PC Beta Sept. 29th, 27th with Origin pre-order

Downloading now.

As far as I know it uses your Origin username. It did in the Alpha at least.

Had a round on attackers on Metro last night where I went 45 and 15 and got over 6000 points before medals/ribbons etc.

A lot more unforgiving a game than Bad Company 2, you die a hell of a lot quicker. Preferring BC2 at the moment, but that's probably down to the smooth framerate. It's really not running as fast as I would like, and at times the framerate just dips for a while for no discernible reason. Need to get my arse in gear and figure out how to actually overclock my i5, methinks...

What's with not being able to choose a squad, anyway?

OK, this is probably a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. Where can I do my settings in Battlelog?

You need to join a server, spawn and then press Esc to access the options menu. Yeah, it's pretty dumb.

Just played it, and I'm enjoying it still. Caspian server was full though! :(

I've noticed ragdolls can fly around like crazy sometimes, and I've already seen the famous broken arm bug on a guy already :D

Trees seem to fall pretty badly though.

I am prefering BC2 at the moment, but thats just because this one is new.

Definitely feels more MoH than BF. As much as I hate to admit that.

BUT

Graphics are pretty damn amazing.

And the sound...omg the sound is ORGASMIC.

Jesus christ. Was stood between two MGs underground pumping out M4 rounds as they laid down suppressive fire. My ears were ringing, the flashing, the cases dropping....***k me that alone was arguably the best sound experience Ive ever had. Felt like I was truly right there.

[edit]

Has Caspian been taken off now? Anyone else unable to see it listed?

deffinetly agree with repiv about dying a lot quicker. you can really get lucky by just firing from the hip and dropping people as they round corners now, whereas in bc2 there was a lot of soaking up involved.

having a lot of fun with this now, though. got the hang of things a bit better, unlocking shit left right and center n' all. currently rocking the assault most as i'm a medic at heart, looking forward to getting some new rifles though. still really confused everytime i go to put out ammo and realize it's health, and i will admit that i miss having a SAW as a medic, but whatever.

Welp, runs like shit for me on low. Half expected this, but I thought I might be able to skim by since I more than meet the minimum requirements. Not that that really means anything since recommended is basically the new minimum...

Oh well, at least I know not to bother with it now. Maybe somewhere down the line when I upgrade, but I won't be losing too much sleep over it either way.

I'll be honest, I have mixed feelings. It feels a lot like Bad Company 2. Both good and bad. The obvious good points are the visuals and the sound. Both are amazing. Watching a rocket propelled grenade zooming through a dark metro tunnel is a sight to behold. But the gameplay ... I don't know. Maybe it is because I have just played Operation Metro and I will most likely change my mind after I play the Caspian map, but as of now I am not that impressed. It felt a lot like the multiplayer in the Medal of Honor game from last year.

I'm a bit annoyed about this website browser. It seems a little confusing with buttons and facebook crap all over it. Id much rather have a proper in game server browser :(

I'm a bit annoyed about this website browser. It seems a little confusing with buttons and facebook crap all over it. Id much rather have a proper in game server browser :(

Yeah, there should be a normal menu, not that Battlelog crap.

Gave it a short try today, first impressions were 'meh' but that was probably influenced by the hour i spent getting past all technical difficulties. Impression got much better when I tried the Caspian Border map, as it involves huge scale combat with vehicles. And most of my main complaints about BC2 are resolved:
- Faster animations, transitions are much less sluggish
- Game seems to be not as laggy although the shooting still feels a bit off
- No BSODs so far after 5-60 minutes of play

Game stutters a bit for me though, regardless of settings(stuttering, not low FPS).

I think the Battlelog concept isn't that bad, but for now it's very clumsy(unnecessary steps) just like the whole Origin system. Just give me a queue for servers and I'll be happy.

First impressions from me so far are oook...

-Battlelog sucks
-Slow transitions between duck / prone if i do one then the other it often does nothing
-big clunky + laggy
- guns sound great
- I'm dying a lot in one hit
- controls are crappy, dont seem to be able to bind stuff to mouse
- Cant say ive really seen frost bite 2 in action yet. Not much in the level seems to fall apart
- I dont really like the zillions of unlocks, simple is nice. BC2 had enough

This freaking battlelog thing is GARBAGE. I cannot even enter the game since my thing is stuck at "joining server".

Looked for updates, no BF3 updates. Tried IE, and it says "could not ping, check firewall settings". Yeah, that would be great, if you told me which effing ports need to possibly need forwarded, you piece of trash.

If this is what we're gonna be forced to use to play on PC, I may be forced to reconsider my preorder...

They could not have picked a worse map for the beta, it's like they're trying to turn people off to the game.

They changed the Password again for the caspian boarder servers,anyone know the new one? :(

reserve your judgment until you've played Caspian Border
much more like classic Battlefield

still, I think everything else is an improvement over BC2, most notably the gunplay/infantry combat
I love that it takes no more than four body shots to take an enemy down

Free beta is free so I think I'll give it a go and play some with you guys.

