PS3: To good to be true?

Operation Ivy

Reaction score
Hey i was looking for a PS3 for my brother for Christmas and had a quick question.

Looking on ebay there are lots of ps3's not working but just missing the hard drive, so would i be able to buy a hard drive for ps3 and simply install it into the ps3 missing the hard drive and wa la working ps3?

Personally i think that they have busted the PS3 and have kept the Hard Drive as that can still be useful. I would strongly recommend against buying broken PS3's, unless you know exactly what the fault is and you can repair it. There are a lot of scams around this time especially on consoles so be careful.

Yeah, scams ftl. Ebay will be FILLED to the brim the next couple of months. Best off either finding someone local to buy from, or get new.

Damn, looks like ill have to suck it up and get a working one lol. Thxs for the quick responses guys

Another option is to go to a local game story. Here in the UK we have retail stores called 'GAME' and they usually sell second hand consoles people sell back to the shop. The prices have around about 50 quid knocked off, and you know the shop has checked them over for full functionality. So that's another option. Those ebay ones are really dodgy, not worth the risk in my opinion.

There is/was a huge thread in the [H]ard Forum about this guy who bought "broken" PS3s for like $100-150. It turned that none of them were broken but rather had the switch in the back set to off, or the video settings needed to be reseted somehow at startup. That thread really took off and lots of people made off with perfectly functioning PS3s for waay waay less than the standard price.

I only mention that because there is still a probability that the PS3 might actually be working, but me, I wouldn't ever take a risk like that.

But if they removed the hard drive, they are technically inclined, not a stupid parent or child who doesn't know how to turn it on.

They could just hold it upside down and shake really hard until the HDD comes out.

Back