Prey to adopt "Half-Life" style of storytelling

SFLUFAN

Reaction score
If you get the chance, you should read the September issue of CGW for an absolutely superb preview of Prey. What I found very interesting was the decision to adopt the "Half-Life" style of storytelling with never leaving the first person perspective and interactive cutscenes.

I imaginate fanboys

"OMFG PREY IS HL RIP OFF ITs SUKZORX LOLOLOL!!!!!111oneone"

hope they've got a good writer on there, else the whole thing could fall apart... nice to see that they've been paying attention though

OMFG PREY IS HL RIP OFF ITs SUKZORX LOLOLOL!!!!!111oneone :p

Even with this news, Prey still hasn't shown me enough to convince me its not Doom3 all over again. Everything looks so similar that I am almost completely uninterested in this title. Of course, if Prey's story is more engrossing than Doom3's(and how in the world could it NOT be), then there's a slim chance I might change my tune...but we'll see.

I'm in love with Prey and I haven't even played it yet.
The fact that they've decided to go HL's way of story-telling, tells me it'll rock.
Don't care if it looks like Doom 3, cause I loved the game.

VictimOfScience said:
Even with this news, Prey still hasn't shown me enough to convince me its not Doom3 all over again. Everything looks so similar that I am almost completely uninterested in this title. Of course, if Prey's story is more engrossing than Doom3's(and how in the world could it NOT be), then there's a slim chance I might change my tune...but we'll see.
Did you see the clip where you get to fly the ship onto the hull of a bigger ship with Earth in the background? That alone > Doom 3.

Set on an alien spaceship? Seems like it might be a bit of a lonely ride.

VictimOfScience said:

did you even see the videos of it? it looks so completley different to doom3, the very fact you said that makes me completley dismiss you or your opinion altogether

Doppelgofer said:
did you even see the videos of it? it looks so completley different to doom3, the very fact you said that makes me completley dismiss you or your opinion altogether

I was just about to say that...

damn you! *shakes fists*

You mean nothing will be explained and you just end up running around shooting everything that comes at you before the game abruptly ends without a satisfying conclusion?

Cool.

I don't mind having the 1st person storytelling, as long as the character actually talks

I saw a video of prey where the main character was fighting aliens on a planet-like sphere, and there was astrerids coiming in and crashing, it was intense...I mean from what I remember the asteriods where making realistic holes in the planet, and everythign reacted nicely, like movement when an asteriod hit and all...

That alone is enough to buy the game

Doppelgofer said:

Good call. Its up to you anyway. I just wonder why it is so important for you to even bother state how my opinion doesn't matter to you. Is it not enough to say how good you think the game will be? No, I thought not. Instead, you would rather state how my opinion doesn't matter to you, not realizing that by even stating that you've proven that it does matter to you. Please think a bit before you post your juvenile, throwaway negativity not just in this forum, but in any forum you might frequent.

That said, I just found and viewed two videos of it in action and I must say that it looks MUCH better than Doom3 , thanks to the apparently pretty diverse gamplay. Javert is right, the spaceship flying takes the cake and if there is more of that type of thing in the final build, I might forget altogether how repetitive Doom3's gameplay was after a while(though many of the enemies and sounds here look startlingly familiar already) :|

I don't particularly care about Prey. Maybe if i see something i really like... i've been a victem of the hype machine way too often.

I think most of the decent FPS's to come out since Half Life can be said to adopt ideas from Half Life.

Prey looks really good to me. At first I didn't really like the look of the very early screenshots that were too Doom3-ish, but I still knew there were some great ideas in the works for the gameplay (portal technology, vehicles, alternating planes of reality, etc.). Then the vids came out and it does start to look a little bit more like an 'alien' ship rather than just a miltary sci-fi thing.

I think most of the decent FPS's to come out since Half Life can be said to adopt ideas from Half Life.
I hope we don´t have to start a discussion about HL beeing a DOOM³ ripoff storywise! ;)
Or that it got some of it´s ideas like big scripted events from Duke3d...oh well :rolleyes:

Syntaxn said:
I hope we don´t have to start a discussion about HL beeing a DOOM³ ripoff storywise! ;)
Or that it got some of it´s ideas like big scripted events from Duke3d...oh well :rolleyes:
lmao, no, doom 3 sucks.

Back