No HL3?

Max35

Tank
Reaction score
After reading the recent interview at hl2world, I'm starting to wonder if there'll be a half-life 3. Doug stated "What is HL3?" I remember a quote from an interview with Gabe saying something about "it's better to have five one year projects, the one five year project." Maybe they will start development of HL3 after the HL episodes have been finished, but it is starting to seem like we aren't going to see HL3 for a long time, if at all.

you heard this from hl2world...no wonder, this is the place for real hl2 news. just forget the bullshit that you heard from them and just stay over here

EDIT: woo woo, 1800 posts!

As long as Valve stays around (and I can't see why they wouldn't) there will be a Half-Life 3. At one time they said that they will also use the Source engine for it, so unless that decision changes we will undoubtably be seeing Half-Life 3 sooner than the time it took between the release of Half-Life 1 and 2.

Doug is a gaylord. Besides there is going to be an HL3, just I'm sure it's gonna take awhile.

If there was no HL3 then the best PC series in the world would of ended with a cliffhanger of some sort.

Mind you, I never got to finish HL2 =/

Aftermath?
They did say something about ending Gordon's story.

I really don't think there will be a Half-Life 3... what Lombardi said just kind of backs up my suspicion. I figure they'll finish the series with Aftermath or a few more episodic releases.

For some reason I don't imagine Valve going on to make more Half-Lifes. You really can't top what they've already done.

I, for one, am very interested in what Valve will pursue after Half-Life is complete.

I thought it was confirmed there WOULD be a hl3? Wasnt it in an interview?

He was only saying that because it hasn't been announced. duh.

Well, if the HL series does finish on Aftermath or maybe a couple of episodes after it, i won't mind at all tbh, as we have all had a great experience, plus im sure that they'd create a bigger and even better game some years later :)

maybe it was a retorical question

what is HL3, maybe giving light to what the player of hl3 decides the game goes, opening up Halflife to more room and less or a linearity

I remember there was an interview before HL2's release where they said they would be working on HL3. Times change, though.

All doug was saying was that hl3 hadn't been announced yet, so there was no way there'd be any need to discuss it. It's not "on the table" currently. Its like saying "What are you talking about? we never mentioned that" (officially)

after HL2:Aftermath, i doubt they would make an HL3 or else they would be stretching the story and eventually end up with HL5 or something.

I think if they did that, it would screw a lot of things up.

Everyone was hoping for a Starcraft 2, but that never happened.
And everyone still loves Broodwars.
So...

True, but the Half-Life fanbase is massive. Very massive. Cutting the series short would only piss a lot of people off and effect their credibility.

HL2world is basically the Fox News of HL2 websites... and thats not a good thing.

they will make hl3 for sure. would be kind of stupid not to earn the money for it :\

No half life 3? what you say? I think that its possible that it could end with Aftermath or episodes after that since at the end the gman says "if and when your time comes again". So you cant rule out the "if". However, if that happened, all your base would belong to the Combine huh?

HL3 will someday come out. Valve and their publisher aren't stupid enough too not make as much money as they can with the half life lisence.

TheLastFreeMan said:
HL3 will someday come out. Valve and their publisher aren't stupid enough too not make as much money as they can with the half life lisence.
EA, *shudder*

Drackard said:
Well, if the HL series does finish on Aftermath or maybe a couple of episodes after it, i won't mind at all tbh, as we have all had a great experience, plus im sure that they'd create a bigger and even better game some years later :)

hmm...didn't Gabe confirm shortly after HL2's release that there would be a HL3? i remember it...well unless i was dreaming but i don't think i was.
anyway so far into the HL story, personally i think theres way too much going on for the series to end in AM or in any of these episodic contents Valve has planned.

i definitely think there will be a HL3 and if its the last of the series, its gonna be packed with tons of interesting stuff...if not, then theres obviously going to be more HL games which i'd be very happy with.

plus, lets not forget the news of Valve and Warren Spector working together in the future for which it seems like a totally new series :D

guys...i got it....how about....how about.......HALF....LIFE....listen...HALF...LIFE.......2!!!! OMFG IM SO SMART!!!

A new saga has been in the planning for a while i think, now with the Warren Spector and Steam it looks like Valve has a Sub-Company, kinda like Rockstar North etc...

