Price!??$20!!??

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
Ha? link to the guy that says Portal is 6 hours please.
You have to remember , Portal will be easily added with lots of maps by the users.
There's a link to it somewhere in this forum. He said he played an early alpha and it took him 5 hours and he guesses the fininshed version will be longer. Alot is probably trial and error though and by the end you'll have mastered it so you'd be able to fly through puzzles that gave you a hard time before (but that's expected with any puzzle game.

Pay for a tech demo thats almost like paying for the lost coast. If they do raise the price then i will definatly have to buy from steam retail rip you off.

Read the link. Sounds good.
Though it seems from the video they did add some sort of having portal in a portal. Anyway that's not the right topic.

How's Portal a tech demo? 5-7 hours of awesome puzzel mind-confusing game. Not to mention the maps all the people gonna make.

You have to calculate the time. Paychecks are paid by time, not by how many pieces of work they have done. Since the interval between HL2 and Ep:1 is similar to the interval between Ep:1 and Ep:2. The pay of making Ep:2, which is calculated by time, will be similar to that in Ep:1. So the price of Ep:2 will be similar to Ep:1. :p

Yes, time employees spent. There was a different team for Episode 2, a different team for Team Fortress 2, and a different team for Portal. All of them spent time working on their products, all of them need to be paid. It would be logical if the price of Episode 2 was increased.

Call me crazy, but I doubt that Valve is going to hike up their prices just because of one topic on a forum.

What's your deal? Not all of us are made out of money.

Oh, shut the **** up.

Pay for a tech demo thats almost like paying for the lost coast. If they do raise the price then i will definatly have to buy from steam retail rip you off.

Since when is Portal a tech demo? It's a multi-hour puzzle game.

A single thread can show many subtle thinkings of HL2 player. People won't reply for nothing, but they are showing their true mind. If Valve search for communities' opinion, a single thread is enough since extra thread on the same topic will be regarded as spamming.

think about it Valve make enough money so i really dont think that theu will put a price on it that people will not be willing to pay

You guys are so rich. The price of the game does not affect the gameplay. So cheaper is better, dumbass! If it costs $40-50, I won't buy it.

I agree with u 100%!! But since its a half life installment, so theres no way Im missing it (obviously I love half life its my favorite game series ever). But if they bump it up to 50 bucks they better release episode 2 on its own for like... $10 or $15 because I'm not paying 50 dollars thats bullshit! I really only care about episode 2. Especially since I get paid like less than $100 a week (on average). Which half of it has to go into debt and I'm saving up for a new guitar, I'm not exactly wiping my ass with $20 bills here. I'm not trying to talk bad about rich, successful people here, all I'm saying is, whats with this bull**** about people saying 'it should be $50'..think about others who love half life and don't have a lot of money..

:?

Most of the games are sold at 50-60$ so what are you talking about? I'm supposed to assume you only buy episodes and budget games? Nah , don't think so.

I'm not trying to talk bad about rich, successful people here, all I'm saying is, whats with this bull**** about people saying 'it should be $50'..think about others who love half life and don't have a lot of money..

We are not rich and successful. We just know when and where to spend our money. We can afford to spend fifty dollars because we have the ability to save up for it, even on minimum wage.

I have a brilliant idea! Why don't we make the games cost ONE DOLLAR! That way everybody can afford to play these titles, even if at the expense of the developer's income. Let's ignore the time and money invested into these products just so you can afford a slice of PC gaming which is an expensive sinkhole in its own right, even though that makes no god damn sense.

You want to save up for a new guitar? The save up for a new guitar. Nobody's forcing your hand. You can either learn the basics of commerce and fork over some dough or you can decide how you want to spend your money. It's called prioritizing. If you can't afford it, you don't get it. This sort of bullshit charity about "others who love Half-Life and don't have a lot of money" is pure, unadulterated stupidity.

:?

Most of the games are sold at 50-60$ so what are you talking about? I'm supposed to assume you only buy episodes and budget games? Nah , don't think so.

