Portal 2 In-Game Editor Coming Soon + Wins A Golden Joystick Award

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Valve have announced today that the second game add-on for the year's highest rated multi-platform game, Portal 2, is in development and targeted for release early next year. This major update will feature an easy-to-use in-game map editor that will let users design, build and share their own single-player and co-op test chambers with the community, who will be able to view, play and vote on them with a simple click.[br]

[br]
Meanwhile, Portal 2 was up for nomination in this year's Golden Joystick awards 2011 for the 'Ultimate Game of the Year' category and swept to victory! You can see an interview with Colin Blackwood and Kevin Flynn on BBC News. You can check out the other winners on the Golden Joystick twitter with other winners including Minecraft, League of Legends, Starcraft 2 and Call of Duty: Black Ops.[br]
gjaportal2.jpg
[br]Colin Blackwood and Kevin Flynn from EA Games accepting the award on behalf of Valve.[br]Picture courtesy of Golden Joystick Awards facebook page

Cool stuff. I love the idea of an ingame listing aswell. Thats exactly what this kind of thing needs.

Hot damn that editor looks gorgeous! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Do we know if this update will be free too?

If that's what the actual map editor looks like...

[gmanvoice]I am impressed.[/gmanvoice]

Do we know if this update will be free too?
It's Valve. If Microsoft won't allow a free update the 360 people will be charged, everyone else will get it free.

Oh wow this looks really great, and congrats to Valve! LoL won best Free 2 Play game as well over TF2. The year is far from over though so I'm not sure why they gave away these awards.

I'm pretty sure that's what the map editor looks like. One of the guys behind Google's Sketchup is working at Valve, and this looks fairly similar.

valve is making a working tool? the world is coming to end.

Well if this is really what the editor is going to look like then color me impressed and I'm going to be making lots of puzzles with this. :D

I bet nobody's ever noticed that before. Quickly, alert BAFTA and the Academy! They should also correct this heinous mistake immediately.

I guess its so that the major game release window between October and March is considered a single year, rather than splitting it down the middle. Either that or they threw a dart at a calender

I'm pretty sure that's what the map editor looks like. One of the guys behind Google's Sketchup is working at Valve, and this looks fairly similar.

Yeah they updated Portal 2- The final hours app and explains this. If this is just a part of how streamlined the in-game editor will be, i'd be interested to see how streamlined Hammer will be in about half a years time. The 'follow me' tool is so fast and easy to use, yet so powerful, it would make making complex architecture in Source levels a breeze

Back