Max35 said:
After reading the recent interview at hl2world, I'm starting to wonder if there'll be a half-life 3. Doug stated "What is HL3?" I remember a quote from an interview with Gabe saying something about "it's better to have five one year projects, the one five year project." Maybe they will start development of HL3 after the HL episodes have been finished, but it is starting to seem like we aren't going to see HL3 for a long time, if at all.
Either Valve will develop HL3 or the rights will be sold to Rockstar Games or some suckyshit publisher like EA and the likes. There WILL be an HL3 because there's still lots of money to be made in the franchise.

I have a felling that there is a conspiracy going on here, most people who say "No Half-Life 3?" Is an undercover agent working for Valve making you realy want to buy Half-Life 3 when it comes out.

Oh yes, this is just to increase post count *runs off*

Maybe instead of realeasing one big game for HL3, they'll just finish the series with episodes.

Death Spike said:
Maybe instead of realeasing one big game for HL3, they'll just finish the series with episodes.

I surely hope they don't do that. I guess they would earn more that way, but it's, in my opinion, not a good way to finish a game like half life.

There will be an ending and closure to the series, because it wouldn't be like Valve to not have an ending. Technically, the combine and the plot of hl2 is so out of the ordinary that its remarkable that it meshed as smoothly as it did. I think the series will end eventually, because you can only produce good things so many times. Unlike Halo. Chances are the game will be carried by episodic content to deal with subplots, clarify facts and such, and then end in Hl3 (or 4, if you ccount the episodes as 3), as a mega game with a new engine. Then Valve will go onto bigger and better things using ideas and concepts that Half-Life pioneered. Technically, Doom ended a while ago, as did Marathon. And System Shock. Yet people still play and buy those games, because they are classics.
We need to realize who Valve is, and note one important fact.

They're not Bungie. They don't have control from anyone or thing. They're not going to be producing forty sequels unlike Halo will probably do

Remember kids, EA doesn't have any actual control over Valve. All EA does is market and sell the CD's and boxes for HL games.

Nah, i don't remember smoking anything before i've read some interview with Gabe, saying that they're working on hl3 (and that was before hl2 was even out).

Walter said:
Nah, i don't remember smoking anything before i've read some interview with Gabe, saying that they're working on hl3 (and that was before hl2 was even out).

Well, if you were smoking something (Weed?) then you'de be to spaced out to remember it, wouldn't you? :p

Personally, I think they'll be working on smaller projects for a little while (i.e. HL episodes, expanding Steam, TF 2, CS:S, and DOD:S) and while all those projects come to a close, they will all begin merging into the Half-Life 3 development team, which will end the series and allow Valve to move onto a new franchise.

They presume you made a typo. Similar if you go to radeon.com (IIRC), it says it has nothing to do with video cards, and there is an 'enter' link and a link to Ati's website.

Ennui said:
I really don't think there will be a Half-Life 3... what Lombardi said just kind of backs up my suspicion. I figure they'll finish the series with Aftermath or a few more episodic releases.

Yeah, there probably won't be a Half-Life 3... and Gordon's story ending right after the HL2 episodes would seem justified (and it is a good time to end the Half-Life series too).

There will be a HL3. If just to finish with a finishing game, to end a the trilogy.

They just get tired of fools asking them stupid questions, what do u expect? that they will tell you everything you want to know? Then there would be nothing left to make a surpriing new game from.

His answer was like that because, its stupid to say when is hl3 comming out.

They answered like that because the question was stupid and he told them the answer of "what is hl3" because hl3 doesnt exist yet. It doesnt mean there wont be a HL3.

So dont be so feeble, learn what the situation is like and stop misinterpreting everything people say. Also stop jumping to the wrong assumptions about things.

I predict that if the developers wish to issue addons regulary each year to fill up and provide what is now a close knit story, that they will release the additions more regulary. As the game is going to continue in its time at the moment, these add-ons will provide o that, it also gives the developers to perfect each stage of the story. It also allows them to continue with the use of a great graphics engine for now.

There will be a half-life3 i think, it will be a big end game to the trilogy and will be the culmination of alot of these future "addons". It will be the big fanale, they might use another graphic engine to do it with.

O RLY?

Doesn't matter to me what game is made by Valve - it'd be an outstanding game anyway.

Back