I never said that, I'm basically saying I'm not paying $50 for a game thats gonna take me 5 hours to beat. Occasionally I'll pick up a game, if I feel its worth it, and when I have some spare change. And yes, I rarely buy full priced games. The last game I bought was The Ship, which costed me a grand total of $14 dollars. But as I said, I've got a lot of money to pay off and $50 is a lot of money for me, and it irks me to see people who are saying it should not be $20 for all 3 games, but saying $50 or $60.

Why dont you STFU?! Disrespectful bastard...
Learn to respect an opinion.

Your bullshit "not everybody is made out of money" comment was so delusional that I had no other choice in my response.

Do not project some ****ed up notion of wealth on others just because you can't manage your spending.

But as I said, I've got a lot of money to pay off and $50 is a lot of money for me, and it irks me to see people who are saying it should not be $20 for all 3 GAMES, but saying $50 or $60.

Read highlight. You're being ridiculous.

I'm quite sure that Valve will offer you the option to buy Episode 2 standalone, if not upon release then somewhere down the line. But if Valve decides to charge more than $20 for all 3 games bundled together, and you can't afford it, then that's too bad. The industry doesn't operate on charity.

It's 50$ for 3 amazing games. Instead of 50$ for an avarge fps that last 5 hours as well.

TF2 is a MP game therefore it will last for ages , Portal will get dozens of maps.
Just saying that if you're looking for the best fps game , getting Ep2 will be worth it's price.

And BTW , i'm not at all sure it will be priced at 50$ , it may very well be for 20$ as well.

Your bullshit "not everybody is made out of money" is so delusional that I had no other choice in my response.

Do not project some ****ed up notion of wealth on others just because you can't manage your spending.

Atleast I explained my response. Why dont you go read what I said, maybe you'll understand it the 2nd+ time. The ignorance of people...

Don't trawl your petty differences over the forums - keep it clean, and keep the flaming to an absolute minimum. If you've something abusive to say, say it over pm. Both of you: warned.

I am inclined to agree with Absinthe over this issue mind.

Atleast I explained my response. Why dont you go read what I said, maybe you'll understand it the 2nd+ time. The ignorance of people...

No, I read it. Raziel made a comment about people wanting things for free, which is essentially what this is about. TF2 and Portal should have no additional costs. Your comment was a response to that.

I sincerely doubt that most people on this forum are "made out of money" as you so put it. The notion that if you can spend fifty dollars you're somehow rich holds such a severe disconnect with reality, especially in this particular situation in which - I repeat - you are getting three games for the average price of one.

EDIT: Well, now I'm getting volatile. Gonna cool off for a bit.

I fail to see how I said anything about a " ****ed up notion of wealth", he implied that on his own, I was simply stating that we should'nt pay for something we potentially dont want to pay for. I do not intend to make any flame war here.

...And then you have the gall to call us rich, as if we're some high-class billionaires that perpetuates the strain on your poor measly wallets. Bullshit, assholes. If you're so ****ing poor, then don't buy any games PERIOD.

Poor? Who said anything about us being poor. Just because we don't feel like blowing 50 bucks on something that should be 20 doesn't mean we're poor. We just think it's bullshit that people want the package to cost more money. I hate to use the term 'we' but ask any people on the '$20 side' of this arguement and I guarentee they will agree. If you want to give valve more money, send them a damned paypal donation or something and let everyone else pay $20

EP2: 4-6 hour game, worth about $10
Portals: Tech demo, should be free
TF2: Source version of TF, worth about $10-$15.

Thats $20-$25

Portal is a tech demo? So sure of that are you? Nope, because your wrong. It isn't a tech demo. And therefore won't be free.

EP2: 4-6 hour game, worth about $10

I payed £39.99 for Prey. And finished it in 6 hours, and it wasn't even quality gaming. Come back and tell me something like Episode 2 should be sold at £10.

You misunderstand me.

I don't want it to cost $50. But I would understand their decision to make it so, holding no ill will towards Valve becasue $50 for three games is fair.

