Physics Question

Sushi

Reaction score
I've been thinking, will the player affect the game's physics? For example, If you're jumping around and you land on something that wouldn't support your weight, like a small plank, would the plank break?

Or if you're walking along a long piece of wood sticking out of let's say a window, if the wood has no support at the end inside the building, when you reach the far end will the piece of wood fall with you on it?

Sorry if I didn't word that very well, I'm horrid at english :x

im not sure..but if the physics are perfect it should be like that

Yeah, i think Valve guys are watching the forums to get more ideas on what to add to the features:- )

do you recon it will have a catapult effect?? like if you put a plank of wood over a barrel with a box on the end an then you jump on the other end will the box go flying off??

they said some where that the player would indeed be part of the physics...and that the player/NPCs would have mass and weight...

but to what extend? I dunno...can only hop that they make it right...

So in effect you could trick the combine, Lead them into a trap.
Shoot the hell out of a wooden walkway and laugh at them falling.!

that was already know...the question is rather if you could trick them into walking on a plank that simply wouldn't support their weight(without shooting or anything) and if it would break under the weight....

I dunno...it might be too bothersome to have these kind of physics since you'd have to specify for each object the amount of pressure they can withstand, taking into consideration the point/angle of pressure, the thickness & density of the object you want to break.

I think that the catapult thing is very likely in the game though...since we've already seen that Gordon can manipulate the enverionment(e.g. push barrels and tables) so I'm guessing you can do this on a vertical axis aswell...meaning that a plank laying across another plank, would tip if Gordon stepped/jumped onto one of the ends. now a interesting thought is if Gordons weight vs. the weight of an object laying in the other end, would effect he distance that the object might be tossed. and if they indeed make objects breakable depending on weight(though I doubt it) would the wooden plank Gordon jumped onto break if the object in the other end was too heavy?(and the plank of course wouldn't be able to support gordon's weight)

Originally posted by PriNcE oF SpAcE
I dunno...it might be too bothersome to have these kind of physics since you'd have to specify for each object the amount of pressure they can withstand, taking into consideration the point/angle of pressure, the thickness & density of the object you want to break.

Maybe not. The physical formulas are already at hand, and for a good programmer, it wouldn't be hard to script them.

yes but as I said...making objects break dependable on the weight of another object...you would have a huge amount of stuff to keep track of like as I said: point/angle of pressure, Density of the breakable object/ and this density vs. other objects density

Originally posted by nietzsche
That's correct. Physics simulations involve complicated mathematical calculations, even when they run at real-time rates. The variables you mentioned are part of a physically-based simulation. Point/angle of pressure is given by the narrow-phase of the collision-detection phase of the simulation. Densities can be considered using the masses of rigid bodies and their inertia tensor matrix. All this is to say that breaking things is not out-of-question.
wrong again

:afro:

Physically-based simulations are part of what i do. I thought that i could step in and shed some light on this topic. I'm very serious about it, because i'm doing it for a living. I don't know what ValVed RaY makes for a living, or if his mum even knows what he does with the computer she bought him, but his comments only serve to keep mature people away from these forums.
wrong again, pretty much about everything this time because i bought my own computer, i make a living working in construction and i don't live with my "mum".
you said that i serve to keep mature people away from these forums. well, well, well you seem to consider yourself a lot things and judge other annonymous people by meaningless posts. but i still don't seem to keep assholes like you away do i?

lets see he is a programmer and you are a construction worker and all you come up with is "wrong again"

sure sounds to me like his second post was correct... least you put out that impression.

Originally posted by Anwar
lets see he is a programmer and you are a construction worker and all you come up with is "wrong again"

sure sounds to me like his second post was correct... least you put out that impression.
/me adds Anwar to fag list

fag list? oh come on. you're not helping anything. that's just childish.

That's correct. Physics simulations involve complicated mathematical calculations, even when they run at real-time rates. The variables you mentioned are part of a physically-based simulation. Point/angle of pressure is given by the narrow-phase of the collision-detection phase of the simulation. Densities can be considered using the masses of rigid bodies and their inertia tensor matrix. All this is to say that breaking things is not out-of-question.

ok

what?

Even HL1 had objects that broke if you stood or jumped on them: it's not that hard.

