Oh god Crytek I will suck all of your cocks

Tollbooth Willie

The Freeman
Reaction score
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...Testing-the-Waters-for-New-TimeSplitters-Game

Crytek UK, formerly known as Free Radical Design, says it is talking to publishers about what it will work on after it gets done with the multiplayer portion of Crysis 2, and the possibility of reviving the TimeSplitters series has come up. Managing director Karl Hilton said that Crytek was getting some positive responses from the publishers, although he was aware that it might not be just as easy as picking up where it left off.

He said that Crytek UK was essentially discussing three options with publishers: whether to begin work on a new IP, to make a "classic" TimeSplitters games, or to update the series for a modern audience. The TimeSplitters games had been a product of their time, he explained, and of where they were made, and because of this, the games had performed differently in different territories. This meant that everyone that Crytek had spoken to was aware of the TimeSplitter games, but some looked at it as a successful series, while others saw a series that never quite reached its full potential.

Should a publisher decide that it would rather like another Timesplitters game, Hilton said that Crytek had no plans to ditch the series distinctive personality to try and get a wider audience, but at the same time it was conscious about making a product that only had niche appeal in a very competitive market. "You need to be trying to sell everywhere," he said. "[Y]ou can't make something bland and generic because there are plenty of those. It's [about] getting that character and personality into a game, but not disenfranchising a whole set of people who might otherwise buy it ... When you play it you should feel from the way it plays and the way it looks what it is you're playing, otherwise you can get a very mediocre product."

The last TimeSplitters game - TimeSplitters: Future Perfect - came out in 2005 for Xbox, Gamecube and PlayStation 2. Free Radical announced a sequel in 2007, but after the poor performance of PS3 exclusive shooter Haze forced the company into administration, and the subsequent acquisition of the studio by Crytek, the project was put on hold indefinitely. It would be great to see another TimeSplitters game, as not only does the series have a great multiplayer component, it's also one of the few shooter franchises to prominently feature monkeys. Just imagine it, the gorgeous CryEngine 3, used to render a cartoon primate. Who doesn't want to see that?

I'm sorry Chase, but the chances of this having a cover mechanic are too high for me to be excited yet.

Timesplitters was like Quake 3 on happy go lucky Shrooms in my mind

So they want to make Timesplitters, but think it would sell more if it were more generic?

No. They're aiming to keep the comical nature of the series intact if they ever get the chance to jump back in.

It won't be the same.

I think the only part I really enjoyed in timesplitters was the blade runner-esque level. it wasnt that great of a game

Yeah, the whole blowjob gangbang thing might be overdoing it a touch for a so-so series.

Well, I only ever really had a lot of fun in TimeSplitters playing with friends.

And competitive rather than co-op.

TS2 and 3 are my favourites--they're two of the best co-op games out there. As much as I'd like to see the series revived, what the hell do they mean by a "modern audience"? The divide isn't that great. ****'s sake, just stick some monkeys, killer-stags and nonsense time-travel in there and we're a-go!

I got both TS1 and TS2 when they came out and Timesplitters still reigns supreme as my favorite console shooter to sit down and play with 4 friends. I have a lot of faith in the Free Radical guys (many of whom were on the Goldeneye and Perfect Dark teams if you can't tell from the similarities to the TS series) that was shaken by Haze but I'm still willing to give them a chance.

As long as the weird humor and cartoony characters of the original are included, and a good version of the Chinese level, I'm up for it. Also Virus mode and more maps.

TS1 has a basic story mode. Admittedly it's simple and pretty short but I spent 99% of my time in TS1 playing splitscreen anyway.

TS was the shit man. Virus mode and Flame Tag is good laughs for hours on end. Monkey Assistants is funny too.

So much creativity and originality in that series.

What also made the TS series awesome was that despite them being console-exclusive FPSes, they offered great degrees of mode customization, and even letting you design your own levels, something I haven't seen done in any other commercial console FPS franchise until Halo 3 and onwards.

And even then, TS2 had in a sense are more complex level builder than Halo 3, and if I recall correctly you could build SP missions too?

Back