And who are you to decide what price it should be? If we're going to go by the accepted average of game costs - $50 dollars per game - then it would only be logical for three games to cost more than $20.

If you can't afford it, then don't buy it. If you want to spend your money on something else, then don't buy it. Or at least just wait until the price is lowered. There are many games that I want to play, but I budget myself by saving up and aiming for ONE. Or if there are more pressing matters, then I don't buy anything at all.
At this moment, I am currently saving up for a new computer. As a result, I'm not buying any new movies, music, or games because my aim is for a new machine by the end of the year. It's possible I won't even be getting Valve's December release. But that's a sacrifice I make in order to get what I want.

ADDED: And what exactly has brought up this notion that "experimental game" is the same as "tech demo"? Portal is not a tech demo. Tech demos do not open up completely new and different gameplay paradigms. "Tech demo" is such a massive understatement as to what Portal is, and I can only think that people wish to term it as such in order to erroneously justify their cries for lower pricing. And since when was TF2 just a Source version of TFC? What the hell are you basing these claims off of?

What? Then don't damn well pay for it. Miss out.
I want HL2: ep.2, it's what I want to pay for and get for around $20, if I want the other two games, I'll pay for them. If they include the games with ep.2 then so much the merrier; all I'm saying is offer HL2:ep.2 for atleast around the same price as ep.1 (depending on the lenght of the game or whatever) stand alone IF we are to be charged more for all three of these games (portal, TF2, ep.2) for a higher price.

I'm fairly certain you'll be able to buy Episode 2 on it's lonesome for $20. With/without TF2...or Portal, depending on the package.

Pricing and business explained.

WRONG! Portal is NOT a tech demo. Its a puzzle game, a experiment from Valve. Showing off new GAMEPLAY AND TECHNOLLOGY that might be added in future games or even Half-Life universe. Remember Portal does take place somewhere in the Half-Life universe.

Lost Coast was something very different even tho i would pay some price for that as well if i had to. Just to experience what it was created for.

think about it Valve make enough money so i really don't think that theu will put a price on it that people will not be willing to pay

People are never willing to pay. Valve is a company that needs to pay for:

Bandwidth - http://steampowered.com/status/status.html
Management of servers - http://steampowered.com/status/content_servers.html
Making sure steam is up and running for all of these people - http://steampowered.com/status/game_stats.html
Making TFC2, HL2Ep2, HL2Ep3, Portal and plus the many things we don't know they are working on
Updating CS:S, DOD:S and any bugs that still need to be worked out in their games.
Improving Steam, building up on that.
Working with other companies. They now are a database for many games. Its not like...ok put your game on steam ill get 50% cool. Its much more complicated then that.
Paying employees, Valve HQ needs caring.

PS. oh man not to mention the insane amount of opportunities they have created and GAVE to modders.

Seriously this is the tip of the iceberg they have to do ALL THIS with no publisher SELF FUNDED. ALL THIS and they HAVE TO MAKE A PROFIT!

NO PROFIT = NO VALVE

Its really that simple.

I agree with u 100%!! But since its a half life installment, so there's no way I'm missing it (obviously I love half life its my favorite game series ever). But if they bump it up to 50 bucks they better release episode 2 on its own for like... $10 or $15 because I'm not paying 50 dollars that's bullshit! I really only care about episode 2. Especially since I get paid like less than $100 a week (on average). Which half of it has to go into debt and I'm saving up for a new guitar, I'm not exactly wiping my ass with $20 bills here. I'm not trying to talk bad about rich, successful people here, all I'm saying is, whats with this bull**** about people saying 'it should be $50'..think about others who love half life and don't have a lot of money..

Understandable but the package Valve is offering is not worth 20$ its worth 40+. I do agree they should offer a separate package or option for people who only want HL2ep2. Thing is that adds confusion and complications. It splits communities and a certain percentage of people who thought they wouldn't like the game and didn't want to risk buying it. There for they never play it and Valves action market gets smaller. On the other hand if it was a bundle they would have to get it and a good amount of people who didn't think they would like it now give it a try because...well they might as well and love it. I think that if this was bundled with TFC2 and Portal and retailed for more then 30$ Valve would definitely EVENTUALLY offer a separate option or rigth off the bat. If it was in the 30-$ range i don't see them making more options and i would understand 100%.

