NVIDIA responds to the benchmarks

synth

Reaction score
ExtremeTech posted an article detailing how NVIDIA's Half-Life 2 benchmark was inaccurate. With the benchmark, ATI's graphics cards came far ahead in terms of performance. NVIDIA disputes these tests and responds with a long statement that includes some interesting comments.
"During the entire development of Half Life 2, NVIDIA has had close technical contact with Valve regarding the game. However, Valve has not made us aware of the issues Gabe discussed."
Also, they talked about why NVIDIA's cards weren't up to the level ATI's were for the benchmarks.
"The optimal code path for ATI and NVIDIA GPUs is different - so trying to test them with the same code path will always disadvantage one or the other."

The reason Valve doesn't allow the use of Det50 drivers is that they are not publically available. One of Valve's stated pet peeves were drivers that get released to reviewers and benchmarking sites... but then are never released publically. That's why they have a zero-tolerance on "for benchmarking sites only" drivers.

lol its funny because when the say "special code path" they mean that Nvidia cards run like shit in regular Direct X 9.0 mode unlike ATI cards do!

ATI Cards run off the regular Direct X 9.0 code made by Microsoft!

VALVe made a special code path JUST FOR NVIDIA to help there shitty cards run better then they did on the regular code!

P.S. Im not really a ATI fan boy (I LOVED MY GEFORCE 3) but Nvidia's FX sieries cards are ****ing trash!

But, I do own a ATI AIW 9800 PRO 128mb...

And be sure to read this: Detonators 51.75: Dont get your hopes up

One of the very few threads I have made :)
The image quality loss is horrible over old drivers. So my guess is that Valve have seen this. It is nothing more than the good old 3Dmark optimisations: Make everything blurry, light everything poorly, skip a few effects: MASSIVE SPEED INCREASE!! w00t!!!

Benchmark drivers. Nothing more. No magical speed increase.

Originally posted by Apos
The reason Valve doesn't allow the use of Det50 drivers is that they are not publically available. One of Valve's stated pet peeves were drivers that get released to reviewers and benchmarking sites... but then are never released publically. That's why they have a zero-tolerance on "for benchmarking sites only" drivers.

i think another reason is that the det50 drivers dont render fog either. or so i read.

Jame

Nvidia is pathetic. Lousy shameless cheaters.

So your tellin me that my Ge Force Ti4200 128 MB DDR TV-ut
sux?.. mkay.... sure.. you beleive what ya want. ALL other cards fail in producing a photorealistic graphix xperience but ok?.. BUT HEY! well i guess you know this better than me.... my cousin bought the latest ati crap card ok it wasnt all that bad.. but.. where is the depth??? i really tryed to find the realistic feel in the graphix but it failed.. while my gf4 still kix ass .. i liked the way the ati card adds smoothing graphix.. but it does NOTHING for the texture depth.. where is the hardware t&l????
'
NVIDIA STILL OWNZ DA SCENE BWØY! so SIT DOWN AND SH4TTTTTT44444F44444CK444444PP
(sorry for m4 poor english..)

Oh yeah.. and i guess that the thing qabout xbox having THE BEST CONSOLE GRAPHIX EVER has nothing to do with the geforce technology?

Not that i am a console fan.. god i hate consoles but its just an example.

Originally posted by ApocalypseNow
lol its funny because when the say "special code path" they mean that Nvidia cards run like shit in regular Direct X 9.0 mode unlike ATI cards do!

ATI Cards run off the regular Direct X 9.0 code made by Microsoft!

VALVe made a special code path JUST FOR NVIDIA to help there shitty cards run better then they did on the regular code!

P.S. Im not really a ATI fan boy (I LOVED MY GEFORCE 3) but Nvidia's FX sieries cards are ****ing trash!

But, I do own a ATI AIW 9800 PRO 128mb...

sorry i ment my 3D Blaster® 4 Titanium 4800 SE

hehe pasted the wrong text .. becouse im tired... ZzzZzZzzZ
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

Originally posted by KingKooPah
sux?.. mkay.... sure.. you beleive what ya want. ALL other cards fail in producing a photorealistic graphix xperience but ok?.. BUT HEY! well i guess you know this better than me.... my cousin bought the latest ati crap card ok it wasnt all that bad.. but.. where is the depth??? i really tryed to find the realistic feel in the graphix but it failed.. while my gf4 still kix ass .. i liked the way the ati card adds smoothing graphix.. but it does NOTHING for the texture depth.. where is the hardware t&l????
'

Oh yeah.. and i guess that the thing qabout xbox having THE BEST CONSOLE GRAPHIX EVER has nothing to do with the geforce technology?

'

What is it about "but Nvidia's FX sieries cards are ****ing trash!" that makes you think he said the G4 sucked?

Personally, I think the G4 is an awesome card. Really really good. Hell, it beats the FX! Nearly every card they have made have been great (nearly, G4MX... not describable in words how much it sucks...)

"where is the hardware t&l????" T&L as a feature is obsolete. It is an integrated part of cards nowadays. I may not be much educated in the matter, but I do know that. Maybe you should get a bit more educated? Just a suggestion. And dont get so excited.

where is the hardware t&l????" T&L as a feature is obsolete <<---- WHAAAT!!`!`! man.. boy.. ok... whatever.. you r wrong..but ok... im not eaven going to start an argument over that.,.. k... oh yeah the mx series really suxx those cards and the people who made them should be sent to hell for cheating poor people of their hard earned money.. DO NOT FALL INTO THE MX TRAP only buy EXPENSIVE videocards since you often get what you pay for.. i mean when you buy an mx you get like 10% of what you payed for. so we agree on 1 thing...

