Physics (small issue)

B

BDC22

Physics (questions)

guys, after watching the 500 meg vid after about the 30th time, i saw somthing, just a little weird in a few scenes; after the 3 soldiers were killed from the trap set up that released the swinging wooden planks, i noticed that the guy that was killed by the gigantic crate actually died before the crate hit him... if you play it in slow mo or stop it a few feet before it hits him, you will see his body crumple up beforehand. the same thing happens before the strider takes out (or tries to) the bridge; right before he shoots, the physics act early. this is not a big issue, but im just wondering why this happens... is it just the way the physics in the source engine work?

also, i am wondering if all wooden objects in the game can be fragmented and destroyed, for example, the wooden planks under the ramp he drives up in the buggy demo.

man... i simply cant stop thinking about this game. :eek: :afro:

yes all wood can be fragmented

and no the physic systems were from sept 2002 i know they are perfect by now

thnx gg i win

no, im not saying this is bad, im just trying to understand it... not bringing this great game down at all.

Re: Physics (questions)

Originally posted by BDC22
guys, after watching the 500 meg vid after about the 30th time, i saw somthing, just a little weird in a few scenes; after the 3 soldiers were killed from the trap set up that released the swinging wooden planks, i noticed that the guy that was killed by the gigantic crate actually died before the crate hit him
this came up few times already. Yes it's a glitch.

sorry... is there another thread about this? i searched and didnt see one... but anyways, this is not a big deal, because when the trap (wooden planks) swung back and hit the other guy, the physics were dead on, just like in every other scene; it just happend to be in a few areas where the physics were early.

no, im not saying this is bad, im just trying to understand it... not bringing this great game down at all.

I noticed it as well to be honest m8, Im sure this will be fixed as Valved says its apparentley a build from september 2002.;)

As I mentioned in our other threads on this, this is not in fact an issue with the game itself: it's an issue with demo playback. Demo playback is NOT frame for frame perfect, because when the demo is recorded, it does so at a low sampling rate, and when it is played back, events are interpolated. So, again, this is not an issue with the actual game, it's an issue of the way demo playback works. That's why it looks right sometimes and wrong at other times: the engine is only roughly reproducing events that were played in the actual game.

the only thing to understand is that the game is not finished. please stop bringing up any gliches and understand the the game is not finished

please stop bringing up any gliches and understand the the game is not finished..

I would hope to god the game is Virtualy finnished by now m8 and the ValVe Dev team are just going through Small glitches Bug testing and that sort of thing September is the relese date.

lol...there will be many more glitches and bugs posted on the forum when the game is released :), but lets hope Valve makes a good job eh ?

And one more thing, how many patches do u thinks gonna make HL2 stable bug free ? I think bout 10 lol

Ppl seem to forget that when they are playing the game they wont be playing it in slo mo ffs

Lets think VERY evil and think that VALVe put this scene in as a scripted sequence, just to impress us. That'd explain why they die before getting hit. It'd mean they just didn't time that sequence good enough.

Originally posted by Krigu
Lets think VERY evil and think that VALVe put this scene in as a scripted sequence, just to impress us. That'd explain why they die before getting hit. It'd mean they just didn't time that sequence good enough.

I don't see how it could be scripted when Gordon had to physically shoot the girder away first.. the physics system took it from there.

Well..... what if they scripted the whole thing? Including Gordon shooting that stuff. Or what if the shooting triggered the sequence?

Well, that's how they planned it to go, but I really don't think it's a script.

I dont think its scripted either.. and I dont think he actually died before this thing hit him. He looked up and tried to jump away and then he got hit by the big steel thingy

When i get to that part into the game i wonder how its going to be....

guys, im not trying to nitpick at the game, im just trying to understand the physics... if we cant talk about this kind of stuff, what are these forums for?

For praising HL2 all day long :D

Anyway, it looks strange I agree, but I think it has something to do with a video. It was captured by a camera after all and compressed, so maybe it explains something. Some frames got lost.. Now, I don’t know first thing about video, so I am just guessing.

Originally posted by EVIL
I dont think he actually died before this thing hit him. He looked up and tried to jump away and then he got hit by the big steel thingy

Originally posted by ValVed RaY

I don't think this is true at all. I think the map designer decides what is deformable. The rest is handled like decals.

In the sea-bed chase scene, towards the end when you are ducking behind cars, the manitee repeatedly blasts the ground. CHucks of asphalt go flying an small depressions are left. Makes you think--hey , deformable. However in one of the shots you can see the deformed asphalt "fade". Its like a decal. It will disappear. The ground is indestructable. So clearly, as a designer you must decide what is deformable / fragmentable / dynamic.

