No Mom, just one more turn... (Civ V)

Because technically, there's still got to be a million-to-one chance that a spear can be used to disarm a tank anyway.

I'll withhold any judgment about the AI until I've continued to increase it, but so far it's ****ing terrible. Not only are they just bad, but they're hardly any fun either. Not one time could I ever get one of those stubborn little assholes to give in to a demand, no matter how teeny tiny I made it, when they were very clearly way outmatched. They'd just wait until I was busting down the defenses of their final city and then offer me some sort of lame peace treaty (most of them waiting until they had virtually nothing to give). I could never get any sort of reasonable trade going either... they'd want 3 of my resources for 1 of theirs. Ya, **** you, time to die.

There's some other stuff I'm still a bit lost on, like why most of cities had such a lack of production, even toward the end of my game. 30 turns to build a colosseum in my capital city? Seriously? Mighta been 'cause my cities were too close... at least, I hope so. Everything just seemed to be taking a lot more turns compared to Civ 4.

The AI won't want to trade away the last of their resources. If they have extra then they'll do 1 for 1 trades all the time.

Pay attention to how much production your cities have (the hammer icon). To really get good production in a city it needs to be around some hills.

I remember when one of my gunships in Civ 4 died to an archer.

I guess one of the arrows got caught in the fuselage and the engine exploded?

The AI won't want to trade away the last of their resources. If they have extra then they'll do 1 for 1 trades all the time.

Pay attention to how much production your cities have (the hammer icon). To really get good production in a city it needs to be around some hills.

I'm beginning to learn the AI's behavior, so it's becoming easier to make trades with them. Most of them are common sense. If they are preparing for or are in a war, they wont trade for your luxuries (because it'll drain gold that they need) or for their strategic resources (obviously to help make advanced units). However, they will certainly trade away luxuries of their own (even if they only have one) and gladly trade for your strategic resources while in a war.

Outside of war, they generally wont trade for the last of anything without a huge incentive on your part.

Anyways, in my game the Bismark finally got what was coming to him. After a war of about 30 turns with me (before he asked me to call an end to it I might add), literally everyone on my continent declared war on him (4 other civs).

I then went to explore the other continent for the first time, and found that Catherine had emerged insanely powerful, leaving Ghandi and the Ottoman Empire barely standing, and China dead.

With just under half the game to go, I must figure out a way to topple the Russian Empire while half the world deals with Germany.

Don't you just love it?

I plan on maining Russia.

Oh hell yeah. The game has gotten better and better as time goes on, and I'm figuring out how to manipulate the others into my scheme for world domination.

Finished my second game just now... warlord difficulty, 6 players, earth map, playing as Alexander (I like my city states!). It was still way too easy. .

"Warlord: Easy"

Funny thing that.
I think they also knocked down the difficulties for all but the highest settings in order to make the game more accessible, so Civ4 'normal' difficulty is probably still going to be a bit harder than Civ5 Prince.

Had a lot of fun playing for a few hours last night as Oda Nobunaga.
It took me a long time, but I just connected to an iron resource and I have the Samurai researched and when I get home i'm going to build some ****ing samurai and use my period units to wage some war! That is, until I get the Zeros, in which case I'm going to order them all to dive into my opponents ships.

Samurai are phenominal in this game. Their strength is higher than any other unit of that same tech level (to equal it you need riflemen or knights), and with Bushido they become very hard to kill.

"Warlord: Easy"

Funny thing that.
I think they also knocked down the difficulties for all but the highest settings in order to make the game more accessible, so Civ4 'normal' difficulty is probably still going to be a bit harder than Civ5 Prince.

Bleh.. I started a game on Prince since it was on Chieftan by default and got my ass kicked. It all started because I was attacking this city-state because another one wanted me to. Then Arabia allied with it and I stopped attacking (even though I couldn't have beaten it anyways). So like 20 turns later Arabia's like "well **** you I'm attacking your ass" and proceeded to do so. I held of their attacks with Oslo, but then out of nowhere Egypt joins them along with literally everye around except napolean. I lose one of my cities and I'm down to two units. Luckily everyone decides that peace is ok and demand virtually all of my production for 30 turns. I actually ended up giving up on that since after about 50 turns I'm still barely producing anything and still only had two antiquated units.

