CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
countdown website from Razer

http://www.pcgamingisnotdead.com/

rumored to be this product seen at CES:

razer-switchblade-world-of-warcraft.jpg

yup the keys in the keyboard are individual lcd screens

For all intents and purposes, this is a miniature netbook. But unlike the UMPCs and MIDs that never really caught traction years back, this one has a very specific purpose: gaming on the go. And it's well equipped to handle it. A full-on copy of Windows 7 is loaded on, and Razer's happy to let users surf around on the standard desktop if they so choose.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/razer-switchblade-preview-3g-intel-oak-trail-almost-definitel/

The graphics on World of Warcraft were impressive, and while gameplay wasn't perfectly smooth on the prototype, it was more than playable.

Eh, so WoW almost smooth. Sounds like it'll need a lot of improvement to run modern games.

Eh, so WoW almost smooth. Sounds like it'll need a lot of improvement to run games.

fixed

there was a claim that ION2 graphics would bringing gaming to netbooks. ya that didnt happen

apparently they paid for a full page ad in the Wall street journal:

yAgYg.jpg

hokey

fixed

there was a claim that ION2 graphics would bringing gaming to netbooks. ya that didnt happen
I have an ion2 netbook and I've found the graphics card works fine. Everything is rendered ok if not beautifully. The big problem is the processors now.

I too have a ion based netbook. what games can it play? I successfully ran Freedom Force on it. so this should be able to run something from 2003

I've not done anything too taxing on it myself. The most high-performance game I play is TF2 which has apparently become a bit of a processor hog due to bad optimization of the updates. I did some research before I bought it and it is apparently can run Crysis, Starcraft 2 and Call of Duty BO (search "1215n gaming" on Youtube). I've also seen someone playing Portal 2 on one, though I couldn't get it to work myself.

Sounds like a crap product, but ads like that probably do help promote PC gaming, even if they also promote a crap product. Not that PC gaming could even remotely be considered dying, but more interest means more effort put into ports, so I'm ok with this.

What a gimmicky piece of shit. This does nothing for PC gaming in my opinion.

I game on my PC... I don't buy other products to game with. That defeats the whole purpose of PC gaming.

PC gaming is about the games and the hardware that allows more advanced PC gaming, not human interface devices.

World of Warcraft is hardly a benchmark but it's what most people would want to play on a device such as this.

I'd hope to see some massive gaming tournament portal open. Like clan base times a million, actually I don't even know if people use clan base anymore. Huge tournaments with great casters, now that would be awesome. But my dream of finally getting something else from TV than hillbilly sports is still too far away :<

Guessing it's either this bastard son of a handheld and a laptop, or some retarded new accessory line like "Razer madz skillz 6000 with Arnold the terminator".

I like that ad in the WSJ, the idea of a gaming netbook is pretty absurd though. I remember seeing some $12,000 keyboard where every key was a 32x32 LCD or something...

Jupiter Optimus Maximus.

I bet he got the shit beat out of him at school.

I've not done anything too taxing on it myself. The most high-performance game I play is TF2 which has apparently become a bit of a processor hog due to bad optimization of the updates. I did some research before I bought it and it is apparently can run Crysis, Starcraft 2 and Call of Duty BO (search "1215n gaming" on Youtube). I've also seen someone playing Portal 2 on one, though I couldn't get it to work myself.
Just to expand on this. The Asus Eee PC 1215n (my netbook) can run Human Revolution. I am absolutley ****ing delighted.

Razer: Taking advantage of gamers with too much money and not enough sense since 1998.

I can't believe that that kotaku article saying AMD doesn't matter.How arrogant.
If thi Laptop had PhenomII CPU it would only be marginally slower then with a Intel CPU but cost $600 less.

Well that was a waste of a perfectly good marketing run.

Let's start a community-run service that amalgamates online retailers, price lists, and build orders so that gamers can build custom, cheap and effective desktops. We'll call it "Razer is Dead Dot Com".

Back