Originally posted by ValVed RaY

and no the physic systems were from sept 2002 i know they are perfect by now

thnx gg i win

the build was from june/july 2002

thnx gg you lose, fag! hah

Originally posted by ub3rbr0k3
Haha, Thug, you're priceless. :devil: :devil:

lol i know. I just hope everyone here knows that me being all mean is just a joke. I think each forum needs a guy to jokilly put people down just like me. :cheese: Tho it is tru about the june/july thing.

good to know someone here knows im joking.

The thing that we should be discussing is why the combine soldier that got crushed by the crate ended up inside it when Gordon drops down - a clipping error.

Hopefully will be fixed.

Originally posted by Abom|nation
The thing that we should be discussing is why the combine soldier that got crushed by the crate ended up inside it when Gordon drops down - a clipping error.

Hopefully will be fixed.

Well none of us know anything more than you so cant discuss, unless we want us to prance around in girly outfits and gossip about the game like teenage girls.

Originally posted by THUGENSTEIN
Well none of us know anything more than you so cant discuss, unless we want us to prance around in girly outfits and gossip about the game like teenage girls.

It appears that we have nothing better to do than discuss and speculate, so I guess everyone's going to have to put up with it for another 4 months.

It appears that we have nothing better to do than discuss and speculate, so I guess everyone's going to have to put up with it for another 4 months.

naw, ALOT of info will be released in the next 4 months. so dont trip

And that info will be discussed and speculated, get my point?

And that info will be discussed and speculated, get my point?

yeeeahhhh... but no... atleast we'll have more to talk about, and after that will be all discussed the rest will turn out to be speculation again, till more info is released.

And the cycle goes on.. but hey, I'm not complaining!

and neither am I, cuz I want to be KING!!

i think it has less to do with scripting and more to do that what was shown at e3 wasn't live gameplay.. and instead a recorded .demo file.. i've seen glitches and stuff like this in my hl1 recorded demo files.. and the same could be happening because they were playing back files that recorded events. demo files don't actually record the graphics of the game.. that's why you could send someone a demo you recorded.. and if you have a replacement model for say you're crowbar or for your knife in cs.. they won't see your replacement model when they play the demo file.. they will see THEIR model.

think about it.

Originally posted by worldspawn
i think it has less to do with scripting and more to do that what was shown at e3 wasn't live gameplay.. and instead a recorded .demo file.. i've seen glitches and stuff like this in my hl1 recorded demo files.. and the same could be happening because they were playing back files that recorded events. demo files don't actually record the graphics of the game.. that's why you could send someone a demo you recorded.. and if you have a replacement model for say you're crowbar or for your knife in cs.. they won't see your replacement model when they play the demo file.. they will see THEIR model.

think about it.

good point, cheech

Good observation Jeff.

Yes, this is purely an artifact of demo playback where certain objects are interpolated for visual smoothness during demo playback and therefore are "behind" in time where they are actually acting in the world.

When running the game this interpolation, and therefore latency, does not occur.

yahn
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 11:48 AM
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: Please Humor Me... valve..

I have a question about the presentation shown at E3... during parts there are a few weird things i noticed, such as in one part gordon swings his crowbar (which has a very lame animation, which will probably be fixed by sept) but the wood he swings it at actually breaks before the crowbar hits.. after that 3 soldiers were killed from the trap set up that released the swinging wooden planks, i noticed that the guy that was killed by the gigantic crate actually died before the crate hit him... if you play it in slow mo or stop it a few feet before it hits him, you will see his body crumple up beforehand. the same thing happens before the strider takes out (or tries to) the bridge; right before he shoots, the physics act early. this is not a big issue, but im just wondering why this happens...
a few friends of mine speculate that it's because you guys used scripting for all these scenes and i really don't want to believe this.. my own personal view on the subject is that it happens due to you showing off files that were recorded using something similar to .demo recording in hl1. this would explain why some of the graphical glitches show up.. half-life doesn't actually record anything graphical when it records demos, it only records the events that take place.. (you obviously already know this) .. but yeah. so is my theory correct.. or is there another explanation? thanks for the help in settling this dispute. Jeff Jenks

a reply to my question which stated my theory previously posted in this thread.. looks like i was right.

:eek: you got an actual reply?. I hate id. when I mailed carmack to provide some idea's he dident even repleyed.

wel.. anyway.. thats great info. so this one e-mail destrois all worries of these glitches happening ingame or being scripted. good job worldspawn. you have an A+

Originally posted by EVIL
:eek: you got an actual reply?. I hate id. when I mailed carmack to provide some idea's he dident even repleyed.

wel.. anyway.. thats great info. so this one e-mail destrois all worries of these glitches happening ingame or being scripted. good job worldspawn. you have an A+
i agree i love valve... maybe carmack didn't reply because you spell destroys with an i.. but who knows?

Not that I am aware off.. but someone told me that he blocks off all e-mail exept the mail of his friends etc. id is starting to suck so badd

Back