Portal Prelude Is Out!

anyone have a clue how to get past the first chamber?

Stuck on level 15...

On the first chamber, the turrets? Shoot a portal on the roof as soon as you pop out the floor then jump back in.

Neat, I'll be taking a look at this.... in a couple of days when I get Internet quota back :(

Yeah, 776MB is a bit big.
I should probably update my graphics card.

Quick question, does anyone know the command to re-activate the reticle after it's been turned off? Mine is gone and for a while i've been having to use Impulse 101 to get the Half-Life 2 reticle on my ASHPD.

Before you ask, yes, i will be turning it on when i get around to trying this map. Looks great so far, and i only saw one screenshot.

Friggin hell, this game is annoyingly hard. I'm on test 16 and keep getting obliterated by the second set of damn turrets. >_<

I just played some of this, and it's awful. The jumps require WAY too much precision for it to be fun, and the level design is generally shitty. At least in Portal, the levels could fairly easily be done once you know how to do them; in this ****ing mod it's more like "I know this is how it's supposed to work, the ****ing voice even told me this is how it's supposed to work, but it's not ****ing working!"

I just played some of this, and it's awful. The jumps require WAY too much precision for it to be fun, and the level design is generally shitty. At least in Portal, the levels could fairly easily be done once you know how to do them; in this ****ing mod it's more like "I know this is how it's supposed to work, the ****ing voice even told me this is how it's supposed to work, but it's not ****ing working!"

You obviously have no patience. I've never actually gotten frustrated because the layout to the puzzles are completely unique and easily done once you actually know what you are doing. It's not that it's hard, it's just you suck at it to put it bluntly.

If you listen to them talking, they say something about crouch jumping. So remember that when you jump in the portal on the ground.

You obviously have no patience. I've never actually gotten frustrated because the layout to the puzzles are completely unique and easily done once you actually know what you are doing. It's not that it's hard, it's just you suck at it to put it bluntly.

Or the puzzles just suck real bad

The third puzzle relies on you abusing a physics error dealing with crouching while going through a portal at speed. There's a vocal hint to this effect the first time you try to get to the third ledge, but it only just mentions that crouching has something to do with the solution.

1) It isn't as simple as just crouching when you go through a portal.
2) They don't even use this as a "mechanic" in later levels... so...
confused.gif

99.9% of the puzzles require counter-intuitive thinking to work around it, and leaps of logic that don't even make sense when you look back on them.

I'm downloading this just because of Adrik's criticism.

He makes it so enticing and now I want to be able to have an opinion about it. :/

--
Checking for alternate download source..

--
Filefront is god. 616kb/s no waiting.

Maybe im just crazy, but yeah I was really looking forward to this and Im really disappointed.

Portal puzzles should be like a good riddle: when the answer is known, it should seem obvious. Almost none of the puzzles in the game are like this.

Maybe im just crazy, but yeah I was really looking forward to this and Im really disappointed.

Portal puzzles should be like a good riddle: when the answer is known, it should seem obvious. Almost none of the puzzles in the game are like this.

That's the thing, you just don't look close enough. I've had the exact experience you described in most levels. Honestly, I can't think of one level where I didn't say... OHHHHHH, that's how it's supposed to be!

I mean just give it a better shot. How far did you actually get in the game? I just really want you to like it, beardface. It really is a brilliant mod when you actually get the hang of their puzzles.

That's the thing with puzzles, one person's (Valve's) can be brilliant and hard at the same time, yet completely straight forward, and another one's (PP's) can be brilliant and hard, but you actually have to look at the puzzle and gather it as a whole to figure it out instead of sitting there for two seconds and be like.. duh, this is what I have to do.. I mean I know some of their puzzles are unorthodox, but to be honest, they are actually pretty easy once you truly get the hang of the creator's thinking.

Try it again, Adrik, and I'll have.. Stigmata or Taviow give you a blow job.

