Promising DNF news straight from the source...

Reaction score
From this interview with George Broussard:
GB: You know, we've been so busy on Duke Forever for so long that we can't really see past just finishing this game, but you never can tell when it's done, you know, what you want to work on next.

1UP: Wait, wait. You guys are working on Duke Forever?

GB: [Laughs] And ever and ever.

1UP: And when's that due out again?

GB: [Laughs] I think it'll be out when pigs fly. But it's definitely going well now. Things are together; we're in full production. We're basically just pulling all the pieces together and making the game out of it. There's a lot that's finished. All the guns are finished. Most of the creatures are finished. And as I said, we're just basically pulling it all together and trying to make it fun. We've kind of got all these disassociated elements that make up a game, and you put them together and things happen. And then you just tweak it and polish it until it's fun, and that's kind of the phase we're in now, just trying to make something that is really fun to play and interesting.

1UP: Hey, you know, that's awesome. I have to give you respect because with so many people out there saying stuff, it would be very easy to just, you know, pack it in or whatnot, and you guys have been resolute of, "This is going to be an awesome game. Just chill out." And I think that's fantastic.

GB: Oh, well, thanks.
If that's true and all they are doing is "tweaking and polishing" then it might not be too far-fetched to imagine this hitting the streets this year! I, of course, will stay cautiously optimistic....

well if it's true I'll but down $50 that it wins a crapton of awards and such.

It better come out this year. If it doesn't, Chuck Norris will be like "**** this', steal the source code, and give George Broussard a roundhouse kick to the face.

PLEASe SHUT THE HELL UP GEORGE BROUSSARD YOU ASSHOLE.

These news tidbits have been going on since 1997. You've got to stop believing them.

How about putting out some conceptual artwork or models? That might satisfy fans long enough until the game comes out.

I think the whole DNF phenomenon is cool. It's one of the urban myths of the internet. DNF should never come out, even when it's done.

Shakermaker said:
I think the whole DNF phenomenon is cool. It's one of the urban myths of the internet. DNF should never come out, even when it's done.
Seriously, I will be sad if DNF ever recieves a public release....but I would like a leaked version to find it's way onto the net :naughty:

lol, It would be so cool if it was rated one of the best fps games ever when it finally comes out.

clarky003 said:
lol, It would be so cool if it was rated one of the best fps games ever when it finally comes out....but nobody bought it cuz they pirated it?

fixed...

Mr-Fusion said:

These news tidbits have been going on since 1997. You've got to stop believing them.
Actually, they killed all hype in and went into silence in 2001, because they knew they couldn't get it done. Only very recently have a few details trickled out on the forums, and then PCGamer saw it. And really, they are not bad guys and they certainly don't make bad games, in fact many of the best developers(Both people and companies) pretty much started through 3drealms/Apogee.

If they actually finish DNF, wouldn't the programmers be out of a job?

I can't imagine how the world will change once DNF is released. No more DNF jokes :(

I'll believe DNF is done when it's out on the shelf, otherwise any news regarding DNF production is pretty much irrelevant.

Wait.....so after a decade of being in development, they've finished the guns and most of the creatures.

Wow. And I thought I was a procrastinator.

Mr-Fusion said:

I agree this is bullshit, stop talking about it all together until you can actually show us something george. I dont wanna hear how its coming along nicely, since its been coming along nicely since 1997!!!

Cool news and good interview. Ill be waiting outside in the cold to get DNF. One game i cant wait for.

It'll suck huge ass oriental stylaz panda balls!
Look at Doom 3 and Quake 4.
Nothing but cheap scares and old school *cough crap cough* run and gun gameplay.

Agreed nether of those games are anything special like Half-Life 2, Deus Ex, F.E.A.R. But they all had there plus.

Doom 3 had really good atmosphere and Quake 4 had some really cool bosses.

Both games had some WOW scenes both were worth the buy. I wouldnt compare DHF to these games tho. These are remakes/finals for really used up ips. DNF is going to be like HL2 something insane. At least i hope so.

MiccyNarc said:
I can't imagine how the world will change once DNF is released. No more DNF jokes :(
Just use STALKER now.

