No Half-Life 3 ? No More Half-Life ?

Reaction score
Let me start by reminding the history of half-life...

Half-Life 1 was Released in 1998 as a very successful game of all the time , Expansion Packs completed the story and 6 years later the sequel Half-Life 2 was released. Also the episodes which completed the story of 20 years after the Black Mesa Incident.

But what happened ? Eli Vance died and No more Half-Life ?
Half-Life was Gordon Freeman , not anyone else. Not the Combine !
What about G-Man ?
What about the events after the death of Eli Vance ?

Why Valve is not going to create any Half-Life game ?

This is The Main Question...

Valve mismanagement, focus on different IPs, engine tech creep, and more. They're most likely still working on it, but the typical 'half life' mechanics would be woefully outdated and lazy in 2016 and later, so they will have to do something fresh and interesting to have the same impact HL2 did, but even that is unlikely.

I suspect we'll see it sometime soon, but it may not be what you want.

I understand the argument that HL3 has to be "fresh" (whatever that means), but I disagree. I genuinely could not care less about new mechanics or revolutionary whatever. The core gameplay of all existing Half-Life games is more than satisfying for me. I just want to see the end of the story.

If anything, I wish more modern games basked in the elegant simplicity of the HL games. More than anything, I'm sick of contemporary games literally spelling out for me what I'm supposed to be doing at every possible turn.

If anything, I wish more modern games basked in the elegant simplicity of the HL games. More than anything, I'm sick of contemporary games literally spelling out for me what I'm supposed to be doing at every possible turn.

I agree with that, but i want some degree of innovation and originality. Not necessarily a total shift of HL style, but i don't want an Half-life 2 episode. They were great, but too many time has passed. I need a jump comparable of HL to HL2 or Portal 1 to Portal 2: same basic mechanics, lots of new things. Otherwise it would be just like the newest Call of Duty.

The new Wolfenstein games lean towards achieving those aspirations.

I understand the argument that HL3 has to be "fresh" (whatever that means), but I disagree. I genuinely could not care less about new mechanics or revolutionary whatever. The core gameplay of all existing Half-Life games is more than satisfying for me. I just want to see the end of the story.

The problem is that if they continue with the ground-breaking features of HL2 (which was primarily showing off the source engine with physics and such) you will most certainly want to murder someone after the first physics puzzle. I think the best thing they can do is polish the shooting, work on the AI (combine AI was impressive but required large open areas with lots of cover, which hl2 almost never had, so you ended up with dogpiles), and focus on being a story-driven shooter with nice scenery.

I think that would be the best possible solution, but I guarantee there will be some hamfisted attempt at 'freshness', which I agree is unneeded overall. I find it to have become a bit dated (in things other than graphics of course), which never really happened to HL1.

Most of all I just want it capped off. The wait is horrid, though I lost motivation to care long, long ago.

You know , a new game has to have new things to show. for example , HL2 added some more weapons and puzzles to HL1. But yeah , the end is important.

I agree with that, but i want some degree of innovation and originality. Not necessarily a total shift of HL style, but i don't want an Half-life 2 episode. They were great, but too many time has passed. I need a jump comparable of HL to HL2 or Portal 1 to Portal 2: same basic mechanics, lots of new things. Otherwise it would be just like the newest Call of Duty.

1. Yeah , HL2 is now a game that doesn't match with the today's game standards (it needs more motion , aiming , etc).
2. As long as i remember COD : Black Ops III had a good gameplay and it added more satisfying things , What is the problem with that ?

The problem is that if they continue with the ground-breaking features of HL2 (which was primarily showing off the source engine with physics and such) you will most certainly want to murder someone after the first physics puzzle. I think the best thing they can do is polish the shooting, work on the AI (combine AI was impressive but required large open areas with lots of cover, which hl2 almost never had, so you ended up with dogpiles), and focus on being a story-driven shooter with nice scenery.

And i believe that they have to add more things such as more enemies , more locations , more environment , etc.

But anyway : Did anyone confirm that there's a sequel/prequel ?

2. As long as i remember COD : Black Ops III had a good gameplay and it added more satisfying things , What is the problem with that ?

None at all, if you enjoy that kind of game. It was a generalization so it's gonna be always unfair. It was more a critic to all annual releases really, i've just mentioned Call of Duty because it's also an fps and it's very well known. COD, Assassin's creed and other annual releases almost always suffer from lack of innovation adding little to the gameplay. Personally i think it's a problem, but i still enjoy many of these games. My point is that HL can't be this way, it needs innovation not only because of the time that has passed, but also to maintain the quality of the series.

I dispute the idea that HL3 needs to be technologically innovative for it to be a great sequel.

I dispute the idea that HL3 needs to be technologically innovative for it to be a great sequel.
Innovation and originality in gameplay are not necessarily technological innovation. If he have both: great, but at a gameplay level such innovation is needed.

As you guys know , almost last month DOOM was released. 12 years after it's final game.

12 years passed and we got what we wanted : A reboot of the game that almost all of us loved.
Now , Id is announcing QUAKE !
And before , they released 2 Wolfenstein games !

But :

12 years passed and Valve didn't even announce Half-Life 3 or whatever it is...
Yeah CS : GO was a recent CS game , but CS isn't all we want.
We want Half-Life. It is never finished since there is no info about the events after the HL2 E2.

Sorry if I poped up an old thread guys , but I couldn't just post another thread...

you want it so bad, go make it yourself. whats stopping you...

You don't want it ?!

I'm not Valve !

The current creator and maybe publisher is the Valve team.

Also , creating an HL3 requires a huge team and a new engine. It's not totally go make it yourself.
And , it won't be canonical if I make it. Will it ?

Back