Podcast 17 - New Live Stream on Halflife2.net

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
In case you've never tuned in before, Podcast 17 is a weekly podcast covering all Valve, Steam & Mod news. The podcast has been around for 60 episodes (with a few appearances from myself!) and is presented by William and Phillip of planetphillip.com[br]
[br]
You can download the show from the podcast17 site at any time or listen live on Sunday! Since Halflife2.net is such a big fan of the show we've provided the P17 with a Shoutcast server on Halflife2.net to improve their live broadcasting.[br]The show starts every Sunday at 10:00am EST / 3:00pm GMT, check out the Podcast 17 Live Stream schedule for a link to the stream, live chat during the show and the agenda for the show!

epic you will get to tune into glenn and me time to time :)

IS THIS ENGLISH

So wait I thought a podcast and live stream were distinctly different.

I thought podcast was like an mp3 you downloaded that was previously recorded... And a live stream is something you tune into and is like, live.

"This just in... still no news from valve."
"Nope."

"mods lol"

but no man you do good.

IS THIS ENGLISH

They are, but with P17 you can listen to the show being recorded live (bit rough around the edges with small breaks for interviewees to connect and some dead air) but it's mostly the same thing. mp3 is usually ready for download on Tuesday after a Sunday recording, which is when I grab it, put it on my mp3 player and listen to it on the train!

IS THIS ENGLISH

I thought podcast was like an mp3 you downloaded that was previously recorded... And a live stream is something you tune into and is like, live.

People can listen to the live recording on Sundays, and then the episode is later released few days later in a mp3 form.

Podcast 17 does good work and the contributors are surprisingly interesting to listen to, but it seems awfully long winded to me. Listening to 2 hours of talk about the Half-Life community seems like a commitment I can't quite bring myself to make, but then perhaps I'm just not inside said community enough to be drawn in by three quarters of an hour of discussion about the latest renders from doomed high-school mod project #229, #331 and #776. I appreciate you're probably supposed to skip to the bits that interest you (unless you're listening to the live show) but surely the whole point is that you're supposed to be alerted to stuff that may actually be interesting by sticking it out and listening to the whole show?

That's probably what all podcasts are like and I'm just ignorant. Also 'podcast' is a word forged in the dictionary corner of hell, a place where even with their mighty OEDs, they can never manage to beat the smarmy Oxbridge undergrad to the 9 letter word hidden within the conundrum.

Back