Thats the thing I reaaallly want to like it D:

I guess the thing is I went in expecting more of a puzzle game, but what I got instead felt more like those FPS jumping maps were you just need really good reflexes.

Im gonna give it another go, but really these are my problems with it:

-Don't try to get text to speech software to talk casually and try to pass it off as a human. If you can't be bothered to find a voice actor make your text to speech character an AI, especially in a setting that's well known for an established AI character.

-Don't ruin the jokes in the original game by having the scientists throw an actual party with a cake when you win.

-The game crashed when Glados started killing the scientists.

-Don't get players to walk into a room, then activate sentries that kill you in 2 seconds unless you have superhuman reflexes.

-Don't make the player have to stand in an insta-death field to trigger part of the level which then immediatly disintegrates or crushes you.

-Don't make players have to rely on rarely occurring game glitches to progress past the third stage.

-Don't arbitrarily change established game mechanics. If a particle field disintegrates cubes throughout the game don't include one that doesn't and require a box to be carried through it.

-Twitch reactions and luck aren't a good substitute for the puzzle element of the original game.

Edit:

BLOWJOBS? I ****ING LOVE THIS GAME

So I'm sitting there in some box before you get the second gun, and the is no way out. It's just a box.

Getting to this point was time consuming, but not difficult.

I completely align with Adrik's opinion.

But I will continue and try to defeat this game, just so I can show it who's boss.

It's a different style than Portal. Both are puzzle-platformers, technically, but Portal had relatively easy platforming and mostly emphasized the puzzling. Prelude is quite heavy on both.

If you want more Portal with harder puzzles, the Flash Version Mappack is much better. If you like the time/portals/steps challenges from Portal (and learned some of the tricks), and want more emphasis on platforming, Prelude is pretty dang good. Definitely not without its problems, but it's a newly released community mod.

(Personally, I do like the purer Portal/Flash Version gameplay more than Prelude, but I enjoyed all three.)

FFFFFFFFFFFFF

How do you do level 15!?

I am supposed to get a box through 3 of those "kill your box" energy walls.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCK

FFFFFFFFFFFFF

How do you do level 15!?

I am supposed to get a box through 3 of those "kill your box" energy walls.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCK

It's really not that hard.
You have to time everything correctly. First, put the first portal on the wall on your right. Then shoot the portal on the ceiling on the top far right after that column move. Then you jump through and you bypass the first death trap. Then the last one is completely timing. The one goes up and the other goes down, and then you jump through and wait it out because you have two separate spots where you can wait with your box.

That's that.

I've found the exact same thing. I've beaten Portal more than once, including some of the advanced maps; I've played numerous fan-made maps.
So far, I've known exactly what these puzzles have required of me, yet they're designed in such a way to leave very little room for error. Precision is one thing, but this is simply not fun. A lot of them feel like puzzles straight from Portal but placed in more cramped rooms. That is not "advanced" or anything like that, that is "poorly designed".
I feel like I'm being patronised and bamboozled at the same time, which is bollocks.

Did anyone else find the voices a bit annoying? I don't demand a Glados-calibre script but even so, they every so often try (and fail) to ape her vocal warbles, their banter is annoying and filled with moments of rather poor grammar too.

It's a shame because this had a potential to be very good and it's clearly trying very hard to live up to that. Bad luck.

Shamrock that's unfair, unhelpful and massively condescending.

One wonderful thing that competent designers do, is tailor their game/levels/puzzles to all skill levels. If it's proving too difficult for a lot of people, then they have failed in their task.

One wonderful thing that competent designers do, is tailor their game/levels/puzzles to all skill levels. If it's proving too difficult for a lot of people, then they have failed in their task.

Less true in the mod space. Or look at Mega Man 9. Modern commercial game design usually aims for everyone finishing the game (the "game as experience" school). Given that this game is a platformer, an older genre with an established history in the "game as challenge" school, I found Prelude's level design refreshing. It wouldn't work commercially today, but that's why it's a mod.