It seems to me like it's much easier to advance to a scientific victory than any other simply because there's nothing that really takes away from science points. You have to get resources for food and production, but science is just based on how many buildings you have boosting it and never slows down. I guess in the end a scientific victory requires adequate production though. I figure if you're weak and startedbuilding spaceship parts... people would come beat you down.

I started a new round with the Russians and they seem much better than anyone else. They gain production from resources which is great and that barracks building that makes expansion tiles cost less culture has made my cities massive. It always sucks when you have more tiles than you can seemingly work with your citizens, but it's always nice to have options. I think I'm going to work toward a cultural victory this time since I have my own continent and I think I can keep it defended fairly easily with some ships and some patrol units to squash hostile invasions. Just have to take all the area I can before people try to build a city on a part I don't have yet.

I guess what I'm saying is, the AI isn't too terrible at least on Prince. They do weird things, but Arabia really handed it to me. They had iron and they made use of it.

I guess what I'm saying is, the AI isn't too terrible at least on Prince. They do weird things, but Arabia really handed it to me. They had iron and they made use of it.

I agree. Warlord for me was just so easy that it stopped being fun. Prince provides me with challenges, I actually have to earn my victory.

I do wish they had normal titles for the difficulty.
When you select a difficulty it tells you what it is next to that, as Eejit demonstrated - "Warlord: Easy."

Why do I get the feeling a few people missed this little detail? :p

I've been playing India, heading for a small empire cultural victory, with any luck. I have two cities of my own, and captured Thebes from Egypt, then smacked them around till they realised not to mess with me. Currently I get just under 170 culture/turn, should go to about 225 in a few turns once hermitage finishes :)
Still, last time the list came up China had 4 more cultural unlocks than I did despite having far more cities and being total warmongers. TBH I think China are a bit too powerful at the moment, they're the ideal warfare civ with Paper Maker to get gold (as well as helping research ofc), good unique unit and powerful civ ability.

When you select a difficulty it tells you what it is next to that, as Eejit demonstrated - "Warlord: Easy."

Why do I get the feeling a few people missed this little detail? :p

I know it is there. That is how I know that prince is normal :p

But nothing is wrong with just easy,normal,hard etc

But I don't seem to have the Babylonians in my game.

Deluxe edition only.

Man I was looking for just one more reason to buy the deluxe edition and that would have been it. Why was't that listed in the Steam deluxe edition things? I never saw that anywhere.

The preorder content like mappacks come with keycodes via retail. DLC is almost certainly on the way anyway.

Why was't that listed in the Steam deluxe edition things? I never saw that anywhere.

Reading might have helped.

70235923.jpg

Also... Holy shit im ****ed. I decided to try going diplomatic this game, and refrain from military action as much as possible. I'm on good terms with almost everybody (except Bismark, the only guy i've been been at war with, and he got demolished by Neb after surrendering to me, so **** him), but peace is only going to last while they're all still beating down on Greece. I'm in Neb's way for his expansion, and Ramk calls me a warmonger because I took out a city-state earlier. Which is bullshit because look at his military! HES calling ME a warmonger?

civ5screen0002.jpg

I think it was, the soundtrack is really great, and the behind the scenes video is really good too.

Somewhat ashamed to say this is my first Civ game, but I'm loving it so far.

Jumped into a new game (Prince) on a large earth map with Japan just to quickly see what it was like...and here I am 400+ turns later. **** this game.

Still learning a lot, but at this point for me to have any chance to win I've got to conquer the entire planet with about 65 turns left till 2050 (I think). I never could quite make my mind up whether to go for the science victory or domination and didn't commit to either one and I'm paying for it now. I'm producing 450-500 science per turn and the late game techs literally take about 6-8 turns each but it's still not enough. I've got the biggest army as well which is making it hard finanically, but they've all basically got so many promotions that they're gods. I really don't want to throw away all that XP by destroying units.

All that neutral area above my three eastern cities on the minimap is razed Arabian territory. But even if I somehow do manage to take Washington, Delhi, Mecca, London and Athens - that still leaves the two biggest empires in China and Russia across the atlantic ocean. D:

Why not just go for a score victory? You look like you are in a good position to win.