Reinstalling... I mean wait, REDOWNLOADING because apparently origin decided it didn't feel like storing the 4GB I just downloaded even though I went through the trouble of changing which drive to store those in in origin (because of course, I tell origin to install on my D: drive, yet for some god forsaken reason they believe its a good idea to install all the origin games I download on my C: drive)

Yeah if after I redownload this it doesn't work, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be skipping the game altogether. Its one thing to force garbage like Origin down our throat, I'll put up with another platform for the sake of a good game. But when the platform doesn't even let me run the game? No, **** you EA. I hope you die and Satan makes you install Origin when you get to hell where you belong.

Yeah so chucked the resolution down and got it running semi-okay... I'm not loving it. Basically confirmed my suspicions from watching alpha videos - it feels and (to a degree) plays like Medal of Honor. I hated Medal of Honor. Ipso facto, I'm giving this a big ol' pass.

Yeah so chucked the resolution down and got it running semi-okay... I'm not loving it. Basically confirmed my suspicions from watching alpha videos - it feels and (to a degree) plays like Medal of Honor. I hated Medal of Honor. Ipso facto, I'm giving this a big ol' pass.

Did you have the chance to play Caspian Border? Cause that will give you a totally different impression.

Did you have the chance to play Caspian Border? Cause that will give you a totally different impression.

Yeah, it's definitely an improvement over Metro. However, the infantry combat still feels and plays like the latest Medal of Honor game. Even if they tweak the gunplay, the Battlelog has already turned a lot of people off. That crap is nothing more than a glorified stats site that also acts as DRM. How did they manage to **** up so many things at once?

don't bother trying to find the password for Caspian Border, because there's a workaround:

Download and install Google Chrome (doesn't have to be default browser)
Start BF battlelog server browser in Chrome

Hit SHIFT+CRTL+J

copy paste into blank area
launcher.verifyPassword = function(game, gameServerGuid, plaintextPassword, callback) { callback(true); }

press enter

Now you won't have to enter a PW to join a locked server :D

Y'all are crazy, this game has some of the best gunplay of the past decade. The shotguns, at the very least, are phenomenal. They're actually viable as primary weapons.

shotgun is certainly an improvement to the BC2 standard shotgun. i dropped a couple of guys today in one buckshot and i seriously thought i was about to die by their hands first until it was apparent i had won the fight. really, really surprised me.

absolutely loving the single shot feature. there is nothing more satisfying then going into single combat with a guy far away and watching him fire bursts or full auto down the line only for me to take a deep breath, steady my shot and fire off a few single rounds to drop him. love it. what happened to burst fire, though? i thought there was three modes, so far i've only seen full auto and single shot. unless it's specific rifles only?

shotgun is certainly an improvement to the BC2 standard shotgun. i dropped a couple of guys today in one buckshot and i seriously thought i was about to die by their hands first until it was apparent i had won the fight. really, really surprised me.

absolutely loving the single shot feature. there is nothing more satisfying then going into single combat with a guy far away and watching him fire bursts or full auto down the line only for me to take a deep breath, steady my shot and fire off a few single rounds to drop him. love it. what happened to burst fire, though? i thought there was three modes, so far i've only seen full auto and single shot. unless it's specific rifles only?

M416 has 3 shot burst

M416 has 3 shot burst

is that the starting assault rifle? i swear i've been using it as full auto and single shot, but then the two times i've sat down to play i've been in over my head with the new features so i haven't really been paying too much attention.

is that the starting assault rifle? i swear i've been using it as full auto and single shot, but then the two times i've sat down to play i've been in over my head with the new features so i haven't really been paying too much attention.
nah starting rifle is a m16a3 which is made by FN for the U.S armed forces. M416 is made by H&K to replace the old M16's

Had a relatively good fps in the tunnel section then it dropped like a lead balloon when the outdoor section opened up.

Here's a protip: once you unlock the UMP (level 16 I think) you will nonstop rape forever. Never use anything else. It's so OP it's ridiculous. I love this game, but it's rough around the edges. UMP + flashlight + red dot sight = non-stop ass-****age.

Like I said, Metro is meh, Caspian is great. And some of you seem to be drawing awfully concrete conclusions from Battlelog/BF3 when it's a BETA. The majority of betas I've played in my life have been just as wracked by bugs and issues as this, and it looks like BF3 is directly on course to have a total shitshow of a launch in terms of game stability and whatnot like every other BF game, but that's to be expected. I've spent about 12h ingame and I really love this game, a lot more than I cared for BC2 which I played 300+ hours of.

The UMP needs to get hit with the nerfbat. It's ridiculously OP.

And some of you seem to be drawing awfully concrete conclusions from Battlelog/BF3 when it's a BETA.

The fundamental idea of the Battlelog is wrong. There is nothing technical about that. Why put it in a browser? Just let me start up the game if I want to play it.

Back