HL1 Mod ideas: Increase difficuly

10n02

Vortigaunt
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have begun to create a HL1 mod that takes the original HL and modify some rules in order to increase the difficulty of the game to a "Master Skill" difficulty. My mod is for everyone who know the game by heart and find it too easy (even in the Hard difficulty). So I'm pretty sure it would be a good experience to force the player to be slow&careful like the first time when he was discovering this game.

Here is the current list of the rules that I have already (or will) modified :

Rules against the player :

#1 monsters give more damage

#2 forbid classical cheats (noclip, impulse 101...): I don't want my mod to be finished with cheats :)

#3 reduce bonus given by health/battery kit/wall charger to a very small bonus ( + 1~2 )

#4 the main way of getting more life is to kill monsters: each time you kill a monster, you gain some life. I think this rule is interesting, because it forces the player to not speed run.

#5 each Save cost you 10 life/armor points. This forces the player to think twice before saving, and to be strategic in the Save management.

#6 NPCs are less vulnerable if touched in arms or legs: the player has to be more precise.

#7 I'm wondering if I will not remove the Hivehand. this weapon simplify a lot the game, and we can even "cheat" with the IA: if the NPC doesn't see us, we can simply kill it with the Hivehand.

#8 NPCs walk faster. <- For the moment I didn't find how to modify that in the HL1 source code. It seems hard to change.

Rules Helping the player:

#9 reduce the spread angle of the MP5: I always though this weapon didn't have enough precision (even in Half-Life 2). Sadly, it's often better to use the simple pistol. This mod is hard, so I'll help the player and reduce the angle of spread. I have also set a more precise cross hair.

#10 improve the crowbar damage: I reward brave players (y)

Rules that I don't change :

#11 life of the NPC is not modified: because I don't want that the player wastes a big amount of time and munition on each monster: the game could become boring.

#12 reduce ammo bonus. I don't want the player to be blocked just because out of ammo.

That's all folks,
I would like to know what you think of all those ideas, and if you have any advice, new ideas, wishes...
Do you know if other mod like that exist ?

For those interested, I'll keep you informed of my work in this thread.
Thanks,

I like the sound of a higher difficulty setting, and I saw something very similar to your idea two weeks ago called Scram Half-Life.

http://scramhalflife.com/about-scram-post/ (via Planet Phillip)

It's a work-in-progress at the moment and while not identical, you may be interested in taking a look at it.

On a side note: Does anyone know if there has ever been a kind of "Nightmare" mode for Half-Life in the spirit of DOOM. Where killed enemies repopulate through teleportation?

Are you a coder? I need a coder.

Back