Not the happy news: 6 year old boy watches father fall to his death at baseball game

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
http://www.wfaa.com/home/related/Fan-falls-out-of-stands-at-Rangers-game-125191319.html

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) -- Reigning AL MVP Josh Hamilton grabbed the foul ball that ricocheted into left field and tossed it into the stands, as he has countless times before.
Shannon Stone, who was at the game with his young son, caught the ball but tumbled over a railing and plunged 20 feet onto concrete. The 39-year-old firefighter from Brownwood died at a hospital a short time later, the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office said.
Oakland reliever Brad Ziegler was in the visitor's bullpen in left-center field, not far from where Stone fell. When Stone was put on a stretcher, Ziegler said, the firefighter told his tenders that his son was "up there by himself" and asked them to check on the boy.

Someone post some happy news quick, shits getting real depressing this week.

That's terrible. I don't know what would have been better for him... realizing as he's falling that he's going to die and dying instantly, or surviving and thinking he survived and was going to make it but falling unconcious and then dying without knowing the true extents of his injuries and his doom. Though I don't know if that's how it happened... but with such head trama I would think so, the unconciousness anyway.

****, I'm scared to watch that video. Do you see it all? This is really depressing and I don't want to put a vivid image in my brain too.

You see him fall from the railing. That's it. Some wall blocks the rest. Imagination does the rest for you.

Yeah, the video's not too bad, it doesn't show you anything graphic, just the guy going over the railing and then falling behind the video screen.

Still... Dayum!

Yeah, the video's not too bad, it doesn't show you anything graphic, just the guy going over the railing and then falling behind the video screen.

Still... Dayum!

Again and again and again. I swear the media just eats this stuff up like it's candy.

That's terrible. I don't know what would have been better for him... realizing as he's falling that he's going to die and dying instantly, or surviving and thinking he survived and was going to make it but falling unconcious and then dying without knowing the true extents of his injuries and his doom. Though I don't know if that's how it happened... but with such head trama I would think so, the unconciousness anyway.

I personally would much rather just fall unconscious and die rather than sitting around know what was about to happen.
I wonder if he would have survived if the screen didn't force him to fall face first.

****, I'm scared to watch that video. Do you see it all? This is really depressing and I don't want to put a vivid image in my brain too.

Don't watch it, it's not graphic but you see him dive for the ball and lose his balance and tumble over the railing, and they show it in slow motion so you can see his adorable little son right next to him with his little catcher's mitt and everything. ****ing tragic.

If it was just some dude I wouldn't be as sad about this but for a little kid like that to lose his dad during a bonding experience like this... and because you know the dad probably went for the ball mostly because he knew it would make his son's day... AND the guy is a firefighter which is one step below angelic in my book... ugh. :(

Why do you guys post the saddest shit imaginable? Why not "Son watches father win a million dollars?"

Not what I wanted to read first thing in the morning :(

Well in my OP I asked someone to post happy news, but nobody has yet, so I assume there is none to be had.

Ennui said:
If it was just some dude I wouldn't be as sad about this but for a little kid like that to lose his dad during a bonding experience like this... and because you know the dad probably went for the ball mostly because he knew it would make his son's day... AND the guy is a firefighter which is one step below angelic in my book... ugh.

To make it even sadder, the outfielder who threw the ball up to him was the kid's favorite player in the game, apparently.

Nearly the same thing happened to another fan about a year ago in the same stadium. Guy fell some 30 feet trying to catch a foul ball. He fractured his skull but apparently recovered. I smell a lawsuit from the family of the guy that died. Within the next month, mark my words.

Well in my OP I asked someone to post happy news, but nobody has yet, so I assume there is none to be had.

The phrase "No news is good news" comes to mind. Most major news stories are about something or other that's depressing as hell. There will be tonnes of Journos out there reporting on tonnes of stories but it's the gritty, tragic and impacting ones that get shown.

All the happy/light-hearted shit goes at the end of the news. Like flappy the 5 year old tortoise who saved his elderly owner who was having a stroke by tapping 'HELP' in morse code to their neighbours or something.

Again and again and again. I swear the media just eats this stuff up like it's candy.

Yeah, precisely.

KA posting puns is odd, bit out of left field really.

HAHA pun

What's the point again of trying to catch a ball if it's not coming directly at you? It's something I never understood, about any sport.

Edit:
KA posting puns is odd, bit out of left field really.

HAHA pun
I thought it was a tad foul myself.

That's probably why you were always picked last.

ugh watching that video makes me sick, not for watching the guy fall but for the news anchor and his awful dreadful melodramatic lines, 'the ultimate price' etc etc no no no shut up what are you doing why do I live in a world where people make their livelihoods doing this sort of awful dreadful thing

"Baseball is part of the American Dream, but today, this man faced the American NIGHTMARE"

Goddamn I should get hired.

I've become numb to the melodramatic "reporting" style our news channels do. Nowadays, its the puns that make me want to vomit.

They're not even ashamed of it. They even make news reports on how they make puns.

That's probably why you were always picked last.
Haha, why because I don't idolize some person because they can hit/catch/throw a ball? I played baseball from t-ball up to a year after high school on a travel team. I respect the skill and athleticism it takes but beyond that I don't give a damn about some ball going into the stands because a certain player hit it/touched it. Unless of course it's going to hit me.

Some people like to have mementos of events. A game ball is a common one.

I don't even like network sports and I can see the appeal of catching the ball.

bitches wanting your ball

Haha, why because I don't idolize some person because they can hit/catch/throw a ball? I played baseball from t-ball up to a year after high school on a travel team. I respect the skill and athleticism it takes but beyond that I don't give a damn about some ball going into the stands because a certain player hit it/touched it. Unless of course it's going to hit me.

I was making a joke at the expense of the way you worded your post, like you wouldn't run to catch a ball even if you were playing. :p

Honestly though I played softball all through school and **** playing out-field.

Here's another story for you:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/12/keith-carmickle-home-run-derby_n_895355.html

Keith Carmickle and his friends had already caught three balls during Major League Baseball's Home Run Derby Monday night and wanted more.

He nearly got a lot more: a headfirst fall to a pool deck about 20 feet below.

Chasing a home run hit by Milwaukee's Prince Fielder, Carmickle was saved from a long fall when his brother and a friend grabbed him around the legs and arms, then pulled him back as he dangled above the deck area behind the pool in right field at Chase Field.

They had already caught three balls that night and wanted a fourth one? Fools. Most people would be content with the ones they already possess, as I have a pair of them in my collection.

And another from the derby, this time an awesome story:

Guy catches ball, falls into a pool full of bikini wearing girls, and manages to both hold on to the ball and save his beer while the rest of him is completely submerged.

Why is there a pool of bikini clad girls in a baseball stadium?

Guy catches ball, falls into a pool full of bikini wearing girls, and manages to both hold on to the ball and save his beer while the rest of him is completely submerged.

This actually makes the former story 10 times more depressing.

I don't even care that's just full of awesome. That's a story you'd tell for life. I'd have a photo of me holding the ball and the beer with the chicks in the pool framed above my forehead.

Back