Originally posted by ValVed RaY
/me adds Anwar to fag list

You show so many THUGENSTEIN characteristics that it's just not funny anymore... not that it ever was, though.

abom? from pdx? is that you? :eek:

and that link didnt clear anything up. not everyone here is a physics major, though i intend to be ;)

Originally posted by Sparky the Fox
abom? from pdx? is that you? :eek:

Already said hi, but you didn't see me obviously. Heya mate :D

I think that Half Life's original floor breaking was more based off of a trigger set than a calculated physical engine. HL 2 could of course do this also, but to me the great dynamic beauty of hl2 is the fact that very little is scripted. It merely creates a world and puts things in it... what happens next is up to chance.

dont give ray the honor af annoying you and you admittting it.. he is not worth it..

Wouldnt mind experimenting with a combine soldier, a see-saw and gordon jumping from a great height.

Or even a tonne weight, a see-saw, gordon and a large pool to land in.

If gordon is dead in water should he float or should he sink?

Well, Valve have stated that EVERYTHING in the game has a specific mass, and I believe this extends to things exerting forces on their surroundings....the strider breaks walkways that it treads on, things that can't support it's weight...therefore walkways that cannot support weight WILL break, and Combine will fall.

On another note, it's nice to see some other people on these forums who are interested in physics (as a subject, not in the game :p )....part of my sort of 'life plan' includes coming out of University with a Physics degree and 6+ years of Professional C++ experience....

Yep, my life plan includes going to university and getting at least my bachelors in a Computer Science, and a Software Engineering course.

Back on topic (sorta). I wonder if Valve will implement the ability for fire to do damage to flammable objects. Picture a wooden bridge catching on fire and then eventually collapsing because of the fire.

Fire spreads....they said so, and consumes all in it's path, I've seen a rather nice screeny of a Zombie on fire....really you folks need to buy the UK's Best Selling PC Games Magazine :)P) PCGamer....

Ya I got a subscription to PC gamer, unfortunatly the HL2 issue was lost in the mail, and now I have to wait until july 1rst so I can reorder the one issue. GRRRRR :flame: :flame:

But that still doesn't answer my question of whether the bridge would collapse. I know the fire would spread over it, but would it simply stay burning and then go out, or would it collapse and maybe even have its texture replaced by burned wood somehow.

Originally posted by ValVed_RaY
No, i'm the redneck fat hick weirdo here

congradulations, you have now entered enough meaningless and dumbass posts to throw off one of the most interesting topics ive seen in days, and turned it into a damn flame war. now who is making meaningless posts? what a child... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ValVed_RaY
No, i'm the redneck fat hick weirdo here

I can see your apology was made with the deepest meaning, then.

That's fake valved, you fools

at least the real one is funny.

"wrong again" HAHAHA... yeah... good times.

Originally posted by The Mullinator
But that still doesn't answer my question of whether the bridge would collapse. I know the fire would spread over it, but would it simply stay burning and then go out, or would it collapse and maybe even have its texture replaced by burned wood somehow.

I think the last bit is correct....it would spread, burn, do damage, corrupt the material, change the texture and most likely collapse...

however, Valve won't want fire to burn out key points in the map. This leads me to believe one of two things:
1. This feature will be used sparingly...like GeoMod in Red Faction
2. There will be multiple routes through levels...ala Deus Ex

I hope it is the second one.....

LOL!!! you guys are expecting WAAAAY too much from HL2....

seriously, if they would have implemented such incredibly complex physics like burning bridges, they would have mentioned it...

despite the fact that some of us have seen them in action..... that is NOT complex physics....Valve are using a Third Party physics engine, Havok....I have seen fire expand....and I quote
Half-Life2 Article In PCG, all info from Valve
Wooden doors will splinter and burn

Ok...and

Half-Life2 Article In PCG, all info from Valve
Flames will cast real-time shadows as they burn

I don't think we can expect too much tbh, do some research beforehand, k? :)

sorry if I seem agressive....

my take on possible physics in game.

Physical objects such as you and those in the environment around you will be interactive in the way that every action has a force made by the actor(you or whatever object). I bet the engine works on the idea that when contact is made by one object to another the speed of that action and the mass of those two objects will be taken into consideration when choosing what the consequence of that contact will be on both objects.

gordan is an object with certain designed reactions to force like wood board is an object with designed reation to force. no matter where you hit that wood board it will most likey brake in two pieces whatever size those two peices may have been pre determined to be. If you walk over that board with gordan contact is made so if that wood board can only hold a certain amount of wieght lets say 10 pounds and yo uweigh 100 then it breaks. You can assume that everything that is meant to break or be moveable will take this into consideration or be considered outside the materials physics system.

Back