Problem installing video drivers

VirusType2

Reaction score
I downloaded the ATI Catalyst version 6.6 earlier and before installing it, I did something I don't normally do. I thought I was taking a shortcut.. and you know what they say about shortcuts. Bad news.

So, I open "ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS" on Windows XP and click "Uninstall all ATI software", preparing to upgrade from 6.4 to 6.6 catalyst drivers.

Normally, I uninstall the control center, then uninstall the Display driver, then restart the computer. Finally, I install the newer driver.

OK, so now, no matter what version I try to install it asks me to install the normal video drivers first, but I can't find the ATI discs. In fact, I don't know if I have them anymore. It won't let me install my video card and me and my computer are going to have a bad time. :devil:

Any suggestions on what to do? I can't even go to ATI website since it sits in limbo when I go there, and never lets me download anything ever since I bought this video card brand new. It could be because I could never be bothered to register. I don't see why you have to register your hardware to download the drivers when you can download these drivers from just about any PC gaming site.

BOOOOOOO. Any suggestions?
I can hardly even use windows explorer without some kind of video acceleration. It seems like it isn't even using the on-board Xtreme Graphics 2, although it says it's installed. The simple graphics on this webpage are extremely difficult to navigate like this.

Thanks.

Hey, this is a message from VirusType2.

OK, I got everything working - I thought, I found the ATI install disc and installed the original drivers for my card for now.

Anyway, now when I boot up windows, the monitor is blank! I still get the "press f2 for setup" screen, and the windows loading screen, but everything after that it's like my monitor turned off.

How can I temporarily disable the video driver or something so I can see again. I just don't know what I can do without seeing what I'm doing.

I don't think I can even boot in safe mode since you have to click Run "msconfig" to do that don't you?

-"This is FireTeam2! I'm runnin blind here, What are my orders?"

I need some help ASAP please.
Thanks!
-VirusType2

If you hold down F8 while the computer boots you should be able to start in safe mode.

bosox188 said:
If you hold down F8 while the computer boots you should be able to start in safe mode.
Thank you so much, that's exactly what I needed! I had found right after my post though, and gave it a try and it worked, and the problem I was having was that Catalyst 6.6 didn't come with the video driver.. .UM I thought thats what it was.. . alas, no it's just an update for Control Center? I don't know, if not, then the file is just corrupt. But I had already deleted my old driver. Then since I didn't know what was wrong, I ended up breaking a ton of other things trying to fix it.

WHAT A ****ING NIGHTMARE. When computer savy people like us have problems this bad.. I mean, My dad hardly knows how to turn his computer on and off, for example. This is much of the reason why people buy consoles. Computers are complex.

I'm good now. I think. let me test a game (using Cat 6.1 ATM though)

Thanks for letting me use your PC to get help Sid!

Glad you got it fixed!

VirusType2 said:
It could be because I could never be bothered to register. I don't see why you have to register your hardware to download the drivers when you can download these drivers from just about any PC gaming site.
Registering won't matter. You can download drivers and access the site no matter what.

Asus said:
Glad you got it fixed!

Registering won't matter. You can download drivers and access the site no matter what.
Thanks. :D

The official ATI website has never allowed me to download anything for unknown reasons though.

So whats the deal with installing new Catalyst drivers? Whats the appropriate way to do so?

Do I uninstall the ATI display driver ever? Will it overwrite the old one? I don't think so, so I guess I have to make sure that the upadate I'm using includes the display driver before removing it?

I just updated my ATI drivers too but without uninstalling the old driver. Only reason to uninstall the older driver is if it will conflict, like switching video card brands or maybe going from Omega to regular ATI drivers.

They usually recommend you uninstall the older ones first in case of driver conflicts, but I only do it about half of the time and I've never had any problems when I don't uninstall the old ones beforehand.

General procedure I follow is:
1) download new catalysts and extract them somewhere
2) go to control panel, 'add/remove', uninstall 'ati display driver' (and the Cat. Control Centre..? can't remember... but since each new Catalyst release contains everything you need it's prolly best to uninstall all your old crap if this is the way you've decided to do it)
3) reboot - windows should 'find new hardware' automatically - click on that to interrupt the automatic driver install process and then manually search out the Catalysts you extracted earlier. Voila.

I think there's also a cat-uninstaller program up for download off the ATI site which does the job of uninstalling the old stuff.

I had the same problem when updating my Cat drivers, I couldn't get any form of video acceleration to work. I just got bored and reinstalled some older Omega drivers, no problems since.

Back