PC Beta Sept. 29th, 27th with Origin pre-order

i know a guy who has a key but is unable to play live at the moment, either due to his account expiring or his uni internet ports blocking it. trying to wrangle it out of him now...

got my early access key! downloading at 30% now! if any of you old hl2.netters remember me, my origin id is: tcfrombn

Edit: 40%

Nvidia already has updated BF3 drivers, AMD's will be out shortly. Make sure to update.

Nvidia drivers reduced my fullscreen Flash rendering performance by about 66%.

IT'S SHIT LIKE THIS, EA

Sounds like more of a Nvidia issue, tbh. Unless you're being sarcastic - haha.

Got my key around 10. Gotta wait for my classes to end before I can install. COME ON PROFESSORS!

Played the beta for a couple hours and wow, this isn't off to a good start.

You have to use the Battlelog in order to play the game. It is the launching point of the game. You browse your profile, see your friend's list and browse and join servers in it. This will be how you start the campaign or co-op as well. For beta purposes, having to use Battlelog to open the game means you MUST join a server before even getting the chance to mess with settings...which brings up another point.

Some people are having lots of issues just trying to join servers via the Battlelog and the browser interface is pretty shitty as the filters don't seem to work properly all the time.

Once you are in the game - it boots you into the game in windowed mode. You can't hit escape to go to options unless you're actually spawned and alive in-game. Then you can mess with graphics settings, which sometimes don't work. The keybinding screen glitches out and won't allow you to bind sometimes. You cannot unbind (at least I haven't found a way). You can't use a some mouse buttons when binding.

The fact that you can only go into the menu when you're alive is a big enough pain in the ass, but if you die while in the menu, the menu closes. Also, the blue overlay that comes up while in the menu will remain there while you're alive next time until you toggle in and out of the menu again. This can be enough to kill you if you spawn in the action.

There are plenty of other bugs, too:

-I've spawned without my primary weapon once
-One time my guns didn't actually shoot bullets (no impacts on players or surfaces)
-Sometimes zooming in/aiming down sights fails until you switch weapons (also, not sure if you can switch to toggle the zoom/ads rather than hold - I didn't see an option)
-Disconnects happen quite often at the end of rounds, sometimes right in the middle as well - wiping away any points or unlocks you may have earned in the process (I have had this happen at least 3 times out of the 8-9 matches I've played).
-Some people are getting driver incompatibility errors even though they have the latest
-Some people have a problem where the game keeps minimizing itself every 5 seconds, making it unplayable

I get pretty good performance with my comp:

Dual Core e8400 @ 3.0 ghz
8gb ram (can't remember the speed)
2gb Sapphire Radeon 6950 unlocked to 6970

I think everything is on high/ultra except the MSAA isn't maxed out and vsync was off by default. I haven't touched anything yet. The game doesn't seem to like to be alt-tabbed for me because my performance gets a little choppy when I tab back in.

The gameplay itself is pretty good. The amount of recoil surprised me and took a while to get used to. Most of my gripes with the gameplay are because I hate the map, though. There are no vehicles. It's way too constricted for a Battlefield game. There are insurmountable choke points in some places (if one team gets set up properly). There are way too many snipers. I hate the squad menu. It's been dumbed down to "Leave Squad" and "Search for Squad". You don't get to pick which squad you join or see the other established squads. I kept getting put in a squad with this sniper that just camped WAY back from everything, so he was a useless spawn point and I was left to play lone wolf for a while.

TL;DR - They are on track to continue the traditional launch cluster**** that all the big Battlefield games have.

Same song and dance.

guy 1: OMGMG BUGS CAN HARDLY PALYIIT **** EA, guy 2: BETA, DUUDERINOS, it's your JOB to report bugs, guy 3: OMFG GAME SUCKS CANCELING PRE-oRDER PISSING ON MY KEYBOARD, ETC

Still, psyched to go home and try it.

Remind me to avoid popular gaming forums so I actually try to enjoy the thing.

Have you heard of 4chan? You should check it out. They love games.

Yes, it's a "beta"...but it's also less than 30 days from release.

I have no doubt the game will get fixed up just like the other BF titles have been, it's just disappointing they haven't really learned from the past.

It's a beta?

The term "beta" has been so grossly misused in video game marketing that it's practically meaningless. This beta is starting less than a month before the game launches. It ends about two weeks before said launch, but the game would have to finished long before then if they are going to make that release date. The thing they called an "Alpha" a while ago was more like a beta, and this is pretty much a demo. I don't think there are going to be any significant changes in the final game.

I'm using the NVIDIA beta driver for BF3 and it's doing great. Apparently it increases performance by like 35%. I've been running in 1920x1200 on default "high" settings with just a GTX460. It looks goddamn beautiful.

