Prey at e3? - I am not a crackpot actual info.

ne-waller

Reaction score
Well it seems that 3d realms have given development of prey to the team behind Rune 2 - "Human heads". The game was never officially canned just put on hold as DNF gained momentum. forumers at 3d realms site have speculated with the help of hinting pm's from the developers that the mystery game human heads has been working on with the help of 3d realms is prey running on the doom 3 engine?!!

CNN article

The fact that CNN have published this information indicates confirmation by an inside source.

To add to the confusion the announcement that a new game would be unveiled soon it put as a p.s. at the bottom of a post on the 1st of april

For the full story you have to look at the front page and forums at the 3d realms site. (beware the "april fool???" thread is 26 pages, so i've tried to summarise it)

Earlier this year the prey.com url was sold to 3d realms (the original asking price was $850,000 according to some (sketchy) reports).

there's an interesting up to date timeline of prey here
which includes the hidden references in the Dead Man's Hand concept work by human heads.

any ways looks like we will see it at e3 :D

The pics are on the timeline at the bottom, the concept for the main guy from dead man's hand has the same buckle as the main guy from prey. it was removed in the full game though.

the buckle is quite detailed, its very unlikely to be a fluke imo

Interesting that 3D Realms are taking applications for level designers, especially those with UnrealEd and Doom 3 experience...

Pi Mu Rho said:
Interesting that 3D Realms are taking applications for level designers, especially those with UnrealEd and Doom 3 experience...

I wonder if they aren't using their own engine anymore, rotflmao 10th engine change? :LOL:

Quake 1
Quake 2
Unreal 2.0
Doom 3
Unreal 3

Was that the order for DNF?

No.

Quake 2.
Unreal.
Then they diverged from the Unreal codebase, adding their own renderer. Since then, we've not heard of any further changes.

DNF has stayed with the modified unreal codebase. reports earlier this year that it would use the doom 3 engine were due to a confusion by take two the publisher of DNF and prey - they probably got confused between the projects although that wasn't clear at the time.

prey was using its own engine untill it moved to doom 3 as far as we know.

Pi Mu Rho said:
No.

Quake 2.
Unreal.
Then they diverged from the Unreal codebase, adding their own renderer. Since then, we've not heard of any further changes.

wow! someone actually knows something....

Anyway, I wonder if human head is trying to integrate some of the old prey engine's interesting features into the doom 3 engine.

Pi Mu Rho said:
No.

Quake 2.
Unreal.

Eh, they can never make up their mind, btw my first response was suppose to be funny. ;(

DiSTuRbEd said:
Eh, they can never make up their mind, btw my first response was suppose to be funny. ;(

I find the fact that people still remember Prey even funnier.

When I saw these threads popping up I thought it was a joke. :| Insane.

Well...the 3D Realms forumers have officially shit themselves.

Those guys are so dedicated....some are even like "3DR said the they would finish DNF before they worried anymore about Prey"....it even took Broussard coming out and telling them that Human Head was working on it....they're out of control.

I'll be honest....I just want DNF. Prey would be a nice extra IMO.

I really have to wonder how Boussard & Co. are able to fund DNF development after all this time - either they have some "patron" that is just allowing them to burn through cash or they're up to some serious money-laundering activity.

Ilovebees started a fad. check prey.com wait a minute or so and you'll see a little thing to tease you, and then view source and convert the binary you have there and you get

"Hiding things in the source code is so 20th century. If you're looking for more info: PC Gamer. June issue. Worldwide debut."

edit- two teasers...one at http://www.prey.com/coming-soon.html, and other at http://www.prey.com/comingsoon.html

SFLUFAN said:
I really have to wonder how Boussard & Co. are able to fund DNF development after all this time - either they have some "patron" that is just allowing them to burn through cash or they're up to some serious money-laundering activity.

Dude.....I've been asking this for like the last 2 years. IMO, Broussard is f'ing crazy....I recall reading something about a day when all of his developers just walked out on him....they had to start over on DNF all together.

At the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if Max Payne was just paying thier bills. ****Shit, Stackhouse is on Best Damn****....I digress. I think 3DR is running a deep prostitution network....I here Joe will do anything for a 5 spot.

Jerry Stackhouse? There's a real winner there :p

Actually, according to that history that I just posted, it was the entire "Prey" team that walked out on him.

SFLUFAN said:
Jerry Stackhouse? There's a real winner there :p

I'm a Detroit guy, so I gotta give Stack some love every now and then. He did some good things here. Him and Rasheed Wallace are my boys. UNC made me some cash this year. Go D'Town.....again...I digress.

As far as that team that shit on him.....I think his attitude takes a toll on whatever project he's on. He's still hiring level designers for DNF, LOL. What's your estimate on when we'll see Prey?? I think as early as this time next year.

Probably - now that it's in the hands of someone other than 3dRealms that's a very good possibility.

SFLUFAN said:
Probably - now that it's in the hands of someone other than 3dRealms that's a very good possibility.

Definitly agreed. 3DR is pretty bad at timely releases.

Lt. Drebin said:
Dude.....I've been asking this for like the last 2 years.

Take Two paid 3D Realms a tidy sum a couple of years back - basically like an advance on DNF (it was either 6 or 12 million - I can't recall right now) plus their involvement with Max Payne netted them a chunk of cash.

Back