I'll agree that the computer voices got old quickly. Training would have helped a lot -- there were many skills required by Prelude that were neither used in Portal nor given a proper introduction in Prelude, beyond maybe an offhand comment from the test administrators.

I'm going to download it when I get home, you all make it sound so fun! I beat portal in 18 minutes, so hopefully the glitches that are required to do that will help me :).

Just finished it and the ending was great. But the main update they need is to get some voice actors to update the dialogue/grammer because the employee's were very difficult to listen to.

Do you need Portal to play or just First Slice?

I'm stuck on the final "puzzle" because I am not adept at ****ing see-sawing through portals in mid air in a confined room while trying to avoid a flying orb of death. Test 19 design fails and this game makes me hate Portal.

This mod is not challenging at all, it just requires you to do ridiculous shit.

--
I youtubed a walkthrough of the level and now am ashamed I did not even think of the what I should have done while in mid air.
I could have won this shit an hour ago. In any case, my opinion remains the same.

Well from what ive played, they have a good grasp on the portal visuals, the lighting and such definitely fit with the main game, I really like the initial idea of people walking behind the distorted glass.

The voices sound suspisiously like a certain Text-To-Speech service ive seen on the internet, I assume this is because they had no alternative (I could be wrong about that), but it kinda takes away from the premise that they are humans instead of GlaDOS when they keep speaking in a similar broken style.

My main gripe is somthing that I disliked in the FlashPack aswell, which is they keep randomly trying to kill you, I know the original Portal was set in a deadly enviroment, but (with the exception of the false fire pit ending) they never forced you into a situation that would kill you just for entering a room.
I also really dislike these tumbling blocks, walking to the edge of a platform only to have it collapse, or having a random block fall on your head just seems cheap to me.

If they aimed the mod at the hardcore portal players that love the more extreme challenges, then the difficulty isnt such a problem, but the majority of portals audience would probbally feel cheated on the first puzzle when the idea of Crouching to go further is never introduced ingame.

Just my opinions though, i always welcome more portal, and it clearly took alot of work, so cheers to them all. :D

Even though I hated the puzzles, everything after test totally 19 redeems this game.

To reiterate on the puzzles, they were not difficult, just very very annoying.

The voices sound suspisiously like a certain Text-To-Speech service ive seen on the internet, I assume this is because they had no alternative (I could be wrong about that), but it kinda takes away from the premise that they are humans instead of GlaDOS when they keep speaking in a similar broken style.

Yeah they said on their website before release that they didn't have the time or voice actors (there are only 3 main staff members) to record real voices. So they used a computer based tool which they claimed was realistic at the time, but seems fairly flawed and robotic in-game, especially when English is a second language to the mod makers and the grammer often didn't make sense. Hopefully they'll update the mod with real voice actors because that would fix the main problem.

awesome. I'm going to try this out in a minute. Filefront rules. 1.02MB/s Download from there...

I told my bro about this and he bet me ?100 that i was full of shit... as he's a huuuge Portal fan...

hehe

Obviously not huge enough to notice a massive user made expansion.

I'm not very far yet, but I have no plans of trying to get much further. I kind of did enjoy the first test chamber, but they just got frustating after that.

I 'ain't played it yet but I heart i heard the grammer is a bit wrong and the people talk like robots?
If this is so, why dont some people agree with the makers to do a voice over version?
I would happily do it! ;)
by the way, this green thing is cool!:bounce:

the only one I couldn't get for a long time was in the room with 4 turrets all pointing inward toward the button. i finally managed to grab them through portals and disable all four so I could push the button down with a box. anyone got a better way? tried standing on the x but I was still getting shot

Very annoying game.It's masochistic.
The part after the puzzles is the WORST game design EVER.
actually, the game is so badly designed....it would be much better without its absurd story.
I mean,what the heck? They plugged it GLaDOS, and then goes morality core...GLaDOS has lasers and gravity and toxins and hacks...and later it's supposed to use only rockets? eh...crap mod.

Back