PlayStation 3 Revealed!

Asuka

Companion Cube
Reaction score
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/37061

Looks powerfull. Not bad for a console.

* Backwards compatibility with both PSone and PS2 games.
* Will use Blu-Ray discs for media; also supports: CD-ROM, CD+RW, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R
* Cell processor at 3.2GHz
* 2.18 teraflops of performance
* 512MB total: 256MB XDR system RAM at 3.2 GHz; 256MB of GDDRVRAM at 700MHz
* Slot that supports a detachable 2.5in HDD
* Six USB ports; Memory Stick Duo, SD and Compact Flash support
* 2 HDMI outputs, 1 A/V output, 1 SPDIF optical output, and a 1 gigabit ethernet port
* Video chat, Internet access, digital picture, audio, and video viewing
* Capable of handling seven Bluetooth controllers

Graphics:

* Chip is called RSX "Reality Synthesizer" by nVidia
* 128 bit pixel precision and 1080p support
* 300 million transistors; 90nm process
* Said to be more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultras

Looks pretty nice

1116287194_ps31.jpg

What the hell is a "teraflop" ?

On that picture it looks like a fax machine!

$10 says thoes won't be the specs when it's released

Thats good specs, should have some sweet games!

I think they have ****ed up the design though, looks like a friggin cigar tin or something.

too bad that I dont know too much of specs
but if they say that the videocards is more powerfull hat 2 gforce6800 thats means is higer that 256mb or whatever the spect that cards hav?

Sweetness.
Can't wait to see what it looks like!

edit : That pic of it looks like a 3D render.

I like it. Course I'm biased and I have a strong dislike of the 360, but I'm getting this if any.

Wow unbelievable!!!!

It's more than I was Expected

I wanna Buy it now ( Can't wait till 2006 )

Is that the Spiderman font on top? It actually looks fugly as uck. But the specs are great. We can only hope they change the design before long.

Secs say 6 USB ports... only 2 on in the pics...

Also, 2 teraflops? Thats doubble the supposed 1 Terraflop that the X-360 has...
And 512MB memory? Compared to the PS2's 4MB thats pretty rediculous.

7 controllers? That dosent make any sence at all. Split screen is out of the question for 7 players.

Its ugly but its looking like a beastial machine!

I am somehow not hyped. I am waiting to see what Nintendo has up their sleeves.

WhiteZero said:
Secs say 6 USB ports... only 2 on in the pics...

Also, 2 teraflops? Thats doubble the supposed 1 Terraflop that the X-360 has...
And 512MB memory? Compared to the PS2's 4MB thats pretty rediculous.
If those specs are real it is gonna be A BEAST
think about that power then think how it is a cell proccessor, and the fact consoles are "dedicated" .......and that graphics being apparently better than 2 ultras, holy cow it has the potential to blow the xbox360 out the water.

It will own the Gay-Box2 sooooooo bad

edit: btw SWIII is leaked^^

Lemonking said:
It will own the Gay-Box2 sooooooo bad
:LOL:
teh r3d textz0r MAKS IT TEH TROTH LOL OIMFG

I think the best thing is the support for (oddly) 7 wireless controllers. You can throw specs around all youd like, but thats a good addition that everybody uses and sees.

more pics

man just say wow to the best looking and powerfull console

ps3.jpg

ps3-2.jpg

ps3-3.jpg

sonye3press.jpg

ps3 is the strongest one ( more than PC )

PlayStation3 Tech Data
PLAYSTATION®3 Specifications

Product name PLAYSTATION®3 CPU Cell Processor PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz 1 VMX vector unit per core 512KB L2 cache 7 x SPE
@3.2GHz 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance
: 218 GFLOPS

GPU RSX @550MHz 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels Multi-way programmable parallel
floating point shader pipelines

Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth Main RAM 25.6GB/s VRAM 22.4GB/s RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read) SB 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance 2 TFLOPS

Storage HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0) Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1 SD standard/mini x 1 CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2) Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g Bluetooth
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller Bluetooth (up to 7) USB2.0 (wired) Wi-Fi (PSP®) Network (over IP)

AV Output Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p HDMI HDMI out x 2 Analog AV MULTI OUT x 1 Digital audio DIGITAL OUT
(OPTICAL) x 1

