PS3 price and XBOX 360 price

dream431ca

Reaction score
OK. Lets compare something that we have done so many times before...except this time, were going to take an XBOX 360 and give it all the things the PS3 has already built in and compare the price.

Playstation 3 Price: 599.99(60 gig version) (American dollars)

What do you get?

- 60 gig hard drive

- built in wireless adapter

- controller with built in rechargable battery

- USB cable to charge the controller

- Built in High Definition media disk player (Bluray)

- Free online gameplay

- Tons of media applications to play all types of media right out of the box

Next is the 360 (Pro version that was avaliable at launch) 399.99 (American)

What do you get?

- 20 Gig hard drive

- Built in DVD player

- Wireless controller with 2 alkaline batteries

- Ethernet cable input for online play

Now lets say your the guy who wants a HD disk player, wireless gameplay, rechargable controllers and online play for the XBOX 360 (basically all the stuff that already comes with the PS3), here's what you will have to spend (all prices are american):

Rechargable battery pack - 11.99

wireless intenet adapter - 99.99

HD-DVD player - 199.99

plug and player charge kit - 19.99

XBOX live gold for 1 year - 49.99

All those accessories will add up to - 381.95

Making your total for your XBOX 360 go up to 781.94 (not including taxes)

You would have to pay 800 dollars american if you wanted to get standard features on the PS3 on your 360.

People who were complaining the PS3 costs to much can go fist themselves.

And I take it your one of the people that paid $600 plus for a PS3?

Having a 360 myself, I see the PS3 being a better value for what you get. The wireless and blu-ray, aswell as upgradable hard drive, are very huge pluses for the PS3 and it was a mistake for Microsoft not to include wireless. I mean come on, the PSP and DS both have WiFi and there is NO reason not to include it in the 360. And charging $180 for a proprietary 120GB hard drive is just plain insane.

I also agree with dream431ca's last sentence in the first post.

well, who really wants the HD-DVD player anyways
you dont need the rechargable battery pack when you buy the play and charge kit
the only thing i like better about the ps3 is the built in wireless card

What I've always wondered is will upgrading the hard drive really make that much of a difference? Do we really need a 60 GB hard drive for a console?

It all depends on if you're an HD or wireless nut. I have an SDTV and I'm fine with an ethernet cable running from the wall behind my entertainment center to my 360. I've only bought a VGA cable recently for $20 so I can play HD on my monitor.

How exactly do the PS3 controllers recharge? I'm just curious.

They both cost too much. That's why I don't have either. I don't think they are a bad deal, but it's just not worth it TO ME.

Here is what happens. I spend several hundred dollars for a console and what does it do. Nothing. nothing without their expensive games. So I pay several hundred dollars more for a few games that for the most part, aren't system sellers to begin with.

No thanks, I'm not playing thier game. I'm done with consoles I guess.

I have thousands of games, so I'm not desperate enough to pay $60 for 1 game. They can go fist themselves. (in the ass and vagina BTW)

Consoles should go die.

How exactly do the PS3 controllers recharge? I'm just curious.

Built-in Li-Ion battery in the controller and it comes with a USB cable. So it works exactly like the play and charge kit for the 360.

I seem to remember a couple threads like this here before and on other websites. :\
I would think the Xbox360 gets its 'value' through the choices. Someone may only want the basic console with single player HD gaming. Or they may want to include any number of things such as multi-player through Live and HD-DVD playback etc. There are packages and add-ons to get the combo you want.

If you want it all, the PS3 obviously offers the better hardware/price ratio. But there are other reasons people pick their console other than that (games? budget?).

Funny, here in Sweden you can get a 360 premium for around 320 euro, whereas a PS3 here costs 650.. So basically, the PS3 costs more than double the 360.

BTW VirusType2, thousands of games? Yeah right. Proof or it didn't happen.

Heck, I don't think one of the biggest abandonware sites on the internet even has over 1,000 games.

Funny, here in Sweden you can get a 360 premium for around 320 euro, whereas a PS3 here costs 650.. So basically, the PS3 costs more than double the 360.

BTW VirusType2, thousands of games? Yeah right. Proof or it didn't happen.

Heck, I don't think one of the biggest abandonware sites on the internet even has over 1,000 games.

I've got like 20,000 to 30,000. I shouldn't have to prove it, but I'll screenshot some folders for you in your PM box.

