Pondering the state of Mods

Vertigo

Reaction score
I know what you're thinking: "What the hell is this guy talking about? There's a huge fanbase for Half-Life!". While this is true, many mod makers lost faith in Half-Life soon after Op4, as Valve largely ignored mod makers thereafter.

Look at The Opera, a quality HKBO mod, for example. Practically the entire staff resents Valve for ignoring their own fanbase (I'm talking about later on in Half-Life's life, not soon after the release). As Nighthawk, project leader of TO, said, "I understand what they did on a business level, but as a gamer and a mod maker, it's unacceptable".

And, quite honestly, I agree to a certain extent. While it's a smart business move, it leaves many gamers and mod makers in the dark. As such, many of the *good* and dedicated mod makers from Half-Life went on to other engines that they trust will be constantly updated (UT2003, etc.).

Furthermore, much of the fanbase are just regular gamers, or regular gamers with ideas that, while they may be cool, may be hard/impossible to execute without a top-level team to work with. Many of the mod makers seem to have gone to UT2003, and I doubt they'd switch back over to another engine so soon.

So, I'm just wondering...after reading this, do any of you think there will be fewer quality mods to come out for Half-Life 2 right off the bat or not? I mean, sure, we're seeing a lot of mods pop up now, but let's be honest: most mods never get finished, or just downright stink (no offense to the mod makers who post on this forum, it's just the truth, in my mind). It may just be me, being a pessimist and all, but I'm not so sure...

-Vert
P.S. Don't flame me for my opinion. It's just that -- an opinion. And I have a right to it. Thank you.
P.P.S. Yes, I know I could be completely wrong. Yes, I know I'm probably wrong. Yes, I know it's almost a certainty that I'm wrong, but, hell -- it's something to worry about.
EDIT: Also, if this seems that I'm trying to say "Mod makers suck", I'm not. If I convey that, please accept my deepest apologies. Ambition with mod makers is what powered Half-Life and what, I believe, will power HL2.

True developers make games with or without the support of say for example, Valve. If they have the tools, then that is all they need. Desert Combat is a clear example of quality coming from a game that has no SDK or tools of any sort. EA doesn't support them and I doubt they ever will. If you are dedicated to what you do, then that is all you need.

I realize that, but, while Valve DID have an SDK (I, personally, hated Hammer), they also gave less and less support for it as time went on. While I understand why (working on HL2, I suppose), many mod makers gave up hope, as they heard of no announcement from Valve, and so they went on to heavily supported games like UT2003. I'm sure there will be quality mods for HL2 still, but I'm worried that many of the HL-experienced mod makers are sticking with UT2003 (case in point: The Opera).

-Vert

How is UT2003 heavily supported? I've been with that game since launch and not once have I heard of support from Epic/DE besides patch releases and bonus packs.

UT2003 has a very advanced and sophisticated SDK, it uses UnrealScript (which, quite honestly, I love), it gets numerous patches, and UT2004 is backwards compatible, so it's like a yearly big update.

-Vert

Well, think baout it from the point of veiw of valve.
HL is a hugley popular game. HL has many mods and mod teams.
Oh, people are starting to code thier own tools. Well, we have a business to run, and HL2 to make. Should we spend more time/money on making more mod tools?

Originally posted by Vertigo
UT2003 has a very advanced and sophisticated SDK, it uses UnrealScript (which, quite honestly, I love), it gets numerous patches, and UT2004 is backwards compatible, so it's like a yearly big update.

-Vert

UT gameplay compared to Quake sucked bigtime ( im not saying thta I dont like it, I have played it a lot myself), Ut2003 gameplay still sucks, who cares about the best SDK of the worst engine...

going from HL to UT2003 is like selling ur soul to the devil, go ahead nobody will pull u back... :flame:

Originally posted by Dizzy.Iznogood
UT gameplay compared to Quake sucked bigtime ( im not saying thta I dont like it, I have played it a lot myself), Ut2003 gameplay still sucks, who cares about the best SDK of the worst engine...

going from HL to UT2003 is like selling ur soul to the devil, go ahead nobody will pull u back... :flame:

Friend....Gameplay and a game engine isnt the same thing!

Reading the first post really makes me feel sorry for the people who make The Opera for HL1, IMO that mod had LOADS of potential, but people ignored it ? why ?

Never played Opera, but it seemed to garner a lot of attention when it was released. From their old website it says the last release was a beta that crashed occasionally but they wanted to work on the new one so that's all they would do. Way to support your fans! Why people ignored it... well maybe that was marketability, promotion, execution, basic value of the product. There are lots of ways a mod can fail.

Honestly, the majority of mods are not worth Valve "supporting". Unlike Mods Valve HAS to make money. There were..I'd say 200 mods out there or more and maybe 15 produced a playable product. I saw mod announcments in 2002-2003 for HL1 mods! Talk about clueless. Planning to build a mod around 4 year old tech--that will be 6-7 year old tech when you're done, come on!

look no further than Unreal 2k3 for callous marketing....UT 2k4 is a milking....really, and what is there to hate about Hammer? Personally i think the future of mods is very bright, you are right, you do have the right to an opinion. However, hating an editor/SDK and loving a particular type of script is not a reason to question the future of modmaking.....look at my mod, Operation Everlating Shadow (PLUG!), it is in fact my second commited attempt at a mod, one which never even made it past the mapping stage :( (it was in HL1 engine) and that did not stop me from trying again, and this time I am determined not to fail. Failure makes you much stronger in resolve, and the Opera may have been one multiplayer casultie (sorry about spelling) among millions, but that doesn't make it ok. Valve will support us.....i think

Back