Personality Sphere

I have no problem with Wheatley's voice at the moment, I think it's pretty cool. But on the other hands it might be even better if they get a professional actor in to voice him.

Better than a completely overstated accent like Odessa Cubbage's.

Are you dissing Cubbage?

I think that Valve could do worse than that (cough)Navi(cough), and even found it quite funny. Besides, don't you only have Wheatley for the first part of the game?

Here's a tip: We don't all speak like stereotypical bus conductors or coal miners from 1970s movies, you know :p I give the same credit to you Yanks, and don't assume you all speak like Noo Yoik cabbies, or Texan sheriffs.

I mentioned that mainly because every time there's a British accent in a role, someone from the States claims that it's one of two accents: English (by which they mean Received) or Cockney, and I was hoping to head off those replies.

I really liked his voice.. I laughed at several of his lines, mostly because of the voice in which they were delivered. I hope they decide to keep it.

Yeah the voice works to some degree cause you can relate to it, it has a personality. Hence the name. I think it's supposed to be everything GLaDos is not, so;
robotic voice = psychotic
human voice=friendly.
Seeing as It seems you'll only relate with electronic beings I'd take this as kinda helpful.

Your name bothers me. I think it should be gorman freedon.

Gran no freedom

Wow, that actually makes some sense, plus it maintains preservation of sounds, though it requires starting from "Gordan Freemon," but still ... kudos.

I'm sure they could split the difference. It would be my expectation that a robotic object would have a robotic voice. Perhaps they could turn down the silliness a little but keep the vocoder effect to make it still seem like an artificial intelligence.

gorman freedon.

Lol, I've only just now seen your TRUE reasoning for this. I was just looking for anagrams! I like the Aliens reference there too!
Also, if granny turns her walking stick upside down it sorta looks like a crowbar?!

Back on topic I like the sound of the PS voice, the accent is nice, reminds me of the voices on the Fable games.

Acting quality could use some tweaking though...

I'm with Glenn on this one. It's not the accent I don't like, but the delivery. Amateurish sums most of it up pretty well (admittedly, I didn't think all of it was terrible). It's not the fact that it's a human sounding voice as opposed to a robot voice that I mind, either. It's the fact that it's a terribly acted human voice; I'd be just as annoyed if a human character sounded like that.

Having said all that, I think what gets me at least as much is Wheatley's animations. I can see where they're coming from, trying to give the machine a face so we can identify with it better and all that, but I think it's all a bit too obvious. The "face" gestures are all greatly exaggerated and it just looks silly, like something from a kids' cartoon. I actually felt embarrassed watching it.

I'm with Glenn on this one. It's not the accent I don't like, but the delivery. Amateurish sums most of it up pretty well (admittedly, I didn't think all of it was terrible). It's not the fact that it's a human sounding voice as opposed to a robot voice that I mind, either. It's the fact that it's a terribly acted human voice; I'd be just as annoyed if a human character sounded like that.

Exactly my thoughts.

Don't the personality spheres at the end of the game have human voices too?

hahah he sounds kinda like Ron Weasly from harry potter.... :)
eh.. i think they could do much better... but its not terrible.

Well I dont believe weatley WAS a part of glados... He was attached to a rail away from glados and made references to what a nasty peice of work she was. So I think wheatley is a different thingy :3

I actually like Weatley's original voice better. It was a lot more fun to listen to.

Well I dont believe weatley WAS a part of glados... He was attached to a rail away from glados and made references to what a nasty peice of work she was. So I think wheatley is a different thingy :3

He was most likely one of the dozens of spheres on the shelves that woke up at the end of Portal 1.

the placeholder and final wheatley sound very similar (...well they both sound English and I'm Canadian so they sound similar to me) but I do like the new one better than the placeholder one.

Back