Officials: "Grand Canyon was created by Noah's flood"

The Monkey

The Freeman
Reaction score
Washington, DC ? Grand Canyon National Park is not permitted to give an official estimate of the geologic age of its principal feature, due to pressure from Bush administration appointees. Despite promising a prompt review of its approval for a book claiming the Grand Canyon was created by Noah's flood rather than by geologic forces, more than three years later no review has ever been done and the book remains on sale at the park, according to documents released today by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER).

http://www.peer.org/news/news_id.php?row_id=801

I could've swore the flood was over the whole earth and not just in the grand canyon.

In order to avoid offending religious fundamentalists, our National Park Service is under orders to suspend its belief in geology.
lol

As an act of apology, the NPS has stoned two prositutes to death, a third one is hospitalized. The local church group called this act "Satisfying".
more lol

:O

man it's time rational people crushed this religious revisionism before it's too late

There are some puzzling features of the Grand Canyon though. And there is a lot to be said for previous natural disasters influencing the minds of literate men in a position to write things like the Old Testament.

There are some puzzling features of the Grand Canyon though. And there is a lot to be said for previous natural disasters influencing the minds of literate men in a position to write things like the Old Testament.
Neither of which are good reasons to decide that God should be the missing puzzle piece, nor are they good reasons to deny scientific observation.

Honestly, I do my utmost not to be an out-and-out anti-theist but the resilient little bastards make it bloody difficult.

I will be in the next election, but I'm afraid we're fighting an uphill battle. Those suckers reproduce too fast.

it's your god given duty to reproduce faster!!! just because they cant use condoms/have abortions is no excuse ..now you march out right now and impregnate a woman ...and she better be liberal!!!

I could've swore the flood was over the whole earth and not just in the grand canyon.

thats what you get for learning the non-puritan way. best leave scientific studies up to the real experts: religious fanatics.

Lol, I was wondering teh same thing ><

yea you'd be surprised what kind of crazy 'facts' these so called 'scientists' and 'field experts' come up with. they actually believe they have proof that the world existed before 5000 years ago...

yea you'd be surprised what kind of crazy 'facts' these so called 'scientists' and 'field experts' come up with. they actually believe they have proof that the world existed before 5000 years ago...
Their 'proof' is probably nothing more than some stupid pile of 'empirical evidence'. Sounds like a sin to me!

Their 'proof' is probably nothing more than some stupid pile of 'empirical evidence'. Sounds like a sin to me!

Exactly. After all, the Bible doesn't need empirical evidence to prove all of its claims does it? Hell no... so why should this be any different?

Hell I bet it talked about how the Grand Canyon was created in one of the books about Noah but they just had to cut that part out cause it was too long...

Religious documents from multiple religions mention a great flood. Also, you have to consider the presence of shark teeth on mountains. There probably was a large flood at some time.

Religious documents from multiple religions mention a great flood. Also, you have to consider the presence of shark teeth on mountains. There probably was a large flood at some time.
Tectonic plates, creation of mountains over millions of years, sharks are hundreds of millions of years old, etc.

Only coastal cultures know flood stories, but a global flood would affect everyone, not just those at the coast. Stories of great floods originate from small local (and very common) floods. But to those who wrote them up, a local flood would seem as a global flood, even if it only affected them.

And shark teeth on mountains doesn't really prove anything. First off, mountains that are here now, weren't always there. Second, assuming the mountain was only 500m tall (more like a hill) where the hell did 500m of water come from?!

what next consider the mud sacred cuz god used it to create us?

kill all the snakes cuz they are minions of satan?

EDIT:also there is the fact that the earth was covered in water millions of years ago and sharks existe in that time,see some geological history stuff

Only coastal cultures know flood stories, but a global flood would affect everyone, not just those at the coast. Stories of great floods originate from small local (and very common) floods. But to those who wrote them up, a local flood would seem as a global flood, even if it only affected them.

And shark teeth on mountains doesn't really prove anything. First off, mountains that are here now, weren't always there. Second, assuming the mountain was only 500m tall (more like a hill) where the hell did 500m of water come from?!

The planet was nearly all desert at one point I believe(according to some evolutionary show anyways)... I would imiagine with climate like that, there didn't exist any polar ice caps or anything of the sort. So all the world's water would have been at greatly elevated levels. How high, I do not know.