Heh, the Japanese city names in Africa and the American city names in Europe made me laugh.

Why not just go for a score victory? You look like you are in a good position to win.

Yeah, I guess that's an option. Although China, Russia and Arabia are all currently ahead of me by 200-300 points. That could change if I start taking some cities. I did try that already though and despite building a whole bunch of colluseums, theatres and whatever else all over my empire the unhappiness hit from the added population is just too much. All my military units start taking penalties and production takes a nose dive so I've just been forced to burn down everything as I go.

Jumped into a new game (Prince) on a large earth map with Japan just to quickly see what it was like...and here I am 400+ turns later. **** this game. D:

Same with me. I came home around 21:00, Steam had unlocked the game, dabbled a bit with the tutorial, thought "**** it" and started a game as the Romans on the largest world possible. Totally forgot about the time and now it is suddenly past 04:00 in the morning. This game is gonna cost me so much sleep ... Didn't get to 400+ turns though. I am around 1500 AD now.

I am concentrating on tech. Didn't fight any real wars yet, just barbarians and a city state. I have adopted another city state and that keeps supplying me with military units so I concentrate on building other stuff. Very convenient. I quite like the city states. Best moment with them so far was when all the city states formed a pact to attack one civ. You could get extra +rep from if you donated military units to one of the cities.

Also really enjoying the music. Fireaxis loves their classical music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CjoCAemK6Y

diplomaticvictory.jpg

And I nuked like two people

also, honor/order/rationalism here, rest of the trees are smalltime

After going for cultural victory I can say that all the social trees can be pretty sick depending on your playstyle. The higher-tech level ones in particular contain policies which are at least as good as most Wonder bonuses.
Definitely worthwhile.

Just placed my order a few minutes ago on Amazon, should have it by Tuesday. The demo really sealed the deal for me, haven't had that much fun playing a game in quite a while.

sooo.. I have an iron mine, it has an improvement on it and a citizen working on it, but I can't make any iron required units, halp?

*EDIT* and I have a trade route to the capital

sooo.. I have an iron mine, it has an improvement on it and a citizen working on it, but I can't make any iron required units, halp?

Do you need a road connecting it to your city?

Ok, so I just played a 7-hour game on Settler difficulty, with one opposing Civ on a tiny Pangaea map until well into the 1900s, with War having never been declared once in the history of the earth, and it was still pretty fun (I could have ended the game in BC. China had one city for 3000 years).

One minor annoyance: every city started demanding that marble be connected to the trade network, and after hundreds of years of searching, I found a single tile of the stuff on a one-tile-island. I think it was probably reachable by establishing a city on a specific tile on the coast, but what a pain in the ass! Oh well, it only gets you a phallocentric 'We love the King' day anyway.

Can the resource also be tied up in a unit or facility (or a trade)?

*EDIT* and I have a trade route to the capital

Does it show iron on the list of strategic resources at top of your screen?

**** BISMARK!

I start this game as India trying to do a small empire cultural victory... like 10 turns after I stumble on bismark for absolutely no reason he's just like "**** YOU I'MA KILL YO ASS"

So we've been fighting it out and currently he has like 50 of those Landskenicktorzeins (pikemen on steroids) shoving their pikes up my ass in my capital. I think I'm going to start again and try it without Bismark's warmongering ass.

I haven't let myself play it yet because I'm buried deep in schoolwork right now, but today I gave in and spent some time playing as Caesar. After a couple hundred turns I have to say I love this installment. I haven't quite gotten used to the hex grid but it's definitely an improvement, the interface is VASTLY improved over any previous Civ game, and I absolutely love the way combat works now.

Too early to tell, but I suspect this might be my favorite Civ since Civ 2 (or AC).

I haven't let myself play it yet because I'm buried deep in schoolwork right now, but today I gave in and spent some time playing as Caesar. After a couple hundred turns I have to say I love this installment. I haven't quite gotten used to the hex grid but it's definitely an improvement, the interface is VASTLY improved over any previous Civ game, and I absolutely love the way combat works now.

Too early to tell, but I suspect this might be my favorite Civ since Civ 2 (or AC).

How have you gotten to a couple hundred turns? I have only barely made it past 200 and i've been playing a couple hours each day for the past few days.

:eek:

Back