Disc media * read only CD PlayStation® CD-ROM PlayStation®2 CD-ROM CD-DA CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW SACD SACD Hybrid (CD
layer), SACD HD DualDisc DualDisc (audio side),DualDisc DVD side)

DVD PlayStation®2 DVD-ROM PLAYSTATION®3 DVD-ROM DVD-Video DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Blu-ray Disc PLAYSTATION®3 BD-ROM BD-Video BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Recognized as the global leader and company responsible for the progression of
consumer-based computer entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufacturers, distributes and markets the
PlayStation® game console, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and the PlayStation®Portable (PSP®) handheld
entertainment system. PlayStation has revolutionized home entertainment by introducing advanced 3D graphic processing, and
PlayStation 2 further enhances the PlayStation legacy as the core of home networked entertainment. PSP is a new portable
entertainment system that allows users to enjoy 3D games, with high-quality full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo
audio. SCEI, along with its subsidiary divisions Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc., Sony Computer Entertainment
Europe Ltd., and Sony Computer Entertainment Korea Inc. develops, publishes, markets and distributes software, and manages
the third party licensing programs for these platforms in the respective markets worldwide. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan,
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. is an independent business unit of the Sony Group.

KU_ said:
I am somehow not hyped. I am waiting to see what Nintendo has up their sleeves.

hope so btw I think the SWIII is fake sry about that :sleep:

These next-gen consoles look so ugly. >.<

I hope this one actually COMES with 4 controller ports.

I'm waiting for you nerds to calculate the exact number differences between the two, im curious. HOW MANY UBERFLOPS DOES THIS SHIT HAVE LOL.

HAHAHA OH MY GOD that controller is the ugliest thing I've ever seen, it looks like duel ant penises or something.

Ugly... and I can't see any mention of the PS3 being able to function as a media centre in the same way the XB360 does...

Quite frankly, XB360 FTW.

This cell chip, what effect has it had on games coding? Does it mean ports are pretty much out of the question/going to take a really long time?

Looks nice and simple. That controller looks kinda uncomfortable though. Almost like a boomerang. I wonder what the games look like. :)

I like the design better than the 360, much sleeker and futuristic looking. The specs are amazing, but I think everyone knew going in that PS3 would be the most powerful console this generation. And the controller .... it's either going to be the most comfortable thing I've ever held or the most awkward, I can't tell yet.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html?q=1&tag=gs_hp_topslot_click

To show off the PlayStation 3's graphical brawn, Sony showed several game demos, including an Unreal 3 tech demo of what appeared to be Unreal Tournament 2007. In what must come as a relief to developers, Epic Games' Tim Sweeney was on hand to vouch for the PS3, saying it was "easy to program for" and that Epic had received its first PS3 hardware two months ago. He proved the tech demo was real time by showing it again and manipulating the camera and zooming in.

However Sweeney's words were only the beginning. Later, Sony trotted out a whole host of publishers who are backing the PlayStation 3--and in the process confirmed several games for the console. Hideo Kojima introduced Konami's Metal Gear Solid 4, Capcom showed off Devil May Cry 4, Namco unveiled Tekken 6, Polyphony Digital trotted out Gran Turismo 5, SCEE showed off a brutal demo of the next Killzone.

I can't wait to see these in action. :bounce:

gh0st said:
This is interesting

8784671701491003.JPG
Not really, it's expected ... although you can't use that as a basis for which is better - since the ps3 will rarely use even half of its limit... the defining factor here is the gpu cores performance, and the feature list overall.

lePobz said:
Not really, it's expected ... although you can't use that as a basis for which is better - since the ps3 will rarely use even half of its limit... the defining factor here is the gpu cores performance, and the feature list overall.
Yep I've not found anything about the GPU yet. Its an nvidia solution though. The 2 teraflops thing is bullshit by the way. I'm waiting for the xbox press conference.

After reading more about the machine, it sounds like an absolute beast! :O I wonder what the cost of this thing will be. :O

gh0st said:
Yep I've not found anything about the GPU yet. Its an nvidia solution though. The 2 teraflops thing is bullshit by the way. I'm waiting for the xbox press conference.

Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512mb of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has over 300 million transistors, larger than any processor available commercially today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1000 total if bought today.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html?q=1&tag=gs_hp_topslot_click

That controller scares me...

If the RSX would cost $1000...
and add up all the hardware in the PS3...
:-\ I'll buy a car, thanks.

Back