No sound in game or sound test

ahardy668

Reaction score
Something happened to my sound in CS:S. It was working fine earlier today and the only thing I have been doing is adding some lines to the cfg file that have nothing to do with sound.

Is it possible that I may have changed something in that file by accident and if so, what may it have been??

BTW, sound still works fine in other programs. Also I have not changed any audio settings that I'm aware of in the CS:S options menu.

The files I added/changed.

cl_allowdownload "0"
cl_allowupoad "0"
mp_decals "0"
cl_show_bloodspray "0"
cl_show_splashes "0"
r_decals "0"
hud_saytext_time "0"

If I changed something else I did it unknowingly. Also, if you know of another thread this was discussed in I will gladly look there if I am directed to it. Thanks for your help.

Well, since no replies maybe I'm the only one....hehe.

Anyway here's what I've tried so far with no luck.

1.Deleted the config.cfg and restarted CSS and let it rebuild the file.

2.Deleted my entire user-name profile from within the SteamApps folder and let it rebuild that.

The only thing left is to delete one of the .gcf files and let it re-download it. The base source shared sounds is 1 gig....hate to have to do that one.

Again, sounds in other games on my PC work, it's only CSS.

Ok I tried something else.

1. Moved all preload files to another location.
2. Uninstalled then reinstalled steam and let it update.
3. Moved all preload files back to the steamapps folder.
4. Started CS:S and still no sound!!

WTH is going on here, I have reached the end of my ideas. If a moderator or someone who knows how to reach Valve directly would let me know I would like to email them about it.

Maybe try updating your sound drivers. (im sorry noone is helping you out) And i don't really know what is wrong.

That's ok, it's obviously a rare problem.....pretty sure it's not my drivers as other games, steam or otherwise, work ok and it was working yesterday in CS:S.

What I'm doing now is I have moved my preload files again to another location and I'm letting steam fetch my CS:S files again (this is taking a while and it's still not done). After that I am going to delete my user folder and let it rebuild and hopefully that will do it. Otherwise it's looking like a fresh OS install.

Well, just wanted to give one last update, as if anybody cares. :LOL:

Seriously though, I ended up completely uninstalling my Soundblaster Live and going in and manually deleting all of the driver files that were left and when I reinstalled the drivers I had sound in CS:S.

However it is still puzzling to me how a corrupted sound driver was only affecting CS:S and not my other games......one of life's little mysteries I guess.......I'm just glad it's workin' now. \o/

Note to self.....make Ghost backup image immediately.

probably because valve is using a preprietory sound engine for their game.

DAM! i have the same problem and i didnt edit nothing... some helps please?
;(

Back