Plane Crashes into Nevada Air Show Crowd

Dandan

Medic
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/09/17/nevada.plane.crash/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

[video]http://cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2011/09/17/von-air-show-crash.dwilson[/video]
Reno, Nevada (CNN) -- A pilot lost control of his vintage plane during an air race over the skies of Reno, Nevada, plummeting toward thousands of spectators before narrowly missing a grandstand and slamming into box seats.

At least three people died and more than 50 people were transported from the scene with injuries, officials said shortly after the crash Friday at the National Championship Air Races and Air Show.

But there could be "mass casualties," officials said.

I love air shows but only have been to a few. I think their scary tbh and there seems to be so many incidents. your thoughts?

It happens. Planes aren't foolproof. That's why nearly half of flight training is safety precautions.

Seems silly to fly right over the heads of the crowds though. Was watching some videos of this earlier and its damn brutal. The planes seemed real close.

Holy shit. I love airplanes but that was brutal...

I haven't been to an airshow since I was a little kid but they are pretty awesome from what I remember.

There are some intense videos on Liveleak and stuff... there's one that is from nearby and shows the immediate aftermath (bodies, hurt people everywhere, etc) and it's pretty damn disturbing. Sad stuff to watch what is supposed to be a fun and relaxing spectacle turn into a horrifying tragedy in a matter of a few seconds.

I don't get how that happened. Was it that plane that he was recording in the sky that was flying upside down that crashed right there?

Also, as bad as this was, it sounded really cool.

I don't get how that happened. Was it that plane that he was recording in the sky that was flying upside down that crashed right there?

it did sound unique. And yes the plane he was recording was having problems it seems and the pilot tried to steer the plane away from the crowd and I imagine the cameraman thought the plane was coming down towards him and the pilot must have pulled the nose away from people but it was too late. there are multiple views of the crash from different vantage points

Graphic: [video]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a40_1316247132[/video]

plane.jpg

they say they saw something come off the tail end of the aircraft and that it might have been the elevator trim tab. if it was it most certainly could have caused the plane to pitch up or down suddenly and causing the pilot to lose control especially at
those speed since it was a race.

This is why I stopped playing Bravo Air Race.

Sad stuff... but honestly in the back of your mind you have to acknowledge the risks. Air show crashes are frequently enough in the memories of Americans and people around the world even that you know you're not guaranteed safety.

It's not like it's amateurs at show races typically... especially not even the ones that have catastrophic accidents... it's usually veterans... stunt pilots and military pilots and shit with decades of experience.

The air show accidents happen pretty much every year since the history of flight and airshows so it's not like a rarity. Statistically it's a rarity but it's not a shocking moment. We're due for a couple every year or two worldwide.

A second one has crashed in a different airshow.

The second deadly air show crash in 24 hours has left one pilot dead in West Virginia and prompted the National Transportation Safety Board to dispatch an investigator to the site where an aerobatic demonstration plane plunged into a runway and exploded as spectators looked on.

Thousands of people were watching from a distance but no one was injured when a T-28 fixed-wing plane in a civilian aerobatics group wobbled and crashed Saturday, authorities said. Many in the crowd hugged each other and cried after seeing the aircraft appear to disintegrate in a fireball.
The ill-fated aircraft was part of a T-28 acrobatic team that tours the nation performing in air shows such as the Thunder Over the Blue Ridge airshow organized over the weekend at an airport near Martinsburg, according to Gen. James Hoyer, West Virginia Air National Guard adjutant.
The rest of the air show, including Sunday's planned performances, were canceled.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e37_1316345632

I thought it sounded pretty normal in the videos I saw, but I just watched a new one, really close to the crash and it did sound cool.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b72_1316251626

Also, I always liked the sound of the plane crashing in Left 4 Dead.

Holy shit, it does sound badass in that video. Makes me want to go watch Tora! Tora! Tora! or some shit. Admittedly the chorus of screams of panic and terror that starts right after it kind of dampens my enthusiasm.

The first time I got to the Dead Air finale I was pretty goddamn impressed by the plane crash... still one of the cooler set-pieces in a recent game IMO.

Thats the same video Warped posted in the OP.

Haven't people learned? I love Airshows, unfortunately, if people don't follow proper safety procedures, it can be very dangerous. You never, EVER, do acrobatics OVER the spectators. You can do straight and level flight over the crowd, (I've seen lots of that before at other Airshows), but never any loops or rolls or anything of that sort. It is rather exciting, but if things go wrong, people get hurt or die in a tragic accident. But Airshows are still dangerous and freak accidents do occur, like the SU-27 crash that killed 70 people.

Except they weren't doing acrobatics. It was the third lap in a race and something broke on the plane.

MNyWB.jpg

People in Reno sure like cowboy hats.

I'm scanning that image for body parts... morbidly enough. I'm happy to say I couldn't find any in that image.

I wouldn't have posted it, at least without spoilers, if you could. You can however make out the pilot's ejection seat and its un-deployed parachute.

They need to make that foam from the movie Demolition Man and just replicate it to everywhere around a plane

Back