Official Gordon Model: When?

(Fragger)

Reaction score
Will VALVe ever release an official Gordon model? It'd be cool to record a demo and play it in 3rd person view, kinda like the ghost view in CS, and see Gordon in action. What do you think?

I dount they'll get round to it. It would be good if the player model was actually represented in source games, so you can see your own shadow and suchlike.

ZoFreX said:
I dount they'll get round to it. It would be good if the player model was actually represented in source games, so you can see your own shadow and suchlike.

No, they didn't want that, because they want the player to feel like he/she is Gordon Freeman.

isis said:
you cant see your own shadow in real life?

Can you see the shadow of a ~1,9m long man with short hair and glasses when you look down?

Sharrd said:
Can you see the shadow of a ~1,9m long man with short hair and glasses when you look down?

No, but what about a reflection when you look in water?

No, I don't see the reflection of Gordon Freeman where my own reflection should be. I'm pretty sure there isn't any reflection either in HL2, so I can't see what point you were trying to make.

there is reflection, just not for gordon freeman.... (because he is just a floating gun)

Sharrd said:
No, they didn't want that, because they want the player to feel like he/she is Gordon Freeman.
But that sucks... Because NPCs are calling you Gordon, Dr. Freeman and "The Free Man" an so on, and Gordon's on the cover of the retail edition - it's not a picture of me on the retail and the NPCs don't call me Heavy P, so you should cast Gordon shadow/reflections in my opinion...

They try to make you feel as if you are Gordon Freeman. Not making you feel that you are you. I think the shadow thing would be a good idea... it wouldnt take you out of the game any more than the NPC's calling you gordon. You are GORDON FREEMAN. So I would think you could see his shadow. Even the reflection would be cool :) I would think it would only make you feel more like you are him.

agreed. although for me the jury's out on the reflection..

Sort of related, not being able to see your own shadow in cs: source is a major problem, cos others can spot you round a corner if your shadow sticks out.

Heavy P said:
But that sucks... Because NPCs are calling you Gordon, Dr. Freeman and "The Free Man" an so on, and Gordon's on the cover of the retail edition - it's not a picture of me on the retail and the NPCs don't call me Heavy P, so you should cast Gordon shadow/reflections in my opinion...

You won't be looking at the box while playing the game, though, and like Jackathan said, you're supposed to feel like you're Gordon Freeman. I still like it more this way, even if you think it'd make you feel more like you're Gordon Freeman if you could see his reflection.

there was a model from the get go of gordon in the original and I was incredibly dissapointed that they hadnt modelled him in the sequel

^ My 200 th post! :cheers:

put one in if you feel it is necessary, they didn't want to provide it so they didn't, doesn't stop you from enforcing your own preference.

I don't know about you, but most of us aren't able to make HL2-quality character models. Besides, some of us want to play as Gordon in HL2DM!

i can't make hl2 quality models granted, and playing at Gordon in DM would be fun (if i could use mp at uni) but saying that you can't make the models to that standard in a round aabout way proves my point.

We can't all make games to that quality so it is pretty safe to say that those that can have a far better opinion on what works in a game and how they want it to work. If those with the ability chose to not put the model in, they had their reasons; it's not as if they couldn't have made a Gordon model over the 6 years development. Just accept their reasoning and get training to put one in!

"Those with the ability" chose not to include multiplayer, however, they did eventually.

Well you did say official and I don't know if/when they will model that.

However you could go the unofficial route and go to HL2World and under Community Releases there is a modeled gordon which looks pretty good ;)

i see the shadow of a ~1.9M man with short hair and glasses when i look down

rf

the official model of gordon freeman is in the original game.

i dont think 3rd person should ever be used in HL, because u are in fpp to feel as though u are gordon freeman. which is partly what makes the game a more serious and effective experience.

Reaperman said:
there is reflection, just not for gordon freeman.... (because he is just a floating gun)

actually he isn't. There is a model but it s a greay blobbled vrsion of Gordon with no aminamtion. If you have skill you can open it in the model viewer...

They REALLY need a Gordon Model just so I can atleast freaking draw him plz. Online (as well as barney, alyx, eli (HAHAHA would be awesome), etc.) are really necessary to, but I'm extremely pissed there is no gordon model. They did a lot of work on creating a photorealistic face of him, and I've seen an official model of his head sans glasses. I'd love to see a high poly (higher poly then the crap suit you see before you get into it) version of Gordon just so you can go into 3rd person and take in the HEV suit, and I mean, I'm Gordon. Shouldn't I know what I look like, cause I dont.

You control Gordon, he doesn't control you. That is why he doesn't talk. You make Gordon talk,walk,push buttons, shoot. Whoever thought that "you are Gordon" is wrong. "YOU CONTROL GORDON."

Iced_Eagle said:
Well you did say official and I don't know if/when they will model that.

However you could go the unofficial route and go to HL2World and under Community Releases there is a modeled gordon which looks pretty good ;)
Actually, it looks like @$$.

Reaperman said:

Actually no, the only realtime reflections bounce off water, and there is no reflection when you look straight down into the water.

Back