I've got like 20,000 to 30,000. I shouldn't have to prove it, but I'll screenshot some folders for you in your PM box.
Yes you should because I strongly doubt that 20,000 unique(I.e. not ports etc) commercial video/computergames exist..:sleep:

I'm not even sure that I exist. Nothing is what it seems. :rolling:

I took some screenshots and ultra 7zipped it, but I need somewhere to upload it. Must be free, no registration, accept files (not just images)

I'll stick with my PC until i get a cash windfall :D

Okay the only major problem with this is I've still yet to actually see anything Blue-ray has done that actually looks significantly more impressive than a good quality upscaling conventional DVD player, like on the 360. Considering that we watched a clip running at 1080, then an identical full DVD quality clip upscaled, the overall difference is utterly underwhelming. Watching Blueray players at the local Panasonic and Sony shops, you can still spot artifacts present.

So based on personal experiance, Blueray is not in anyway at all currently worth buying. The same goes for HD-DVD.

OK. Lets compare something that we have done so many times before...except this time, were going to take an XBOX 360 and give it all the things the PS3 has already built in and compare the price.

Playstation 3 Price: 599.99(60 gig version) (American dollars)

What do you get?

- 60 gig hard drive

- built in wireless adapter

- controller with built in rechargable battery

- USB cable to charge the controller

- Built in High Definition media disk player (Bluray)

- Free online gameplay

- Tons of media applications to play all types of media right out of the box

Next is the 360 (Pro version that was avaliable at launch) 399.99 (American)

What do you get?

- 20 Gig hard drive

- Built in DVD player

- Wireless controller with 2 alkaline batteries

- Ethernet cable input for online play

Now lets say your the guy who wants a HD disk player, wireless gameplay, rechargable controllers and online play for the XBOX 360 (basically all the stuff that already comes with the PS3), here's what you will have to spend (all prices are american):

Rechargable battery pack - 11.99

wireless intenet adapter - 99.99

HD-DVD player - 199.99

plug and player charge kit - 19.99

XBOX live gold for 1 year - 49.99

All those accessories will add up to - 381.95

Making your total for your XBOX 360 go up to 781.94 (not including taxes)

You would have to pay 800 dollars american if you wanted to get standard features on the PS3 on your 360.

People who were complaining the PS3 costs to much can go fist themselves.

Sounds like SOMEONE is trying to justify paying $600 for a failing console

And I've yet to find someone who's "the guy who wants a HD disk player"

My Wii and DS have got me hooked right now, but between the 360/PS3 I have finally decided officially that I will be getting a PS3. The franchises that I have always been terribly fond of are already in development and since the games are the biggest draw for a particular console, this is the only choice. My PC inevitably gets upgraded, so the vast majority of games that may release for the 360 will be on the PC too, so the PS3 just makes more sense for me. The Blu-ray doesn't hurt either (once some movies that I actually care about release :p).

So basically what he's saying is that xbox360 and ps3 both fail, wii ftw.

Also, substract $199,99 from the x360. The blueray is useless in the ps3, so x360 rules for having the option not to waste money on it.

So basically what he's saying is that xbox360 and ps3 both fail, wii ftw.

Also, substract $199,99 from the x360. The blueray is useless in the ps3, so x360 rules for having the option not to waste money on it.

No it doesn't compression sucks, the fact that companies still need to use compression at all sucks.

No it doesn't compression sucks, the fact that companies still need to use compression at all sucks.

I don't know how a Blu Ray drive will make a difference though, since I have 200GB of hard drive space, and a 500 GB hard drive ready to install, and every PC game that I'm aware of still uses compression. 500GB > 25 or 50GB or whatever Blu Ray uses.

You can take all the textures in Oblivion, and uncompress them, and it uses more space on the HDD - or disc in this case, but it also requires more processing power to render them. I don't know if the PS3 could handle that, so I doubt they did this for Oblivion PS3. So therefore, it doesn't matter if they can use uncompressed data, because it will severely hurt the game performance.

This is a game from 2006, not the latest in graphics, so I doubt they will be able to use uncompressed image data, considering they will probably create more demanding games.

It would be interesting to read the scoop on this.

EDIT:
Oh, and also, uncompressed textures use at least double the RAM, and that is something the PS3 doesn't have enough of in the first place (so I hear), so in my humble non-expert but semi-educated opinion, there is no way in hell that the PS3 can pull off commercial 3D games with uncompressed textures, unless the game uses quite small 3D areas.

Maybe they aim to stream it as you say Kyo, but I would be skeptical. Is the Blu Ray drive fast enough at only 1x? Is the Ram fast enough? Is there dedicated area of RAM not used by the game that can swap streaming textures?

