password and a few options to disable the violence. Tell your dad about this and have fun playing with all the cool features!

I'm rather desensistsed to violence, due to the fact I was brought up around violent movies and violent computer games. It's sad really, I wish I still had some innocence. Still, I'm not about to go out and kill anyone.

-Angry Lawyer

I apologize... it's only in Half-Life 1, although maybe it was an option during install...

15 holy jesus, just buy games on your, own, you wont be able to play the game at its true awesomeness, which sucks, but i am 15 and just went out and bought it.

Ennui said:
I'm remarkably in control and I'm absolutely NOT desensitized to violence (it still disturbs me greatly, even in video games at some points, though HL2 wasn't too bad).

Yeah very true. I mean I've played games like Soldier of Fortune 2 and I'll admit right now I described the gore in it as "cool". But when you see pictures from Iraq showing real gore it's not cool at all. In fact, like you said it's really disturbing.

Yes, video game violence is different. SOF's gore was cool just because it was so fun dismembering the enemies... it's the wanton violence in games like GTA that disturbs me a bit.

And actual killing horrifies me. I rarely cry (once in the past few years, at the end of American History X, and that was just a single tear), but I come close to it every time I see a picture of a dead american soldier. Or an iraqi, for that matter.

i was raised with violence and yeah it dosent disturb me anymore infact its influenced me :sniper:

sometimes i self inflict cuts with paper clips when im board, i have holes in my wall to prove it ;(

i use the bloody hand models and bloody knife in CS:S - it pwns btw yall need to try them :dork:

show your dad grand theft auto, and then tell him my 7 year old cousin's best friend (same age) owns the entire series, his PARENTs bought it for him. sure for some other reasons the kid is an idiot but the game hasnt done anything to him, and its gta, and hes 7! your more than twice his age so surely you can handle hl2.

video game violence doesnt affect me, mainly because i know the difference, as long as you realize the diff between video games, movies, tv, and real life, then it doesnt matter, i watched the movie "saw" and i laughed when the guy cut his foot off, but i was watching some1 do that in real life i would freak out. Half-life2 isnt that bad in terms of violence, and in your options there is a content lock(unless they didnt add it for hl2) same as cs. The most outrages rating on a game i have ever seen is Mature for Halo, that is ridiculos, u fricken shoot lil aliens, and blue and purple blood comes off of them, it is like a lil kiddie game, i think that if u arent shooting real people of things that resemble real ppl than the game should only be teen.

Yeah do wat noldevin said, my cousins where 8 and had true crimes, gta 3, and they prob have san andreas now.

bf2 is gonna be so boring compared to hl2, it will prob have stunning graphics (that slow down ur comp like vietnam and i have a nvidia 5500),but the same old boring battlefield gameplay with no interesting phyisics and just plain boring. it is weird how i can run hl2 on like high medium settings with no lag, but battlefield vietnam just eats up all my cpu usage and graphics card memory. and madcat360 just borrow a friends steam account.

because the battlefield series games have to render humongous areas compared to hl2, and they have to keep track of where everything in the level is, people, vehicles, planes, choppers, portable spawns, everything.

Tsixm said:
Haven't any of you clicked "options." I believe the farthest right tab has a button "Child Lock" or whatever. You click it, and I think it asks for a password and a few options to disable the violence. Tell your dad about this and have fun playing with all the cool features!
I though that was only HL1

I might be mistaken though.

Angry Lawyer said:
I'm rather desensistsed to violence, due to the fact I was brought up around violent movies and violent computer games. It's sad really, I wish I still had some innocence. Still, I'm not about to go out and kill anyone.

-Angry Lawyer

But, would you be disturbed if you saw someone standing next to you have their head completely ripped off and a dog starts eating some pieces off of it?

Wow, MadCat. My dad's exactly like you, as far as violence is concerned... except for the fact that he lets me play anything I want.

Hell, I've been playing wolf 3d as since I was 6. :D Fun/ny stuff.

Wow that sucks. I'm only 12 and my parents got the game for me. Oh and ive played God Of War thats tons more violent and bloody an Half Life 2.

Automatic Kafka said:
The only real answer is to kill your parents.

LOL.

Yeah I'm greatly desensitized to violence and death. Actually, it really doesn't effect me when someone dies, like an aunt that I never met or some distant relative. I wouldn't know how I would feel if someone close to me died, it's never happened before, but it may just be in my personality not to mourn like others do.

im only 14 and my mam and dad dont care what game i get(aww they dont care about me :( lol)
the most violent game i have is soldier of fortune,and we all know a stupidly violent it is,if you where to ask me id say there is no need for violents in games,it just means that the makers get less money because some mams and dads dont alow there kid to get violent games,its realy all stupid.

Games have affected me in more positive ways than negative ways. Which is good ^-^

Desensitization? Lol, that's bs :p. Lemme give you an example :

You know the vid with the American getting decapitated alive, right? I thought that I could handle it (I'm same age as you) and that I wouldn't really react to it. Well, wrong :/ . When I saw it, I almost puked. Damn, that is so ****ing wrong, sick and twisted. Seriously, no person can be so desensitized to not react to THAT. If your parents are so afraid that you'll be desensitized, make them keep you away from morgues, suicide scenes and other shocking stuff.

MadCat360 said:
My dad thinks that when we get desensitized to violence, we lose a part of our humanity.

Tell that to police, and people in the army. And as for gore, doctors see the insides of people evey day and they don't become heartless either.

When some one gets desensitized to violence and gore, it only means that blood and gore dont phase them. Hell, people that are desensitized to violence and gore react beter when something thats violent/gorey happens.

ive seen way worse stuff on the internet. one decapitation where you could see the windpipe moving and blood gurgling all over the place and hear him trying to scream. it didnt really phase me either, weird. i think its just individuals.

Ive saw a guy with his head cracked open, a guy that hit pavement at 50 or 70 something MPH, aguy being cut up, ect. but what you just said tops it all.

Not to stray from the topic but could you PM me about where that video is?

Back