My Battlelog account is 3nnui (same as my Origin). Add me:
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/user/3nnui/

screenshots pl0x (on high/ultra)

good video, nice fair comments. very excited to get my hands on this on thursday, having not been involved in the alpha this will be my first time into the field, as it were.

anyone else think that caspian border is probably going to get released? i just got this feeling that next week they're gonna roll it out - releasing operation metro as the only map is just so illogical.

I can see it happening. The Beta isn't too-significantly larger than the Alpha, but Metro and Caspian appear to share pretty much all their art assets, so Caspian Border could only need ~100MB in extra data (shot in the dark).

I had the exact same first impression. I don't like the Battlelog at all. I think it's a terrible idea and i don't like how it's implemented. Why the **** can't i launch the game and change my settings? This alone is enough of a reason for me to cancel my order. Yep, the gun play is very Medal of Honorish with the same shitty hit detection. Why all these changes? They also made a big mistake by picking the Metro map. I thought this was supposed to be a Battlefield game? Where the **** are the big open areas with vehicles? I don't know what else to say. As a long time Battlefield fan, i am disappointed.

They also made a big mistake by picking the Metro map. I thought this was supposed to be a Battlefield game? Where the **** are the big open areas with vehicles? I don't know what else to say. As a long time Battlefield fan, i am disappointed.

this is a bit of a silly reaction, considering that this is only the one-level beta. yes, it's a big mistake, but i would hold out on possibly being disappointed until the final game ships, as that will be where the **** the big open areas with vehicles will be.

this is a bit of a silly reaction, considering that this is only the one-level beta. yes, it's a big mistake, but i would hold out on possibly being disappointed until the final game ships, as that will be where the **** the big open areas with vehicles will be.

First impressions are everything. I am simply not impressed with the game. The map is just one of my many gripes i have with the game.
It's nice and shiny but the over all game play is disappointing. It just doesn't feel like a Battlefield game to me.

The battlelog web launcher is the major negative for me, but I will overlook it. There is a bug on the metro map that causes people to sink into the earth, its kinda funny when six people end up in the same spot below ground, yelling and screaming in chat. There are some weird physics issues too which cause ragdolls to float in odd directions, sometimes up into the sky.

I think the basic gun play is quite fun myself, it has a fairly good kick to it. I agree that the map is strange for Battlefield, and the lack of vehicles makes it hard to judge exactly how it is gonna feel. It looks like the Caspian map that people have been talking about is sitting in the beta files, we just can't play it yet.

On a technical side it looks really crisp and the sound is great. My only issue is the screen seems to flash randomly, mostly during the warmup countdown, has anyone else noticed that?

I agree with everyone else, this map feels stagnantly worse than even the worst BC2 map. It's like its strait from Call of Duty, the gameplay is only infantry combat, nothing like classic Battlefield gameplay.

See my sig if you want to add me in Origin.

I'm d4nthraxxx on origin/battlelog. I'll be joining in on the 29th.

Nothing about the map feels as if it was from Call of Duty. It's way too big and there are too many tactical options for that. Yes, it's far more linear than most Battlefield maps in the past, but even though it's not representative of Battlefield, it's certainly not Call of Duty quality.

With that said, I'm not a fan of the map or the game mode. But hopefully that will change tomorrow.

All rush maps are like this...conquest maps will be better!

Also remember a lot of the "non-linearity" of most Rush and Conquest maps (BF2/1942 included) consists of nothing but empty space between pitiful hills and too-small bushes.

Caspian Border for sure. That UsamaFTW guy from Youtube put up a 7 minute video of 64 player conquest. He's the same guy who leaked footage after the EA Summer Showcase and before/during the Alpha, so he's a sort of prophet if you think about it.

I played about six hours of Caspian Border today and yesterday. Most of it was 10-30 players, but tonight the password leaked and the servers filled up to 64, so I got some 32v32 action, and a bunch of time in all the vehicles on the map (attack choppers, fighter jets, fast attack vehicles, mobile AA and main battle tanks).

Flying is exhilarating, you can hear your breath quicken when pulling turns at high Gs and everything is beautiful. Jets are kind of slow IMO but comparable to BF2 speed, and are nicely balanced since they don't have bombs. Jet afterburner is back too.

Copter doesn't handle anything like BC2, totally different movement / physics model. Hard to get used to but it feels much more realistic than BC2, and more responsive.

Caspian Border is HUGE, and feels like real Battlefield (Op Metro does not). If they opened Caspian Border to the public I would never play Op Metro again.

wALGX.jpg

Ffs Tele2, send me a new modem! I have been offline for five days now, grrrrrrr.

Back