Old E3 Videos DX8?

Ki||tacular

Reaction score
After seeing the new DX9 Tech demo I must say that the old E3 vidoes just don't look as good. Most notable is the Antlion, it looks absolutly terrible in the E3 videos compared to the new video. The new one is so shiny and detialed, the old is VERY mediocre.

Perhaps the "new" one is wet from being outside in the rainstorm that apparently just passed.

interesting theory, we shall see on the 30th what what!!

Ha!

mediocre.

anyway, we shall see. GOD I WANT BROADBAND FOR THAT NEW VID.

why did i have to move ffs!

Deep TV Narrator voice *In this scene the male Antlion is covered with jizm after viewing the HL2 tech demo. He stands in a state of awe trying not to move. The Antlions have been around for...."

Maybe AA was on this time, and this time freeman didnt get his butt kicked on looking at the antlion in such a way, and in the e3 vid, the ant lion must have just been annoyed with freeman so he decided to give him a piece of his mind.... in other words u can see the great detial since freeman is sooo close and he aint occupied on living!

the newest video has some more dx9 features added to it since they e3 build, things like HDR etc.

Originally posted by razorblade kiss
Deep TV Narrator voice *In this scene the male Antlion is covered with jizm after viewing the HL2 tech demo. He stands in a state of awe trying not to move. The Antlions have been around for...."

haha :D

So you're saying the old vids were DX9, just the new one is.....more DX9?

gabe has said they will keep trying to add more dx9 features as they can, the source engine is very powerfull. so if they come up with a good idea for a dx9 feature and they can add it down the road with a patch they will. (the newest video is just based off the newest build hence it looks better/ has more graphics effects etc)

maybe that antlion was just that detailed for show just as the car was more detailed in polys and now in the final game they are going to reduce the polys.....

YOUR ALL SO DUMB! Don't you pay attention to Gabe when he say's "It's a design descision, not a technical limitation."?! Obviously they could make the game look that good, but I dought anyone would get a playable frame-rate!

Originally posted by Ahnteis
Perhaps the "new" one is wet from being outside in the rainstorm that apparently just passed.

yeah thats what i got the impression of too.. all the rooftops look real wet.. and the sky looks like a storm passed by and the sun just started shining thru the clouds

and i havent heard anyone saying anything about the city?
i think it looks fantastic, dont you?

Originally posted by rollthedise
YOUR ALL SO DUMB! Don't you pay attention to Gabe when he say's "It's a design descision, not a technical limitation."?! Obviously they could make the game look that good, but I dought anyone would get a playable frame-rate!

Dude, just 4 letters: stfu

OT: This video doesn't look that much better than the e3 video's, just pay close attention at them and you'll see subtle bump and specular maps, especially in tunnels and bugbait.
But they have added several shaders and effects since the e3, so it's possible this one actaully looks better.
The sweet thing is, effects will be added even after the release :bounce:

Originally posted by rollthedise
You're pretty dumb yourself...

Y O U R means your, Y O U apostrophe R E (you're) means you are.

everyone that thinks the roof is wet isnt aware that it was a tech demo and the shiny textures were there to show off the source engine and not the game. You wont see that many shiny textures in the actually game without there being a reason.

Originally posted by kinggi
everyone that thinks the roof is wet isnt aware that it was a tech demo and the shiny textures were there to show off the source engine and not the game. You wont see that many shiny textures in the actually game without there being a reason.

exactly why i think the roof was wet.. even if its only a techdemo, they probably tried to make it as realistic as possible..
theres a reason why the sky is grey.. if they only wanted to show of shiny surfaces they could just have made a room with some lights and some metal textures
its supposed to be like something which will may be able to see ingame..
atleast thats what i think

well im sure the environaments willbe similar but i doubt that the exact same location with the same textures is going to be in game.

Originally posted by Mackan
yeah thats what i got the impression of too.. all the rooftops look real wet.. and the sky looks like a storm passed by and the sun just started shining thru the clouds

and i havent heard anyone saying anything about the city?

Yes the city kicks ass, I'm so glad they started adding cool levels rather then zen. Personally I thought zen sucked, it was a one way level, with a bunch of weird textured platforms and cones. You only fought aliens there, no humans. It was just plain boring.

Originally posted by SuperFat
Yes the city kicks ass, I'm so glad they started adding cool levels rather then zen. Personally I thought zen sucked, it was a one way level, with a bunch of weird textured platforms and cones. You only fought aliens there, no humans. It was just plain boring.

Well, when you think about it. Half-life itself was a one way only game.:p

But they could make a pretty kick-ass Xen if they wanted to,

At least some of the original videos are definitely in DX9 mode. You can tell because character faces are normal-mapped. Characters cannot be normal-mapped in DX8.

Originally posted by dscowboy
At least some of the original videos are definitely in DX9 mode. You can tell because character faces are normal-mapped. Characters cannot be normal-mapped in DX8.

why not? Doom3 uses normal maps and its not even DXanything.....

Uh, because Doom3 is OpenGL, like all id games.

Read the description of the video on the front page of VERC:

"# Bump-mapped characters (containing both diffuse + reflective bumpmapping, DX8 only has reflective bumpmapping)."

DX8 doesn't do diffuse bump-maps on characters.

Originally posted by dscowboy
Uh, because Doom3 is OpenGL, like all id games.

Read the description of the video on the front page of VERC:

"# Bump-mapped characters (containing both diffuse + reflective bumpmapping, DX8 only has reflective bumpmapping)."

DX8 doesn't do diffuse bump-maps on characters.

so what does that have to do with normal maps?

unless they meant to say "normal-mapped characters (containing both diffuse and reflective normalmapping, DX8 only has reflextice normalmapping)." ....

They are different techniques that achieve the same effect. People usually say one or the other and mean the same thing, because you can't really tell the difference in the end product. I don't know whether Source does bumpmapping or normalmapping, doesn't really matter to us gamers really.

it does normal mapping, remember the XSI demo vid? where they made the wall texture? that was normal mapping :)

Ok, good. The point is, the original vidoes were in DX9 mode because DX8 can't do normalmapping/bumpmapping on characters.

EDIT: Can't do DIFFUSE normal/bump mapping, just to clarify.

plus we know the e3 demo was running on a 9800 pro, no reason not to do DX9.

and the HDR and soft shadows have obviously been additions since E3, because they wern't present at E3, but other DX9 features were.

afaik bump mapping is the illusion of multiple polys on a flat surface by controlling what direction light reflects in and stuff and normal mapping is how light reacts to textures depending on material, but then what's specular mapping? Um, I think we need a sticky on all this... Tis confusing as hell. o_O

Originally posted by Alanity
afaik bump mapping is the illusion of multiple polys on a flat surface by controlling what direction light reflects in and stuff and normal mapping is how light reacts to textures depending on material, but then what's specular mapping? Um, I think we need a sticky on all this... Tis confusing as hell. o_O

i thought normal mapping was like bump mapping except bump mapping only has one angle, and normal mapping does like four? or something. i dunno.

I'm sure I've read what card the vids were rendered on before, it's probably in that massive Valve e-mail thread.

Anyway I didn't think the tech video looked a lot better, it just showed all the effects in the most effective way and all at once. The gameplay videos look just as good IMO, I think they just used the effects less and in more subtle and realistic ways.

Originally posted by Mackan
thing about the city?

city17-1.jpg

city17-2.jpg

city17-3.jpg

city17-4.jpg

city17-5.jpg

Originally posted by razorblade kiss

I thought that was funny.

Back