Poll #2 About our Rating System

What kind of post rating should we have?

• Like only

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Like / Dislike (+1 / -1)

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Multiple ratings (Like, Dislike, Agree, Disagree etc.)

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, thank you for voting on our previous poll regarding the post likes system.

We had 10 votes saying there should not be a rating system at all, compared to 19 who voted one of the other three options.

So, on the basis of these results, we will be keeping the rating system in some form.

However, I'm yet to decide what that should look like as there are still conflicting ideas as to what would work best.

I think it's also fair to allow anyone who previously said no to the system to now tell us if a like system will remain on the site, what form it should take. Therefore, the poll options are nearly identical...

I voted to not have a system at all, but since it's now inevitable, like many changes, I would go for like only. Like/dislike and the other option seem like a form of discouraging actual posting/discussion. My opinion is the same for this achievements/trophy thing (what is this, xbox?!).

So, after much deliberation, I've shifted my opinion from the last thread from Like Only to Like/Dislike.

Also, I like the trophy things. Previously your title improved just by posting and most of those posts could have been total crap. At least now you get a small pat on the back for actively being a part of the ValveTime community, linking up your accounts and things like that.

If it encourages people to do more and expand their presence here, shit, I'm all for it.

So, after much deliberation, I've shifted my opinion from the last thread from Like Only to Like/Dislike.

Also, I like the trophy things. Previously your title improved just by posting and most of those posts could have been total crap. At least now you get a small pat on the back for actively being a part of the ValveTime community, linking up your accounts and things like that.
Linking up your accounts doesn't mean shit, and those don't even count for many points. Right now the most points you get are from post count.

Your point about post quality is pretty weak. Anyone who posts a bunch of total crap is not going to be very liked, so who even cares about their title. And if they're posting 'total crap' they wouldn't even have a chance to reach a high post count.

It's all pretty meaningless, but I think post count is a better indication of how involved a user is with the community than the trophy points.

Linking up your accounts doesn't mean shit, and those don't even count for many points. Right now the most points you get are from post count.

Your point about post quality is pretty weak. Anyone who posts a bunch of total crap is not going to be very liked, so who even cares about their title. And if they're posting 'total crap' they wouldn't even have a chance to reach a high post count.

It's all pretty meaningless, but I think post count is a better indication of how involved a user is with the community than the trophy points.
LOL, Vegeta.

Point is, I don't really see any negatives with having trophy things like I can see the qualms people will have with having their posts disliked etc. There's really no need for heavy srs bizniz over it.

Can we have an "apathetic indifference" option so I can't use it?

I think I'll go with the Facebook system.

I think it could be useful to have multiple ratings, but it certainly depends on what they are. What is the intent behind these ratings on this site? The choice of rating options will indicate somewhat the theme/tone of this community. Slashdot.org, for example, has rating types that focus around post quality, and the idea behind that is to promote "better" answers and stifle spam/trolling, as the theme of that site is "intelligent" discussion about news items. Break.com, for example, has ratings for their videos/galleries that flags them into, I don't quite know how to put it, juvenile (?) catagories, which is useful for searches and linking related content. One can get a feel for what a community is about by looking at their rating system, so again I ask: what is the intent behind the rating system here? If it's just meant to be a source of points for user accounts/trophies, a simple like/dislike should be fine. What happens to posts/posters who get rated up or down? What does that say about our community?

I'd prefer no rating system at all. There's a reason why Reddit is a horrible piece of shit and it is karma. Got an unpopular opinion? Enjoy le downvotes.

If we really need this, Like only would be best. I just don't see any point why we should have any rating system at all. Anyone want to explain?

If we really need this, Like only would be best. I just don't see any point why we should have any rating system at all. Anyone want to explain?
Because look how many trophy points I have. This is awesome.

Vegeta897 said:
It's insulting to us long time members who have used and enjoyed the forums for years without applying numerical ratings to what we have contributed.

I am vehemently against this principle.

Oh Chris, you joker! You know kids say the darnedest things.

The actual story is that I have ceased caring since nobody else seems to have fought against it and now I'm used to it. Seems pointless to resist further at this point.

Back