:cheers:

Originally posted by dawdler
What is it about "but Nvidia's FX sieries cards are ****ing trash!" that makes you think he said the G4 sucked?

Personally, I think the G4 is an awesome card. Really really good. Hell, it beats the FX! Nearly every card they have made have been great (nearly, G4MX... not describable in words how much it sucks...)

"where is the hardware t&l????" T&L as a feature is obsolete. It is an integrated part of cards nowadays. I may not be much educated in the matter, but I do know that. Maybe you should get a bit more educated? Just a suggestion. And dont get so excited.

where is the hardware t&l????" T&L as a feature is obsolete <<---- WHAAAT!!`!`! man.. boy.. ok... whatever.. you r wrong..but ok... im not eaven going to start an argument over that.,.. k...
Maybe you should read the entire line :dozey:
T&L was a big snazzy feature a few years ago. I remember 3D games coming specificly with Software (sucked), Hardware (good, but specific support), Hardware T&L (1337!!!!!111!!! The improvement was immense) as renderer option. Now you do not see that anymore. Its standard, all 3D games use it. So as a feature, its pointless. Its like saying hardware 3D is a feature. Which it also was a while ago. Now its quite standard on most cards, and I wouldnt exactly call it a feature :)

:eek:
KingKooPah little msg for u...
stfunewbie.jpg

Well Fu*k you to bwoy.. i know i will get my hands on this game before you ever will since ill get it uploaded to my 10 mbit dump... and i aint no newbie bwoy... and god i hope that isnt you in that picture...
if it is i recommend reconstructive surgery,,,, well im off clubbing.. Nos vamos.... pato.... :cheese:

Originally posted by Cujo
:eek:
KingKooPah little msg for u...
stfunewbie.jpg

(...)i know i will get my hands on this game before you ever will since ill get it uploaded to my 10 mbit dump... (...)
fasterdl.jpg

Oh for gods sake. Cant even a thread in the news stay on topic?
Cujo, that first picture was totally unneccesary, and the second is just childish, grow up. And KingKooPah, your response was even more unneccesary. This is a forum, not a playground kids.

ROFL, that was childish, but I cried of laughter how people blast themselves on the forums over caca.

Its like looking at 2 birds fighting for a bread frag.

What the heck is wrong with you people, Nvidia said:

"During the entire development of Half Life 2, NVIDIA has had close technical contact with Valve regarding the game. However, Valve has not made us aware of the issues Gabe discussed."

What this means:

-Valve doesnt want NVIDIA to enter their noses into their game.
-SO?
-Valve wants ATI to enter their noses into their game.
-WHY?
-Cash involved.

Ever heard of business deals, kids? Well this is one of them. ATI and Valve of course made a business deal, to kill nvidia over the game that 80,000 people play. This is so pathetic, people actually beleive that NVIDIA sucks. Thats just crazy. Both companies are good and bad in ways. Tho Halflife2 is a puppet for ATI to act as pressure on NVIDIA.

If you dont see this, your ****ing blind, get 10inch glasses and throw yourself over the bridge. :dork:

Originally posted by titansolaris
ROFL, that was childish, but I cried of laughter how people blast themselves on the forums over caca.

What this means:

-SO?
-WHY?
-Cash involved.

Ever heard of business deals, kids? Well this is one of them. ATI and Valve of course made a business deal, to kill nvidia over the game that 80,000 people play. This is so pathetic, people actually beleive that NVIDIA sucks. Thats just crazy. Both companies are good and bad in ways. Tho Halflife2 is a puppet for ATI to act as pressure on NVIDIA.

If you dont see this, your ****ing blind, get 10inch glasses and throw yourself over the bridge. :dork:

Bingo

Originally posted by titansolaris

What this means:

-SO?
-WHY?
-Cash involved.

You're absolutly right, those stupid fanATIcs are so blind how can they not see that ATi makes deal after deal behind people's bakcs buying their way into Valve and its HL2, GearBox and its Halo, Core and its Tomb Raider Angel Of Darknes, they even payed Microsoft and stole the Xbox2 deal from nvidia.
And not only that, they even managed to buy up 99.99% of all the hardware sites on the web, you know Anand,Beyond 3D, DriverHeaven, GamersDepot etc. etc.
Soon they are gonna take over the world with their filthy money.

IMO you need to head over to eBay and scour it for a deal on some gray matter, 'cause yours is as good as nvidia's fx line of graphics cards.

I completely agree with The Grim Reaper, it's not only Valve who are saying that the FX line isn't as good as it should be, it's everyone who has ever compared them.

And the latest news says that both ATi and NVidia bid the same amount and Valve selected one over the other.

This fits in with what Valve say.

There are going to be countless people who will ignore real DX9 tests such as HL2, Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness, and Halo (PC) and only trust tests that agree with their video dogma such as that crap Aquamark03 test which people are touting as a true DX9 test when it in fact mainly tests PS1x shaders and a very small amount of PS2.

/me lights a candle for those who will risk great gaming for brand loyalty

Back