I yearn for more pointless cheesy fps games. I'm serious. Too many try to be serious like Doom 3 but just fall apart. Duke is straight up cheese from the get go so you focus on nothing but blowing up aliens and perving on hot 3d chicks. Why isn't there more 3d chicks in games? The fraulines in return to castle wolfenstein were so timid and the ones in the grand theft auto games are all fat ass crack whores.

Duke has nice clean high class strippers.

There's no way DNF can suck.

Mr. Fusion has the same attitude as I do, minus the 3D chicks thing... I can do without that but...

It's true that there's too many games coming out that try to be serious, and end up shitting all over themselves.
We need more humorous action games.

what makes this anymore "promising" than all the other bullshit george brussard has been spitting out?:|

he's a cocky selfcentered asshole...with that said I'll forgive the man if the game actually ends up and justifies the development time.(but I seriously doubt it)

DNFID = duke nukem forever in development
no team so dysfunctional could make a good game so stop praying
Stalker on the other hand could still be a great without all the mad ideas that we were promised

heh.
i suppose this thread deserves the replies its getting...i mean from vaporware to "we're polishing up the game and making it fun" ??
obviously if the dev team wants to be taken seriously (can't imagine that happening until the game hits the shelves honestly) the least they could do is release some media...but then that might curse the game to live up to its title. :LOL:

I'm one of the guys that have been patiently waiting for DNF for, well, ever. I realize a 10year (++? :)) development cycle isn't very impressive, but when and if the game ever does come I will not harbor any ill feelings towards it. If DNF does come out, and it turns out to be a suitably cheesy and evolutionary sequel to Duke 3D (one of the more cheesy and evolutionary games in the fps genre) I will probably love it.

This semantics that GB utilizes does not raise my hopes for a release in the not too distant future though. Phrases like "we have all the guns ready and most of the enemies" means very little in modern games. There are just so many aspects of the game that needs to match the overall quality of the core gameplay that guns and enemies being more or less finished doesn't speak for the rest of the game at all.

Seeing as 3Drealms have been very good at pimping their Duke-IP (a dozen or more versions and spinoffs of the game for all conceivable platforms) plus the fact that they cashed majorly in on the max payne-success makes me believe that they really can pull this game off. They have the monies to fund their virtually endless development cycle. Add to this the possible success of Prey (which looks great so far) and 3Drealms are in good shape.

I don't think I would invest my hard earned cash in 3drealms stock, but I sure as heck will not write them or their game off my list of people/game to watch. Just to act a little like a duke-lune I'll quote a pretty fun song from a pretty cool amiga-demo from way back:

crazy song from crazy amiga demo said:
everybody's worried
about that atom bomb
no-one seems worried
about the day the duke shall come (you better)
get your rig in order (maybe)
he may be coming soon
he'll hit like an atom bomb
when he comes when he does (yeah)
he'll hit (yeah, yeah)
he'll hit (yeah, yeah)
when he comes

(the quote is from the top of my head, and yes, I did some editing... ;))

.bog.

I dont want ANY screenshots or Videos. Its been so long its best no media is released. I think they are thinking the same thing. It will be a bigger impact that way.

Sounds like the games going to be crap, they've done all the monsters and guns, now they just need to build a game around them? I dont know but that just sounds poor to me.

Tidbit: I'm typing this midway through my college career. That means I was TEN YEARS OLD when this game started development.

MiccyNarc said:
Me too... I can just picture writing "Ha! that will happen about the same time hell freezes over, and Duke Nukem Forever gets released" and then i'll suddenly be hit by a wall of realisation... I'm 59, I saw Satan wearing woolies 3 years ago and Duke Nukem 4 came out yesterday over the Cybernet. Course, there were tonnes of suicides by dedicated duke fans who's anticiapation level was through the roof, but nonetheless, I need new material.

There'll always be Team Fortress 2.

Everyone's at the point where they're thinking "GB is saying something about DNF? Aww, that's nice, back to playing a real game I guess."

Anyone draw parallels between DNF and Axl Rose's Chinese Democracy?

Both have been in creation for 10+ years, and both have endless 'Nearly done' stuff!

Back