Plausible explanation - a definitive collection of this theory *SPOILERS THROUGHOUT*

Mystery

Reaction score
Okay, as pretentious as it sounds, this is the only possible explanation in my mind for the story, along with most plausible. I'm new here, and i know various conflicting theories are rampant, but i'm just trying to piece together in my own mind the way everything links together. I'm not trying to start an 'OMGZZZ GORDON FREEMAN IS THE GMAN?!?!?!?!' esque argument or anything like that. We're Valve fans. We speculate every packet of information that is contained in every game, because we know that there probably is some kind of deep meaning.

'Hidden between the first and second orange gel test spheres in Chapter 7 is an office with a portrait hanging on the wall. By this point in the game, you’ve seen plenty of pictures of Aperture owner Cave Johnson, but this is the only one in which he’s joined by his assistant Caroline. GLaDOS exclaims that these people “look so familiar,” and if you’ve put the rather obvious pieces together, you should realize you’re staring at someone far more significant – GLaDOS as a human, before she was uploaded into a robot.

That’s not the only mind-blowing implication. Think back to the science project – Chell’s father, possibly both parents, worked at Aperture. And here are two Aperture employees with “C” names, suddenly looking closer than mere boss and assistant… suddenly looking similar to our heroine, who happened to receive a new face for Portal 2. Oh, and did we mention the meaning of the name Caroline is “free man” or “Freeman”? What, too much?'

Pay close attention to ALL of the dialogue of the following video. Didn't realise this at first, but in the second half of this GLaDOS talks at the same time as the voice in the background (i didnt hear the voice in the background when i played), meaning that she still has portions of her memory as Caroline intact. This fits in with the fact that she recognises the portrait of herself and Cave but doesn't know where from.

'So there's been loads of speculation into Chell's identity. I thought I'd list all we knew about her here and let the community have a real go at tying to piece some sort of lineage together. I have my own thoughts and opinions but I'll keep them on reserve for this seed message.

Things we know from Portal 1
Nothing. Not a damn thing.

Things Known from the Lab Rat Comic.:
Her name is Chell [Surname Redacted]
Nobody else's last name was hidden.
This writing appears in her folder: When asked "Why Should Aperture Science accept you as a research volunteer and would anyone file a police report if you went missing?" Subject refused to answer. (Underneath it has "The cake is a lie." in binary)
She is completely average on everything except tenacity which she scored so high on it was recommended she not be tested.

Things we know from Portal 2 Gameplay:
Chell does not age when put under hibernation. (Presumed centuries have gone by since Portal 1 and she still has the exact same as in the first one)
The Neuro Toxin was released on 'Take your daughter to work day.'
There was a science project with the name Chell on it.

Things Glados Says:
Chell is an orphan (Mentioned several several times).
There are two other persons with her last name on list and one was a man.
Caroline was a lot like Chell (Ending song).

Cave Johnson and Caroline:
There is a hidden painting of the couple that very much resemble Chell.
Cave Johnson is the owner of Aperture Science and Caroline is his assistant.
Cave Johnson says in a recorded message: "Sorry fellas, she's married... To science!"
Various recorded messages exist of the two interacting and being friendly. At the end, Cave states very boldly he wants Caroline to run the facility and be preserved in disk form (Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System, anyone?) if he should die before they are able to do it to him. So both Cave and Caroline are dead.

The turret song translated:
My pretty dear, my pretty dear child
Oh my dear farewell, my child, dear why dont you stay away, yes away, from science
Dear, oh my child Oh my dear Oh my child Dear'

Sources:
'Portrait of a lady' section
Chell's identity - an in depth look

I still think it's too obvious for it to be true.

Fair enough... although, not everything needs to be super convoluted either.
A prequel would be nice. Something that would either be definitive in explination as well as giving the player some primitive "science" tools that might make gameplay more challenging.
I LOVED going through the abandoned facilities and getting some back story, as well as more BMRF tie-ins without making it a Black Mesa story, and giving better story for Caroline, Cave (NEED MORE CAVE JOHNSON!!), and Chell story. Maybe play as Ratman or something like that. I liked seeing the hints of competition between the two facilities, and since Aperture was on the losing side of the competition, their story would be the more entertaining perspective to tell it from.
It would be great to get a game that starts maybe a week before "Bring Your Daughter to Work Day" and goes through the GLaDOS takeover.

As far as it being so obvious, I agree to a point. Chell's potato project used items from "daddy's work", and GLaDOS make references constantly throughout the game about Chell's past. As for the orphan thing, even that makes sense. Once Cave and Caroline died, the company "adopted" her, and kept her for testing. GLaDOS didn't kill her with the others maybe because of some small emotional attachment left over from Caroline, and kept her alive for more testing.

Cliff Clavin would be an interesting Aperture Science CEO substitute. His recordings would be full of epic ramblings.

Not enough conclusive evidence to suggest Chell is the daughter of Cave Johnson and Caroline. In reality, these pieces of information seem to be little more than tidbits and teases. Plus, some of the stuff you pointed out isn't even relevant to the theory. How does Freeman play a role here? Why even make note of that? Also, saying there are similarities between the two people in the portrait and Chell is subjective. Even so, I want to see a side-by-side comparison.

You've got to get some real hard evidence before putting forth such a claim.

Not enough conclusive evidence to suggest Chell is the daughter of Cave Johnson and Caroline. In reality, these pieces of information seem to be little more than tidbits and teases. Plus, some of the stuff you pointed out isn't even relevant to the theory. How does Freeman play a role here? Why even make note of that? Also, saying there are similarities between the two people in the portrait and Chell is subjective. Even so, I want to see a side-by-side comparison.

You've got to get some real hard evidence before putting forth such a claim.

it's just an idea dude, jesus christ.

Back