The planet was nearly all desert at one point I believe(according to some evolutionary show anyways)... I would imiagine with climate like that, there didn't exist any polar ice caps or anything of the sort. So all the world's water would have been at greatly elevated levels. How high, I do not know.

yes but creationists put the age of the earth at about 6000 years, you're talking about something that happened over 4 billion years ago ..6000 years is nowhere enough time for the it to have come and gone without leaving evidence everywhere: there would be observable evidence all over the globe ..there isnt any.

Many scientific objections have been raised concerning the proposed mechanics of flood geology. A flood of the size suggested by creation geologists is difficult to reconcile with basic physical laws. In particular, the amount of water required to cover the Earth's entire surface is enormous and no known mechanism can explain where it came from or where it went. The mechanisms proposed by creationists to account for the fossil record, lithospheric layering, and tectonic formations are rejected by the vast majority of geological scientists. Mainstream geologists and many Old Earth Creationists consider it to be pseudoscience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_geology#Flood_geology_versus_mainstream_science

I'm always astounded at the amount of people (not necessarily you cow-man so give me a break) who're ready to support this rediculous story ..I mean had you never heard of christiainity would the idea that a family could stuff literally 10's of thousands of species into a man made boat using nothing more advanced than iron tools and then spend the next 40 days and 40 nights playing peanuckle while the world drowned around them? it's just as rediculous as the tooth fairy or santa claus ..more so. Even as a young child I knew it was utter nonsense ..it just has zero basis in anything resembling fact

yes but creationists put the age of the earth at about 6000 years, you're talking about something that happened over 4 billion years ago ..6000 years is nowhere enough time for the it to have come and gone without leaving evidence everywhere: there would be observable evidence all over the globe ..there isnt any.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_geology#Flood_geology_versus_mainstream_science

I know that. I was just merely pointing it out. Not as any argument point.

The only logical explanation on their side is that God is/was deliberately lying to us, and that does not invite faith.

I'm always astounded at the amount of people (not necessarily you cow-man so give me a break) who're ready to support this rediculous story ..I mean had you never heard of christiainity would the idea that a family could stuff literally 10's of thousands of species into a man made boat using nothing more advanced than iron tools and then spend the next 40 days and 40 nights playing peanuckle while the world drowned around them? it's just as rediculous as the tooth fairy or santa claus ..more so. Even as a young child I knew it was utter nonsense ..it just has zero basis in anything resembling fact

Consider yourself broken. I never really did believe in the flood story.

Honestly, I do my utmost not to be an out-and-out anti-theist but the resilient little bastards make it bloody difficult.

I'm the same way. I try hard to be accepting of other people's beliefs. But sometimes I find it near impossible, especially with stuff like this.

:frown:

okay, this is not even funny, its just sickening. Now not only is the bush administration supporting bullshit like "intelligent design", it has gone even further to the even more idiotic and unsupported "young Earth creationism" and "flood geology" loonies in the religious right.

Damnit we need better education in this country.

The nps.gov website on the grand canyon says different. Maybe rampant religious revisioning hasn't made its way to the governments websites just yet.

that's because there was one flood, the flooding of the black sea, which did indeed happen about 8,000 years ago. Ancient structures are visible under some parts of the sea, and it has been speculated that the Black Sea was at one time a lowland lake surrounded by marshland before rising sea levels caused the meditteranian to overflow the small land bridge at modern Ankara.There is significant evidence of a massive influx of water a relatively short time ago, although the cause is quite unknown. It is likely that rising temperatures caused a slight increase in sea levels, which was just enough to overtop or erode the land bridge near Ankara over several thousand years, culminating in a massive flood which would have taken months to fill the area around the lowland lake to its modern levels.

Ancient peoples passed on the story of the frightening cataclysmic flood, which indeed at the time would have seemed to cover their entire world. The story migrated south into mesopotamia and became written down as the Epic of Gilgamesh. Jews later copied this myth during their time in babylon and it was rewritten to fit Jewish customs, and was passed down and retranslated countless times until today.

I don't read the bible literally. And I don't believe it to be the exact word of god.

Err, so it's a metaphor for something then?

Also, if it's not the word of God, were the authors claiming so lying or just mistaken?

It's sort of like the generalised word of god.

Err, so it's a metaphor for something then?

Also, if it's not the word of God, were the authors claiming so lying or just mistaken?

I don't know... choose something, then adopt that as your view about it.

The Bible is just a book. It can't be 'mistaken'. Its authors can though.

Bible-point.jpg

HEY JOHN, YOU SCROOOOOOOOWED IT UP!

Back