no cs:s beta for hl2 owners?

A

aznboi04k

this is outrageous! they are going to let cz owner play cs:s beta but they are NOT going to let people with hl2 coupon play beta. what the hell man? i have been grappling on too my coupon for months and months, expecting the game to be out soon. now that the public get a sneak peak of the game, we're NOT invited? GGRRRR VALVE!!! curse you and your wicked tormenting ways.

HL2 has nothing to do with CS:S, but CZ does....so yeah you got something for free, people had to pay for CZ so, it is fair, quit complaining, if you want to test it, buy CZ >_>

The beta is only for two weeks. HL2 owners get the full game after that.

It's not a "sneak peek" of the game. It's a single level of CS:Source, intended to stress-test the netcode.

Pi Mu Rho said:
It's not a "sneak peek" of the game. It's a single level of CS:Source, intended to stress-test the netcode.

wouldn't it make more sense to test it on people with the hl2 coupon then? they are the one with the hardware designed to work with the game. what better ideal scenario are there?

aznboi04k said:
wouldn't it make more sense to test it on people with the hl2 coupon then? they are the one with the hardware designed to work with the game. what better ideal scenario are there?
The CZ owners on steampowered.com were complaining about how CZ wasn't different enough from CS.

what a stupid pointless thread (the one in the link not this one) how do they go from a email to gabe where the question isnt even answered to somehow hl2 coupon holders will get to try out cs:s beta? lol wow.

aznboi04k said:

Yeah there was coupons in 9600 Pro's, XT's, 9800XT's and a few others....so I mean why does it matter? I see on my gfx box at home "preferred graphics card for hl2" X800 Pro btw...I got no coupon.

acme420 said:
what a stupid pointless thread (the one in the link not this one) how do they go from a email to gabe where the question isnt even answered to somehow hl2 coupon holders will get to try out cs:s beta? lol wow.

um....

The first deployment is to cafes, then to people who bought CZ or have the ATI coupons.

If it's not a fake email (I'm not suggesting that it is), then it strongly suggests that it's true.

i must be going blind. prolly the horrible color scheme which is why i couldnt see the par t about the coupons.

I don't see what's so confusing about it. He asked when CS:S beta was coming out, and Gabe told him. No actual dates, but it was still relevant.

can't wait to play cs:s beta :D any chance of me knowing when it will come out?

The first deployment is to cafes, then to people who bought CZ or have the ATI coupons.

What's so confusing about that?

*reads again*

No I still don't see how that answers the question :p

I'm reading it as "you'll be getting it after the cafes do, as long as you have CZ or a coupon".

KagePrototype said:
I'm reading it as "you'll be getting it after the cafes do, as long as you have CZ or a coupon".

Exactly, it wasn't confusing

I guess that could be how he means it. Still doesn't strike me as the most usual way to answer the question though.

I dunno whether this adds to or detracts from the credibility of the mail.

Maybe detracts from because it doesn't seem right.

Maybe adds to because if it was a fake surely they'd have made it clearer and put a bit more effort in.

The guys at valve spend about 3 seconds skipping over the email and then another 3 seconds replying, whereas fakers spend about 10 minutes trying to make it seem authentic :p

I sent an email to Gabe...I'll let you all know...I'll also post in Valve Info Thread

Hi. The current plan is to make the CS:S beta open to people who have an ATI coupon, probably at the same time that it's made available to those who own CZ.

Greg Coomer said:
Hi. The current plan is to make the CS:S beta open to people who have an ATI coupon, probably at the same time that it's made available to those who own CZ.

:bounce: Thanks Greg cant wait.

Greg Coomer said:

U couldn't have mentioned this earlier before I bought CZ :hmph:

Greg Coomer said:

Woohoo!! I can play the beta without ponying up $40!!

Ah well. My fault for jumping the gun I guess...

...Tooshay Valve....tooshay

Greg Coomer said:

Will this include users who have already traded in their key for the Valve premier pack? (please say yes)

Six Three said:
Will this include users who have already traded in their key for the Valve premier pack? (please say yes)

Yes, the premier pack was really just a gift to hold us over until HL2 is released. People who chose not to get the premier pack either already had it, or didn't want to download it due to 56k.

Time2Choose said:
Yes, the premier pack was really just a gift to hold us over until HL2 is released. People who chose not to get the premier pack either already had it, or didn't want to download it due to 56k.

It said in the fineprint (I think) that it was one or the other, HL2 or the pack..?

From the ATi site:

When you buy the new RADEON™ 9800 XT you will get a FREE copy of Half-Life® 2 once the game is released and available through retail. Until then, Valve and ATI are offering the Valve Premier Pack free, which includes the games: Half-Life, Counter Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Deathmatch Classic, Half-Life: Opposing Force and Ricochet. This is a limited time bonus offer that expires once Half-Life 2 is available.

:frown: I love how I bought the 9800XT with my stupid Dell and they didn't give me the coupon

Subatomic said:
:frown: I love how I bought the 9800XT with my stupid Dell and they didn't give me the coupon

y0u g0t s3rv3d, thats what you get for buying from dell instead of building a comp yourself.

i got a 9600 pro 246MB (not for the coupon), but someone said i should have gotten a coupon, is this true?

Reaperman said:
i got a 9600 pro 246MB (not for the coupon), but someone said i should have gotten a coupon, is this true?

I believe it was the 9600se and 9600xt that came with the coupon. Thats how I got my coupon and my 9600pro(in a 9600se box :dork: )

Back