PLEASE HELP! Crash on loading screen!

L

lukeowitz

I orginally bought and played and completed the game with the below specs:

Dell dimension 2350
Intel 4 processer 2.4Ghz
XP home edition
Intel 82845G Extreme graphics controller (64MB)
Direct X 9.0
Sound max digital audio
512 MB of ram

A few days ago i downloaded the latest driver for my graphics chipset from intel, and now the game wont load! It crashes!
Everytime i try, its gets past the valve logo, and onto the blurry loading screen for a few seconds. It then makes the error noise, and crashes back to the desktop. I occassional get an error message that flashes on the screen, but not for long enough to read. Has anyone else experianced the same or similar problem and solved it successfully?
It cant be anything to do with my specs, because it worked fine before, i dont see why its doing this. Please help.

All I can suggest is to revert to your older drivers if you can find them, if the newer drivers weren't properly tested they could do that.

Otherwise there may be a setting in Steam/HL that has already 'looked' at your video card, but after changing your drivers it hasn't 'looked' again?? (No idea about this, as steam won't even let me play hl2!!) - CW666

Yeah, im gonna see if i can find the driver i installed the other day and delete the files, hopefully this will solve the problem.
If not, does anyone have any paths to add to the 'launch options' menu that might solve the problem? As this solved a similar problem when i updated my graphics card back in Jan.
Thanks.

Its no good, i cant find all the files i downloaded, they're scattered all over my windows and temp files folder, i dont wanna go deleting files i need by mistake.
Any other ideas?

Plus what problem did you have? As ive been through many and resolved them, so could perhaps help you?

Click on Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager

Scroll down to Display Adapter and click on the +

When the list expands, choose your display adapter (will likely be Intel 82845G Extreme graphics controller). Double click on it and this will take you to its properties. Click on the Driver tab and then select the Rollback Driver button and that will re-load the drivers from the other day.

Restart your computer and test the game. See if that helps :)

It didnt work :( Exactly the same problem. Any other ideas?

You have WindowsXP so do a System Restore back to when the game was last working.

Chris_D said:
You have WindowsXP so do a System Restore back to when the game was last working.

As far as anyone can tell this has to do with the latest patch (at least it does for me). In other words, that won't do anything to help.

Help

Hi i have had this problem from day one.I have had this game for almost 3 months and yet still not able to play it.The game sticks on the blurry loading screen and then cuts off onto my desktop.An error box has popped up a fews times but i cant remember whats its was called.I also have problems with my cs.s source i had to type a certain code like thing into console before i connected to every server.I have lost this and yet my cs.s dont work either it has worked before.
I have been looking about for help and yet not found any i am hoping if you guys know anything :(
And also i cant remember the code ti cs.s and wondering if anyone can tell me it began with mat........... i cant remeber the rest :( Ghost :sniper:

It wont let me system restore as the computer cant find any faults with itself. How long will it be before a replacment patch that works is released?

I have never in 3 years seen System Restore successfully revert perfectly.

This really brings home the point of, "when it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Try uninstalling your current videocard driver. Use drivercleaner to get rid of unwanted bits that get left behind. Wait for windows to detect a VGA controller (a little balloon pops up in the bottom right corner) then install your new or old drivers. Sometimes drivers just screw up for no reason. Rather than that I would delete the half life 2 configuration files config.cfg (back up first!!!). Good luck fixing the problem but thats what you get for playing it on unsupported integrated graphics hardware !

Odd, but damn it! Im getting fed up with this stupid game, bah. I might aswell just go trade it in if it aint gonna work. I got a small amount of enjoyment out of it.

Back