So...if:

Less then 30$ no other options
More then 30$ other options

Thats how i would see it working. Other wise i dont see it happening.

I never said that, I'm basically saying I'm not paying $50 for a game thats gonna take me 5 hours to beat. Occasionally I'll pick up a game, if I feel its worth it, and when I have some spare change. And yes, I rarely buy full priced games. The last game I bought was The Ship, which costed me a grand total of $14 dollars. But as I said, I've got a lot of money to pay off and $50 is a lot of money for me, and it irks me to see people who are saying it should not be $20 for all 3 games, but saying $50 or $60.

This is how i see it. I understand your concern but please try understand how i see this.

F.E.A.R - 10-12 hours to beat + MP = 50$
Half-Life Episode 1 - 4-6 hours + HL2DM + a bonus HLDM:Source = 20$
Day of Defeat Source - FULL MP game 20$
Half-Life 2 - 12-14 hours + HL2DM + CS:S = 50$
SINeps1 - 7-9 hours + ARENA = 20$

I can keep going but if you look at the big picture Valve is a super generous company. Way more the 99% that's out there if not the MOST generous company.

I don't regret paying for any of those games or the prices i payed. I believe all were "worth it". Thing is i cant see how people can argue Valve is over charging. When its a FACT that they aren't.

From what i think and from what i have gathered from passed pricing and just what i think the Valve business model for this will be i think that it will be priced from 30$-40$.

Retail Boxes

* Standard Edition — includes HL2 and CS:Source. Ships on six CDs, in one of three box-art packages (Gordon, Alyx or the G-Man). + Everyone got HL2DM free + Lost coast 50$
* Collector's Edition — includes Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source, a Half-Life 2 T-shirt and a Prima book sampler. Ships on a single DVD. + Everyone got HL2DM free + Lost coast 90$

The break down of these packages is simple here ill break down Valves Steam packages because they had 100% say on those back then.

1. Bronze -- $49.95
-- Half-Life 2* - 50$ for just HL2
-- Counter-Strike: Source FREE
-- Half-Life 2 Deathmatch + Lost Coast (Future releases) FREE

Reason: A full SP game these days between 12-14 hours is worth 50$ Retail
Reason for free game bundles: Explained on top in a little more depth but here it goes. To give opportunity for more communities and player bases.

2. Silver -- $59.95
-- Half-Life 2* 50$
-- Half-Life 1: Source* FREE
-- Day of Defeat: Source* 10$
-- Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam FREE
-- Half-Life 2 Deathmatch + Lost Coast (Future releases) FREE

Same as top: Promotes huge discount on future game DOD:S Lets new players to Half-Life universe play Original game with small updates or ALL ****ING ORIGINAL GAMES RELEASED BY VALVE - like HOLY SHIT i remember people complaining about these prices.

3. Gold -- $89.95
-- Half-Life 2* 50$
-- Half-Life 1: Source* FREE
-- Day of Defeat: Source* 10$
-- Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam FREE
-- Complete Half-Life 2 Strategy Guide from Prima Games 10$
-- 3 different Half-Life 2 posters
-- Half-Life Collector's box FREE
-- Half-Life 2 hat
-- Half-Life 2 postcard
-- Half-Life 2 stickers
-- Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD Extras and revenue for trip funding. 20$
-- Half-Life 2 Deathmatch + Lost Coast (Future releases)
-- Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

4. Half-Life 2 Episode 1 Package -- $19.99
-- Half-Life 2 Episode 1 20$
-- Half-Life 2 Deathmatch
-- Half-Life Deathmatch Source

Prediction of Half-Life 2 Episode 2 Package:

5. Half-Life 2 Episode 2 Package - $39.99
-- Half-Life 2 Episode 2 20$
-- Team Fortress 2 20$
-- Portal

So there you go. A little explanation on the simplest form of pricing and business strategy.

