Preload Started!

what are the payment methods of steam? I've heard that you pay so much a month . . . be wouldnt that be pointless over a period of time? How are they going to do this once the game is ready to d/l?

So does that mean its coming out well before november?

no one knows for sure. but now that some preload happened it looks like it will be sooner than later

damn every 3 quaters of the topics started r closed ! leave somthing open! i think its a new moderator

Silent_night said:
damn every 3 quaters of the topics started r closed ! leave somthing open! i think its a new moderator
New rules going into effect is the impetus behind a lot of it, I think.

1) We don't know if it will come out anytime... all release dates are pure speculation. The only "real" release date we have is from valve is it vaguely set as "summer"

2)

- I'm guessing you can buy the full game for $50 or whatever it will be with a CC or check like other online buying stuff

- I remember reading something about a subscription service where you pay valve $9.99 or something a month and you'll have access to any new games or Source ports (?) that come available... they havn't really finalized anything on this yet so we'll hafta wait and see

I love this preload thing soo much cuz i live in alaska and it either costs a shit laod of money to ship or wait a long time for the stores to get it in, so im happy that i can play it right as they unlock it

Yea steam sure would be handy in that kind of situation... long as you have broadband ;-D

EDIT: heh a mod is gonna delete that link soon you know :naughty:

EDIT EDIT: I believe they said they have encrypted it pretty heavily so in theory that program shouldn't work opening it

poseyjmac said:
2 reasons its important. 1 its proof that hl2 isn't going to be much longer in development.
I don't think it's proof of that at all. Textures and ambient sounds don't exactly require a whole lot of beta testing and debugging. Enemy AI, map layouts, physics, game mechanics: they can fiddle with that crap forever.

Aw, that program will install but wont run :( Stoopid thing

Ikerous said:
Aw, that program will install but wont run :( Stoopid thing

(removed)

Also, a lot of yous guys seem to have a crazy idea about encryption. The preload will be easy to extract with ******, but theres no EXE so its mostly meaningless unless you like looking at textures and listening to random sounds.

Steam does encrypt the files, but ***** can decrypt them.. the point being to play a game (usually) you need authorisation from Steam.

How do i preload, im in steam and i cant find anything?

NM, i found it

aeroripper said:
Yea steam sure would be handy in that kind of situation... long as you have broadband ;-D

EDIT: heh a mod is gonna delete that link soon you know :naughty:

EDIT EDIT: I believe they said they have encrypted it pretty heavily so in theory that program shouldn't work opening it

its not as if you can play it or anything its just to vheck out the files like any curoius person would :D :thumbs:

restart steam and you should see Half-Life 2 right click on it and start preloading

TOO BUSY...damnit...........stop downloading it and let me

SiR_Winsteh; That is completly unacceptable.

*Banned*

I am just gonna wait another month till the game is released cause i don't want to be spoiled by anything :(

Aw man :( I saw that comin... that sucks
How can someone with such a fantastic name (However my spelling of it is way better) be so cruel.

Icarus said:
SiR_Winsteh; That is completly unacceptable.

*Banned*

Bit harsh Icarus. Not like he's linking illegal software.

While looking into it, this was a second or third username, coming back after being banned on another one.

If you want to complain about a Mod's actions, PM either the Mod, or a different Mod, about it.

With all this talk about Valve hiring the creator of BT, I thought Steam would use p2p. As far as I can tell, this isn't the case, at least not for me. It's only downloading from one IP address.

Anyone care to enlighten me on this?

lazicsavo said:
Aww, but it's a forum, you gotta get exited. Gimme an H, gimme an A... and so on, I'm too lazy.

lol
at this rate when the game is released, ur gonna have a heart attack or something :p

CoreyGH said:
I don't think it's proof of that at all. Textures and ambient sounds don't exactly require a whole lot of beta testing and debugging. Enemy AI, map layouts, physics, game mechanics: they can fiddle with that crap forever.

yes but if you've been paying attention to valves comments they are close to sending a RC to vivendi. we are basically waiting on CS:S

No steam doesn't use p2p IIRC. I think its mostly client<>server model .......... although i don't know what role the guy from BT has done in it... maybe the downloading the games part of it

Mine won't load, says try in a few hours, but I don't really care, I'm just glad it will preload...meaning maybe HL2's release is sooner than I thought.

Maybe late September.

GREAT! mine let me start downloading, and ivce only tried a couple times! i feel like i cut in line mwahahaha

speaking of that, steam should then have a queue, like fileshack and other sites. wonderful concept. makes it so i dont have to stick around and keep clicking "try again"

why did they hire the guy that made BT??
With all this talk about Valve hiring the creator of BT, I thought Steam would use p2p. As far as I can tell, this isn't the case, at least not for me. It's only downloading from one IP address.

Anyone care to enlighten me on this?

QUESTION:
when hl2 is released, will we be able to choose between sp and mp or just sp when downloading? or is there onyl one way to download it

i think the BT guy did the RESUME DOWNLOAD part it checks the bytes and if something is missing then it resumes like in bitorrent

Baal said:
Mine won't load, says try in a few hours, but I don't really care, I'm just glad it will preload...meaning maybe HL2's release is sooner than I thought.

Maybe late September.
Just keep trying.. mine wouldnt load either. I waited and tried every 5-10 minutes and after about 30 or so minutes it started downloading.

B_MAN said:
QUESTION:
when hl2 is released, will we be able to choose between sp and mp or just sp when downloading? or is there onyl one way to download it

Their is only going to be two different releases: Normal version and Collector's Edition.

When Sierra fell-through, so did the multiple SKU idea.

xrdanielalan said:
Their is only going to be two different releases: Normal version and Collector's Edition.

When Sierra fell-through, so did the multiple SKU idea.
ahhhhhh i see thanks

Back