I'm sure we will find out sooner or later, when more games come out. Unless someone has a technical run-down to read that can shed some light.

Hmmmm, who gives a shit. I enjoy playing my 360 way more than my PS3. My choice has been made. You like PS3 over 360. Hopfully you enjoy it.

If you don't have a 1080p TV, here is what you can do. What I might do one day, when all the fuss is over, and games and systems are a little cheaper.

You wait until MS puts the cooler, cheaper chips in them.(it was said it would be sometime this year) Then they can reduce the price of the 360's finally (boy was I off on when they would lower the price) and you buy the core system. Who knows what the price will be when they lower the price, but they will probably lower it slowly over time.

+It comes with a wired USB controller you can use for your PC. Sold separately it's a $40 controller - the best controller ever made many claim. I couldn't live without it. It's excellent for most non-mouse/KB games. It's perfect for racing games in particular because it's the only controller that I have seen for the PC with analog triggers. You use them like a gas and brake pedal.

Most PC controllers have lame triggers like the PS2/PS3, which are all but unusable for a gas/brake pedal in a racing game. With it, when you press the gas or brake, its all or nothing, making you spin and lock up brakes.

+For saving your games, you will need a memory card (You can get a used one to save some money. It's not a bad thing to have, since you can plug it into kiosks and get free stuff like additional cars in PGR3), then you buy a $10 aftermarket cord, or by this time you can quite possibly buy the large hard drive for cheaper than it is now. At least you have a bigger hard drive than the premium systems come with, which kind of warrants the higher price of buying it separately.

+ You buy the VGA cord so you can plug it into a PC monitor at 1080p. This is one huge advantage of the 360 IMO. On a monitor, you know the difference playing a game in high resolution can make. If you only have one monitor you just buy a splitter from Monoprice.com or somewhere so you can plug the 360 and your PC into the same monitor (can't use both at once like this though)

-you can do the same thing with the higher end 360 systems, you will need a PC wireless kit from Microsoft so you can use the 360 wireless controller and other peripherals like the 360 steering wheel, cameras, or what-have you on your PC. It's $20 or less for the PC wireless adapter.

The premium 360 comes with a hard drive so you won't need to buy the wire kit to save games to your PC. The cool thing about the wireless controller, besides it not having a cord is that to use it for your PC and 360, you won't have to swap the plug. My PC has a front USB port though, so it's not a big ordeal.

So there you have something to consider, but the controller thing is a good way to get a controller for your PC if you don't have one, or want a better one. And a good way of figuring $40 to $50 off the price of the console, making it a better purchase.

Thats it. Now you haven't paid shit for some serious power, and you have access to all of the 360 games library, along with a new controller for your PC.

If you don't like this idea, don't use it. I don't care. This is my long term strategy. Eventually, I'll be wanting to play some of the great games that came out for the system, and by then, they will be platinum hits, with a lower price.

I just like getting a good deal, it makes me feel like I'm sticking it to the big corps, and I save money.

VirusType, you are aware they've already lowered the price of the 360 once, right?
Over here in Sweden the 360 Premium is 25% cheaper than it was at release, that's alot imo.

VirusType, you are aware they've already lowered the price of the 360 once, right?
Over here in Sweden the 360 Premium is 25% cheaper than it was at release, that's alot imo.

oryly? Nice. Not here. Not yet. 25% of 400, yeah, that's a lot. thats like $100 off. Nice. Of course, in Japan, it's probably even cheaper. That doesn't help me though. :(

Yeah, US economy seems to really be going down atleast currencywise, I remember during the late 90s, 1 USD was around 10 SEK(Swedish Kronor), now it's around 6.5-6.7, that's quite a difference.

Sounds like SOMEONE is trying to justify paying $600 for a failing console

And I've yet to find someone who's "the guy who wants a HD disk player"

I demand statistics on this "failing console" comment. Obviously the wii is winning, since it's pretty much a 14-year-old's weekly paycheck. But I would like to see a the report that declares ps3 a financial failure. And not some anime-oriented blog. Go!

I demand statistics on this "failing console" comment. Obviously the wii is winning, since it's pretty much a 14-year-old's weekly paycheck. But I would like to see a the report that declares ps3 a financial failure. And not some anime-oriented blog. Go!

You won't get a link outa me, this is the internet, ****pickle

Gonna go play my 360 (a.k.a= Jesus in console form)

Back