Perfect Dark Zero media/discussion thread

MF-Boltress said:
Amazingly so!
I 'sliced' it up a little so that we could see where the crosshair is in relation to the center of the screen....
pdzero6av.jpg

Not even close! There must be some seriously strong auto-aiming in PD0. I could never play with that, I can hardly stand auto-aim at all.

This is definately the worst screenshot ever taken.(or put together which I think it most likely was)

Thats probably not a full screenshot. So ya..

There's much better screenshots than this floating around. Anyone here who's seen the big preview in the latest Edge can see that the game looks lovely.

PD0's gfx are the least of my concern - it's whether it can play anything like the originals that matters.

Warbie said:
There's much better screenshots than this floating around. Anyone here who's seen the big preview in the latest Edge can see that the game looks lovely.

PD0's gfx are the least of my concern - it's whether it can play anything like the originals that matters.

He speaketh the truth, the scans I saw made me jaw drop. If its play mechanics are remotely as enjoyable (read improved by now however) then we are definately in for a treat. I'm just afraid, that like mentioned before, they are going to rush this bad boy to finish by launch and really drop the ball in a few key areas and end up with mediocrity instead of a really superb gaming experience.

OCybrManO said:
For those that don't know what the **** he's talking about when he says X05:

Thanks champ, was in the dark about that one. Cheers for the smackdown, Axyon :E

Raziel-Jcd said:
Thats probably not a full screenshot. So ya..
How could it not be? The guns all the way on the right and all of the HUD is there.
MF-Boltress said:
There must be some seriously strong auto-aiming in PD0. I could never play with that, I can hardly stand auto-aim at all.

This is definately the worst screenshot ever taken.(or put together which I think it most likely was)
o.0 then what is it autoaiming at, the bottom of the space shuttle? I think its just a horrible screenshot, like you said.

it's still early :D but I'm definatly excited about this game and the system in general! can't wait to see more pics and screens as we get close to launch

You don't determine where the crosshair should be by the center of the screen. The easiest way to find the proper position of the crosshair is by taking parallel lines on the weapon and extending them out in the picture to the horizon or until they converge at a single point. Sort of like this:

crossoff1fg.jpg

So, the crosshair should be somewhere within the green circle. It's not extremely far off but it's enough to make it look weird/awkward.

This is totally confusing

1) crosshair is wonky
2) cut n pasted guys
3) where are the explosions coming from? look at their directionality, the yellow/white ones in particular that are slanted...
4) missing shadows?
5) something about the floor texture looks bad, like the color variance is drastic instead of blending into diff. colors

Looks impressive..but, My to TV is not an HDTV, therefore it will look like any other XBOX game. Damn them...I hate the stupid HDTV crap thing with the XBOX 360.

Oh noes! Everyone's disagreeing with Axyon and laughing at 360's "uber graphics".

Looks absolute crap, but yea, t|-|053 360 GR4P|-|1C5 R 1337!!

Looks like it could be fun to play... ... ...If I was any good at console shooters.

DreadLord1337 said:
Oh noes! Everyone's disagreeing with Axyon and laughing at 360's "uber graphics".

Oh God, shutup already.

DreadLord1337 said:

We'll see how crap they are when the Xbox360 starts pulling graphics that would make your huge e-penis monster of a machine go flacid.

does anyone else think Halo 2 when they see that screenshot... and I mean graphics-wise

In my opinion looks like Far Cry with more explosions. Not really a bad thing, but meh. I'm not really interested in core graphics to be honest, I just like the extra effects that make it all shiny. For instance, I would prefer to play Half-Life 2 on medium settings with AA x6 and HDR on full, than to have it on high with no effects at all. So as long as a game has lots of shiny effects, it's OK in my book.

As for Perfect Dark Zero, so far all I've seen is some screenshots of people flying around in jetpacks and some barrels exploding. Maybe if I'd played the origonal I'd be more excited... although I played the Gameboy colour game, which was fantastic :D

MF-Boltress said:
Amazingly so!
I 'sliced' it up a little so that we could see where the crosshair is in relation to the center of the screen....
pdzero6av.jpg

Not even close! There must be some seriously strong auto-aiming in PD0. I could never play with that, I can hardly stand auto-aim at all.

didn't like Goldeneye, and Perfect dark have a button where you can move the crosshair around onscreen without moving your view? Im pretty sure they did.

as for the guards being transposed looking, does the engine support motion blur?

oh Axyon I was checking out the PDZ vids at http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/9343/Perfect-Dark-Zero-Movies-New-Info/ gotta say they look amazing, the amount of detail, effects and lighting with such a smooth framerate (and accurate crosshairs for the disbelievers)... you can count on playing online on xboxlive with me when it's released :D :cheers:

only thing is I hope they fix up their animation/ragdoll on death system a tad before release, looks a bit nintendo64ish atm.

