PS3 root key found, sony is going to shit brick

Whoopsie.

I don't see how ceasing the distribution of the code by Geohot will stop it from going around, since it's already on the Internet in numerous places.

It's probably just a "**** WE'RE SCREWED.......TAKE IT OUT ON THE ASSHOLE THAT STARTED IT" move. I don't see the problem with that :p

Part of me likes it happening, now we can do what we want with what we bought.

At the same time, it sucks. The effect this will have on the games industry is obvious. What's more worrying, is if Sony decide the only way to counter it truly is to release new hardware. ''Here, have a new PS3!...oh, that'll be £250 AGAIN...which you will have to buy otherwise all your PS3 games wont work...''

I can see us ultimately having to pay for Sony's greed and these idiots fiddling around.

I dont really see what effect this will have on the game industry, piracy has been around for a while. Also, releasing new hardware wouldnt make that much sense just to combat this. Because none of your old games would work and nobody would buy a new playstation if it didn't have some serious new features that could compete with the next Xbox for example.

Let's say I acquire a 2tb portable HDD or enclosure for a couple tb drives. Can I plug it in via usb and download and play... any PS3/PSX game ever just by plugging it in? Moreover, could I play the games online - or go on the PS Network at all (without being banned, or the net bricking in the 1'st place) ?

I don't plan to do this but if true it would be fiscally damning to Sony and it's developers. It could mean loss of exclusives and worse yet, multiplatform devs/publishers outright avoiding PS3.

this whole thing has turned into a pretty big ouch.

Well, to be fair, they'll probably fix it in the next wave of hardware.. but I think they've hit their hardware sales peak on it and people will go for aftermarket (the same people who buy bootleg games anyways)

In the video (last page) he said it does not enable pirated games.

It surprises me too if it's true. Why don't the codes work for games but for every other program ever? Unless there are different codes for apps and games? But if that's the case I'm sure it wouldn't take long for someone else to find the game code. He's probably just saying that and claiming ignorance.

A Professor at Carnegie Mellon University apparently supports GeoHot and is mirroring the files. He goes on to throw lulz at Sony for their attempt at silencing the hackers. GG Sony. Hello PS3.

All this sympathy or support for law-breakers is disturbing. That GeoHot guy is nice and smart but he violated a bunch of laws. He is not a paladin of free software or s**t like that.
There are laws in our society. You may like them or not, but if you break the law you have to be prosecuted and punished. In civil societies it's just as simple as that.

The GeoHot guy is the guy who figured out the key, right? What law did he violate?

He violated the law of Don't-Piss-Off-Companies-With-Armies-of-Government-Lobbyists.

All this sympathy or support for law-breakers is disturbing. That GeoHot guy is nice and smart but he violated a bunch of laws. He is not a paladin of free software or s**t like that.
There are laws in our society. You may like them or not, but if you break the law you have to be prosecuted and punished. In civil societies it's just as simple as that.
He claims all he has done is allowed people to install the Operating System of choice. Which is exactly what 'jailbreaking' the iPhone was. It was determined to be legal after a court battle.

Sony advertised the ability originally to run different OSes on your PS3 and then they take it away because they are assholes. So someone is motivated to allow that again and once they are successful Sony sues.

Then you have all the people come here who think it's the worst thing ever for someone to be able to run software they want (like originally advertised) on a machine they own.

The concept is: do you really own the things you buy. If you can't legally put your own operating system on a computer/console, do you really own it? There is no licensing agreement, like with software.

We will find out in court. I think Sony will lose.

To answer the question of pirating, and why it won't work on his modified firmware:

What he did is allow people to sign their own programs, and thus install them. This is different from playing a pirated game, which will require a loader to run, and a modified file from the game. It has already been done, but geoholt was smart not to be the one to do it. He enabled everything to unlock the machine, but not enable piracy. Smart move.

Thanks for that thoughtful explanation, A2597 - interesting indeed duder

Well, now it's completely destroyed.

wasn't mw2 already kinda destroyed tbh =/

jk :p

the hack may have led to this becoming more rampant but all the complaints from that article have been there since the game launched afaik

Now that is some casual shit right there.

Isn't Demon's Souls an always-online game, or is that feature toggleable?

I just started playing that, I am NOT letting hackfags into my game, can you set black stones to friends only or something

Sony's Kevin Butler, a fictional character portrayed by actor Jerry Lambert in the "It Only Does Everything" advertising campaign for the PlayStation 3, today accidentally retweeted the USB dongle ID generator key, also used for PS3 security circumvention.
After someone tweeted to him the PS3 key (a sequence of hexadecimal alphanumerics), Kevin Butler responds "Lemme guess... you sank my Battleship?"

I'm not going to post the article here on HL2.net, because Sony threatens to sue anyone publishing the key, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

This is only for new games and official software right? I guess people could still use the root key to make homebrew programs? Also I'm sure people will find ways around the ID generator.

Sony is enraged.

Sony is threatening to sue anybody posting or “distributing” the first full-fledged jailbreak code for the 4-year-old PlayStation 3 gaming console.

What’s more, the company is demanding that a federal judge order Google to surrender the IP addresses and other identifying information (PDF) of those who have viewed or commented about the jailbreak video on a private YouTube page. The game maker is also demanding that Twitter provide the identities of a host of hackers who first unveiled a limited version of the hack in December.

Sony versus the internet. This should be fun.

Bringing Google to court is pretty damn close to Vs the internet. No I wouldn't say that it's not more than that.

Back