Odd crash problem on load in Half-Life 1

joethulhu

Reaction score
So I bought the game from Steam, being really excited because of how revered it is in the gaming community. It plays perfectly for about thirty minutes, at which point not much has happened yet and I save and turn off my computer because of prior engagements. I come back later and start it back. It begins to load and stops about halfway through the progress bar that Steam pops up. I think it's just taking a while and do something else away from my computer for a bout five minutes before I remember it was loading. I turn back and it's at the same spot. I Ctrl + Alt + Del and start task manager, and it says the program is not responding and I have no choice but to close it.

I honestly have no idea what to do. I would have posted on the Steam forums for the game (where I might get a better response) but I'm in some kind of approvement queue. I tried deleting and reinstalling the game files. Same thing. I tried starting another new game and it crashes on load still. I tried loading a separate save file. Same response. And it doesn't always crash in the same spot. It crashes seemingly at random, but never loads completely. It may have something to do with the ad for Portal 2 that loads as I've just started noticing that it crashes around the same time it appears.

Help?

Try verifying the integrity of the game cache, which solves like 90% of loading problems. If that doesn't work, try tweaking with the graphics processing things in the graphics options.

Back