I can go deeper and more complicated but that was a very fast write up on how these things tend to work. I hope to open the eyes of at least some people who previously thought that its not worth more then 20$ paying for TFC2 HL2ep2 and Portal.

If i changed one persons mind about this my mission is accomplished.

:O

Raziel, make a book on your philosophies ;)
I'd love to read the pages of review comments on each of them as well.

$20 was way too much for Episode 1. Sorry, but 4 hours of gameplay isn't worth that much. They obviously realized this, probably due to sales figures for Episode 1.

Portal is not a full game. Including it within Episode 2 is a marketing strategy. They give you a small dose of gameplay and then charge you for the later installments. It's a good plan that benefits the customer and the seller, so there's no need to act all high and mighty.

Team Fortress 2 is where you're seeing the real value. This truly makes the pricetag worthwhile because in addition to a short bit of single player you also get a multiplayer game. Also note that they may include extra additions to TF2 in future episodes, as another marketing gimmick.

Finally, let's not forget the whole idea of digital distribution: to provide lower costs to the consumer with higher profits for the developer. This being said, you should expect lower than normal costs for games. When you buy a game through Steam there's almost no overhead, Valve takes all of that money.

With Episode 2 at a reasonable $20 price range, it shows that Valve is on the right track with regards to the price/content ratio. They know what they're doing and this will allow them to make more money, regardless of whatever misguided feelings that they "deserve" more the hardcore audience may have.

Out of curiosity, did Episode 1 "do well"? I never heard about it. I understand HL2 was a clear success financially but what about its sequel?

According to the NPD Group sales stats (that do not take into account Steam sales), HL2:Ep1 was the #2 selling PC game in the US in June 2006 and was the #5 selling PC game in the US for the week ending July 8, 2006.

I'd say the game is doing just fine.

Don't be so negative. Perhaps EP:2 is beyond 4 hours.
And no matter how it cost, I am going to buy it. I have stated why I support $30 for Ep:2 package. I would said $40 is the max. amount of money I could pay.

Raziel-Jcd, you calculations may NOT be fully accurate, even though they are correct literally. Counter-Strike: Source and other Source games are not free. The cost of them have slyly moved into, or become, the charge of Half-Life 2.

I predict that it will cost $20.

Remember the Silver Pack? $60 for all Valve games currently released and DoD: S. HL2 alone could fetch $60 at release, but Valve released it with all the others Source games AND the Back Catalog. When I saw that offer, I was like ZOMG I'VE GOT TO GET THIS.

So yes, Valve probably will do a $20.

Still seems plausible to me.

Portal is not a full game. Including it within Episode 2 is a marketing strategy. They give you a small dose of gameplay and then charge you for the later installments. It's a good plan that benefits the customer and the seller, so there's no need to act all high and mighty.

Oho? Include proof, please.

Apparently, some game-tester... uhh... testified that Portal is around 5-6 hours long.

So there you go.

I DONT want it to be 20$

I think this is where some people are getting the "you guys are made of money" idea. It's true that the package may be worth more, or Valve deserves more etc. but I don't think that many people actually WANT it cost more. Saying you would rather pay $50 than $20 gives people the impression that money isn't an issue to you. Most people would be very happy to pay only $20. If Valve would lose too much money from selling it for that much they wouldn't do it.

If it came out at $20, that would be a steal. I wouldn't be surprised if they charged more. I'd pay $30-40 for that package. Obviously they will be selling EP2, TF2 and portals as a package since they said they will be including those games. They probably will sell them individually (either right away or later) since a number of their games on steam are that way now. Example, CS:S and HL2 are sold separately on steam now.

If you go to steampowered.com you can see they are charging $20 for Ep1 and $20 for CS:S. That is an episode and a couple MP games.

They give you a small dose of gameplay and then charge you for the later installments.

There is going to be more than 1! :O :)

Back