Axyon said:
We'll see how crap they are when the Xbox360 starts pulling graphics that would make your huge e-penis monster of a machine go flacid.

Ohh get over it, you thought this was an amazing screenshot and you've been shot down. By the time Xbox developers start fully utilizing the 360's capabilities, PC games will be miles ahead, just like it always is.

Face it, these graphics suck, and everyone here knows it.

This is just a bad example - as i've said, check out the latest issue of Edge. The screenshots are gorgeous. I agree that this one doesn't look too impressive, though.

I can't believe some of you are getting worked up over a screenshot representative of less than a second of actual freaking gameplay.

venturon said:
I can't believe some of you are getting worked up over a screenshot representative of less than a second of actual freaking gameplay.

NO $h!T!!!

DreadLord1337 said:
Ohh get over it, you thought this was an amazing screenshot and you've been shot down. By the time Xbox developers start fully utilizing the 360's capabilities, PC games will be miles ahead, just like it always is.

Face it, these graphics suck, and everyone here knows it.
Did you see me mention Perfect Dark Zero in that post? Learn to read, I said the Xbox 360.

Axyon said:
Did you see me mention Perfect Dark Zero in that post? Learn to read, I said the Xbox 360.

And? I addressed your point, sit down.

Those are awful screenshots that do the game no justice.

Ehh, a few of those are nice, but there's some serious compression on them and STILL no use of AA (which is a very stupid move). Still, if everything goes well some new footage of the game should be shown in a few hours.

Axyon said:
Ehh, a few of those are nice, but there's some serious compression on them and STILL no use of AA (which is a very stupid move). Still, if everything goes well some new footage of the game should be shown in a few hours.
hopefully it will actually look like a decent game... but god those screenshots are fugly

I can't say I know anything about PD0, but those screens are ass-ugly. Seriously awful.
HL2 had a few awful screens released as well though. In the end, it looked closer to the best ones, but still.

However, I really dislike the visual style they're going with here. Everything on 64 was soft, subdued and visually consistent. Here, everything is glaringly in-your-face and the people somehow manage to look even more fake. I don't want glare beams shooting off of every metal surface when I'm in normal indoor lighting.

FictiousWill said:
I'm a die-hard PD fan, but that screenshot just looks like shit.

QTF :(

Sorry Rare. I used to love you, but now I have moved on. LJBF.

It wasn't the graphics that made the original Perfect Dark such an amazing console shooter. And here everyone is, talking about graphics and graphics only. In my opinion, the graphics of the orginal were pretty pedestrian for the time. The original game wasn't a classic because of the way it looked that's for sure.

I think the quality of the original had more to do with the time it was released (when console FPS games were still fresh), the system it was released on and the impressive marrige of gameplay and control only possible on the N64. I'm sure there are plenty of Nintendo haters that would love to argue that point, but I think it's a valid point regardless.

No console FPS, in my opinion of course, has come anywhere close to the enjoyment factor found in Goldeneye. I'm not optimistic that the watered down and run of the mill console shooters ever will come close to that again. The genre is old news. It's been stretched very close to the breaking point. Without innovation, it's only a matter of time before it snaps.

I hope for all of the perfect dark fans that they make themselves a winner that feels as good as the original did back in the day. Time will tell, but it's been almost ten years now and nothing has felt the same since that time.

I thought the graphics were pretty impressive back when I used to play PD... it even required the little memory expansion thing to take full advantage of the game. Are you sure it had mediocre graphics?

Axyon said:
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/0...35/vids_1.html

X05 Video released, downloading...

Edit: Uh, what the hell was that?

I'm hoping for a miracle and that the audio in the link Axyon provided was from a different game altogether. A gang lord called "Killian", autrocious accents on all characters, and a man vowing to stop complaining about garbage as he falls to his death??!?!?!?!? :eek: :rolling: :eek: :eek: :frown:

MF-Boltress proclaimed the first screenshot in this thread as "worst screenshot ever taken." I now proclaim the above as the "worst promotional video for a game ever taken."

:x

A True Canadian said:
MF-Boltress proclaimed the first screenshot in this thread as "worst screenshot ever taken." I now proclaim the above as the "worst promotional video for a game ever taken."

:x
QFT... that video was worse than atrocious

Despite my previous statements, I remained excited about Perfect Dark Zero... that is, until I saw that promo video. :x

Back