Picking up objects/bodies?

G

Is there any news about the ability to just pick up objects like chairs and barrells with your bare hands? Or dragging bodies and picking them up?'

I understand that would ruin the point of that gravity gun but that thing can atleast launch shit at other people.

I have no idea whether you're able to pickup objects using just bare hands, but atleast we know for sure that we can pick stuff up using the grav gun.

remember HL1? how you just pressed the use key to push and pull stuff. it'll probably be that, just a little more advanced.

well, form the video we know you cna push and pull stuff....

i ope you will be able to pick up small object/s with your hands...how cool would it be to kill veryting with a desk lamp?

Remember the vid on the guy pushing the table to block the door?

I hope they actually make it so that it shows gordon actually pushing it, and not walking towards it and the table just moves, as if he used his lower part of his body to push it.

Originally posted by \\-shanE
and not walking towards it and the table just moves, as if he used his lower part of his body to push it.

nothin like a man showing off the power of his crotch. :cheese:

I dont think that they would actually show your hands and waist moving the desk. If someone shot you while you where doing this then you would have to wait for your movement to be done with and pull out your gun. Kinda like climbing a ladder and halfway up you get shot. You either go down or up then pull out our gun and shoot. On HL1 you could just turn around and fire. One hand on the ladder and the other shooting would be sweet. Imagine hand movements on everything. That would be to much.

I hope they make it so that u can climbe ladders like in real life...like with your hands...

Originally posted by BWMASTER
I hope they make it so that u can climbe ladders like in real life...like with your hands...

But then how will Gordon show off the fact that he can climb ladders using only his feet!? :D

Well, he'll have to use both hands and feet...now we're all happy
:cheese: :cheese: :bounce: :bounce:

Originally posted by BWMASTER
Well, he'll have to use both hands and feet...now we're all happy
:cheese: :cheese: :bounce: :bounce:

no dude. That was the best thing about HL1. The climbinging the ladder backwards with a rocket launcher in your hands, using your ass to climb, and having your feet tangle really fast back n forth.
also, i wonder what they'll do about stairway animations. Like if your run up or down the stairs will you see the characters feet actually stepping on the steps and not having the normal run animation? hitman 1 and 2 did that quite well.

Picture this

The E button has many uses, not only for using doors, pushing and pulling. My idea is that you can just tap the use key on the box to pick it up. From that position you can tap the e button to drop whatever you or holding, or use whatever you are holding on an item in the world depending on what you are facing.
holding the e button would ready the item for throwing, something like how you would prime a grenade but this one doesn't blow up in your face, releasing would throw it!

All in all I don't think much of this really matters because I think the engine is going to allow for mods with near limitless potential. If not by Valve by us! :cheese:

ha ha ha... Climbing with your ass sound really funny.... I want to do that 2 !!!!! :smoking:

No diffrence

I think that they arent gonna make any changes with the E button. Its gr8 at it is! :bounce:

I think there's gonna be an option to holster your gun... this was in the tech demo, but it could've just been a placeholder. Anyway any activities with your gun prolly require you to holster your gun... or it does it automatically. Like when you pick up a box... if that's posibble, then the weapon will 'hide', so it won't look like you're picking it up with your gun :dork:

Or they could do it like Deus Ex? But... better :p

I'd be happy with just the groin push for objects, then wait till you get the grav gun for picking up and throwing. It'd be more classic Half Life... and modders can do that stuff later like Blaze said.

I wonder if you'll be able to see gordon's lower body...but I doubt it...in the vids where he looks down nothing seems to hint that you can see your lower body....so lets face it...HL2 isn't going for THAT sort of realism ...so I think that climbing ladders moving boxes etc. is gonna be just like HL1...

I think it will turn out gr8! I'm not need in that serious realism. Too much realism too little game.

Well to make a game fun, you have to have a certain amount of non-realism.

skogum!
Ant Lion

I think it will turn out gr8! I'm not need in that serious realism. Too much realism too little game.

You talk some BS..m8

Dont know whay some of you dont acctualy go to Quakenet #halflife2
Talk on there .!

Not sure if this fits here but anyway.

I think this may just be because the videos are old but have you noticed that when Freeman is driving you dont see his hands on the wheel. When i first noticed it,it really annyed me because i couldnt focus on anything else other than this wheel that turns its self. Anyway its likely that, that will be fixed by the time HL 2 comes out.

Well if they did make it so that you could see his hands, it should only show one hand on the steering wheel... 1)How else would he aim the gun mounted to the buggy, with his mind? and 2) It just plain looks cooler. Thats one thing that bothered me... how would he drive and aim that gun accurately at the same time? Obviously you drive using the keys and aim using the mouse, but in real life would it be plausible?

Originally posted by Ajitaishun
Well if they did make it so that you could see his hands, it should only show one hand on the steering wheel... 1)How else would he aim the gun mounted to the buggy, with his mind? and 2) It just plain looks cooler. Thats one thing that bothered me... how would he drive and aim that gun accurately at the same time? Obviously you drive using the keys and aim using the mouse, but in real life would it be plausible?

Well, remember its just a game and as long as its fun it dose't bother me!

That's true, but from the evidence we have (only having the ability to hold a few weapons at a time) it seems Valve *is* opting for the realistic approach, which is fine by me, but is silly if they are going to have other completely unrealistic things like climbing a ladder with your ass, telepathically controlling a Guass Gun, pushing a table forward with your stomach, or having the impression of being a pair of hands and gun roaming the map.

Go Trespasser! You may be old but darn are you realistic!

Originally posted by Dave
That's true, but from the evidence we have (only having the ability to hold a few weapons at a time) it seems Valve *is* opting for the realistic approach, which is fine by me, but is silly if they are going to have other completely unrealistic things like climbing a ladder with your ass, telepathically controlling a Guass Gun, pushing a table forward with your stomach, or having the impression of being a pair of hands and gun roaming the map.

Go Trespasser! You may be old but darn are you realistic!

Hehe yeah trespasser was very kewl game, but im definitly sure Hl2 is not going to be like that.

I actually hope it will stay like Hl1 but advanced, the invisible way is the best way I think, fast and unlimited.

Originally posted by THUGENSTEIN
hitman 1 and 2 did that quite well.

Yeah, i kept walking up and down stairs juts to see that animation.

I really don't think valve is thinking 'realistic' or 'unrealistic'.
they're probably thinking 'gameplay'.

I also think that they want to establish consistency in the game.
I'd imagine it'd be incredibly difficult to have a visible torso and
still keep framerates up and have really good animations for the
arms and legs. It'd be better to have no arms and legs than to
have lower quality animations of arms and legs (think unnatural,
jerky movements between seeing you do one thing to another)
that would stand out against other high quality aspects (don't
forget that they're planning a hl3).

on a side note I find that I can climb ladders back wards without hands. I tried it while painting; it's all about balance. It's not as
fast as gordon but it's possible.

Back