pl_thundermountain secret?

Reaction score
So today I joined a server with the map set to pl_thundermountain, I joined team BLU. Behind the BLU spawn was a window that showed the inside of a warehouse. In that warehouse, there were 5 of the classes standing around a map of the world, occasionally taunting or dancing randomly.

What do you guys think? Another hint to something? Or was it always there?

PS: This is my first post on these forums, so please forgive me if I get something wrong.

It's just some BLU team members discussing battle strategy, that's all.

I don't think it was always there Luke but I recall when it was added as part of a major TF2 update. I forget which one, I'm sure someone will correct me. But in terms of going forward, it's not new. I'm thinking it was added when payload race was brought it...maybe?

I don't think it was always there Luke but I recall when it was added as part of a major TF2 update. I forget which one, I'm sure someone will correct me. But in terms of going forward, it's not new. I'm thinking it was added when payload race was brought it...maybe?

Watch out guys, Glenn the TF2 expert is here.

Thunder Mountain has a variety of secret rooms and scenes which are unreachable by the player. The BLU spawn room is actually the "tr_target" training map used in the Soldier, Demoman, Engineer and Spy training scenarios. The map shows nothing, it is just a generic world map used in many other Team Fortress 2 maps, dating back as old as 2fort.

As for the other scenes, RED team has a number of them including the swimming classes, and the Sniper camping out on a ridge with his van. All of which can be seen below.

The team briefing
731px-Pl_thundermountainst1blu.jpg

The "tr_target" training map, the same location as where the briefing is taking place. Don't believe me? Turn around next time you're doing a training mission and notice the glass window leading into Thunder Mountain.
800px-Map_TR_Training.png

(Cool Story - This is the only real time one TF2 map acknowledges the location and existance of another map in-game. If we ignore the map in Doomsday, which "shows" the Mann vs Machine maps.)

The Sniper 'camping'
419px-Pl_thundermountaineastereggsnipercloseup.jpg

The Sniper camping again, but this time showing his van and tent. Why do you need a tent if you have a camper van?
800px-Pl_thundermountain0005.jpg

The Swimming lesson
800px-Thundermountaineastereggswimmingpoolcloseup.jpg

Back