Proves that Valve have no idea what it is exactly they are trying to fix..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anyone out there who has the stutter but has no harddrive access during it?

For me, both always occur at the exact same time.

Yes since this update Ive been having the annoying problem and it seems that its sound related slightly because along with the game stuttering, the sound stutters aswell. Strange thing is it affects even CSS so I am trying to find out what valve did in this update to try and put it back because quite frankly I will do with little autosave stutter and beginning of level stutter without this gameplay affecting stutter.

Flyingbig said:
If i remember right you have never experienced the stutter so why you even on these forums never mind adding to this post? Don't tell me, you have the stutter right? ;)
I don't have to have the problem to know what causes it.
I've probably read about 50 different threads about this so far. And people with all kinds of difference combo's are having it. Then, some people with slightly different combos have it fixed with a patch, and then many still have it.

It's elementary, my dear Watson.

HL2 turns my system into a 386 :/, at the moment,, and ive got 2 gig of Ram now.. (no change) but its defiantley resource access, compatability based problems.

perfectley functioning 2.8 ghz processor.. and 9600xt, 256mb aswell so should run great on top settings... it did for nearly a month. Bring back the old days.

about the harddrive access thing...

in my case when the stutter occurs, it's always in the exact same places, there is no hard drive access at all, and when I check my system task manager, the CPU usage history says the CPU was running at 0% during the stutter,, it's like a delay in the whole game engine or something....

at first I thought maybe it's some sort of validation point in the game or something,, but offline mode (and every other fix suggested on any board) didnt help

Flyingbig, now i dont mean to flame or troll or anything here, only my second post, and yes I have had and do have a studdering problem again.
Id like to kick it off by asking what your problem is Flyingbig? you rag out Valve saying they have no clue what they were doing, then when people say no, its been fixed in alot of cases, you go on and TELL them they never had the problem and are full of it, because your specific hardware combination is still producing the problem. How would you know they never experienced the problem? what kind of authority are you on it? clearly there are alot of issues you experience that no one else wants to.

Now that that's out of the way, <ill post my pc stats below> When I originally purchased the game, I had a slight studdering problem in speech, and sometimes in framerate aswell. The first patch intended to fix this did solve the problem for me. Recently I have had one of my RAM chips die, so im running on half as much RAM now, and have turned the options down respectively, but am now getting the Studder problem again! I've already finished the game so it doesnt particularly bother me, but my point is that obviously there's MULTIPLE causes to the ONE problem (yes this has been said before) and Valve's patches thus far have only fixed some of them.

Hopefully itll be fixed soon though, i want to play through the game again as soon as i sort out whats going on with my music (for some reason, I never had any music through the whole game)

Now lets all be happy and have fun on boxing day :p :cheers:

P4 3.4GHz 0.9 Micron
Abit AA8 3rd Eye mobo
Geforce 5750 PCX
1GB DDR2 RAM
200GB 7200rpm HDD
and a hella lotta power and cooling :)

Albrek said:
Flyingbig, now i dont mean to flame or troll or anything here, only my second post, and yes I have had and do have a studdering problem again.
Id like to kick it off by asking what your problem is Flyingbig? you rag out Valve saying they have no clue what they were doing, then when people say no, its been fixed in alot of cases, you go on and TELL them they never had the problem and are full of it, because your specific hardware combination is still producing the problem. How would you know they never experienced the problem? what kind of authority are you on it? clearly there are alot of issues you experience that no one else wants to.

Now that that's out of the way, <ill post my pc stats below> When I originally purchased the game, I had a slight studdering problem in speech, and sometimes in framerate aswell. The first patch intended to fix this did solve the problem for me. Recently I have had one of my RAM chips die, so im running on half as much RAM now, and have turned the options down respectively, but am now getting the Studder problem again! I've already finished the game so it doesnt particularly bother me, but my point is that obviously there's MULTIPLE causes to the ONE problem (yes this has been said before) and Valve's patches thus far have only fixed some of them.

Hopefully itll be fixed soon though, i want to play through the game again as soon as i sort out whats going on with my music (for some reason, I never had any music through the whole game)

Now lets all be happy and have fun on boxing day :p :cheers:

Yep i see where your coming from and to be honest as you said their are different combinations producing the stutter i and believe that gamers are experiencing different levels of the stutter and this could possibly be why valve are getting headaches trying to get to the bottom of it. The most severe stutter has not been solved and i consider my PC to be a decent rig representing the GF6800 range while this guy,

http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/

.. is representing the ATI X800 range and he flat out states that this patch done NOTHING for him. Put 1 and 1 together and i can honestly say the stutter has not been solved. Sure some gamers who might have been suffering from a slight stutter now and then have found something in the new patch but that doesn't help us ones experencing the more severe end of the problem. I admit as i have done that the patch improved the game performance so much that i was able to take out -heapsize 512000 and scrap the low priority (task manager) nonsense i was forced to use before hand but it has not solved the problem 100 percent so therefore in my eyes valves claims that the stutter was fixed was not backed up.

Merry Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back