Question about the advisors

Reaction score
Didn't they basically learn everything from Eli by sucking out his brains? I think they mentioned that somewhere, and that's how they learn. So do they basically know where every single resistance team is now? And about THEIR portal tech, and the boat, and etc?

Yep. They know about the resistance, and the rocket, and the Borealis now.

One one hand, I still feel that the whole "sucking brains out = sucking knowledge out" thing is lame and stupid. On the other hand, it seems like a good way to introduce a new major threat after the superportal got closed.

I personally think that's cool and not stupid because it makes Valve make more Half Life games ^_^

I'd rather go with the idea that, as they are psychic, they were able to extract the information simply because they were in close proximity. Much better.

I'd rather go with the idea that, as they are psychic, they were able to extract the information simply because they were in close proximity. Much better.
Well tbh while this is still not a plot development I'd like, it still would maked much more sense than eating brains to get info. The advisors have a demonstrable telekenetic ability, which could maybe be extrapolated to mean that they also are telepathic to some degree.

There is no logical link between eating brains and obtaining knowledge from them however.

Wow, that pic is brutal. There's something about the arms around him and his mouth hanging open...

Wow. That pic is freaky seeing it up close and still like that.

I'm thinking it's more along the lines that Samon outlines. It's possible that our first contact with the advisors in Ep2, the pangs we get as we approach the building are actually it probing our minds.

Wouldn't the combine know about the g-man, then, if they acquired his knowledge?

Never thought of it that way D:

I never thought they did, I'm probably missing something :/

In HL1 the GMan sets in motion a course of events that result in you essentialy pacifying the border world of Xen. At this point the GMan says that 'we' are in control now, he definately doesn't mean him and Freeman since Gordon's not in control of much at that point, let alone Xen. SO it's 'we' who? The only obvious benefits that we see are the Combine moving in on earth and the Vortigaunts gaining their freedom. The Vort's were supposedly under the control of the Nihilanth and so therefor it seems unlikely that they hired the GMan, if indeed anyone did at that point.
Regardless of these musings, he gets about and Breen explicitly mentions that in HL2 your services are out to tender, knowing this surely must mean that they are aware of the GMan even if not specificaly.

The advisors don't "suck out your brains", they couple to your brain stem and extract information in that matter. You can even see that the appendage they use to do this has no sort of sucking apparatus during the first encounter with one in the barn:

Advisor_ep2.jpg

GiaOmerta's screenshot also supports this, as Eli was not struck in the back of the head, but in the base of the neck.

It really is a pretty lame idea to be honest, it feels very Starship Troopers-esque to me, and while that is an awesome movie, the Brainbug always annoyed me for the same reason. Sucking brain-goo does not make you learn stuff. Now, reading your mind or attaching to your brain stem is marginally more clever but it's still a bit of a lame idea...

I'm gonna go with the theory that because advisors mess with your head without being in close proximity to you, that they gain knowledge from people telepathically. The brain/spine stabbing thing may just be their technique of choice for killing people after they have the info they need. Or maybe they gain sustinence of nutrition for the brain stem. Really, Valve probably added it in because it's more visually impacting than the advisors simply telepathically draining someone's brain.

I'm gonna go with the theory that because advisors mess with your head without being in close proximity to you, that they gain knowledge from people telepathically. The brain/spine stabbing thing may just be their technique of choice for killing people after they have the info they need. Or maybe they gain sustinence of nutrition for the brain stem. Really, Valve probably added it in because it's more visually impacting than the advisors simply telepathically draining someone's brain.

I doubt it. If that were true, why would the first advisor stab the dead resistance member in the barn? If they were able to gain knowledge telepathically, I'm sure that the advisor would have realized that the guy was already dead. They also wouldn't have needed to come so close to the While Forest Base and risk being attacked as they were.

The advisor that killed Eli also remained "probing him" for a few moments. If this method was for killing, there is no way it would take that long to kill someone by stabbing their neck. As you could see, it would have been in the advisor's best interest to kill everyone as quickly as possible. That is obviously not the sole purpose for stabbing.

I doubt it. If that were true, why would the first advisor stab the dead resistance member in the barn? If they were able to gain knowledge telepathically, I'm sure that the advisor would have realized that the guy was already dead. They also wouldn't have needed to come so close to the While Forest Base and risk being attacked as they were.

Yeah, I know that part doesn't fit my theory; but Valve had to show the Advisor stabbing someone somehow. That way it built the feeling of dread in the anticipation leading up to the last Advisor...

...stabbing Eli Vance

I don't know why everyone is trying to sidestep what we already know. Like it or not... STABBY TONGUE THING GOES IN, SMARTS COME OUT!

I don't know why everyone is trying to sidestep what we already know. Like it or not... STABBY TONGUE THING GOES IN, SMARTS COME OUT!

Because the idea of having your memories sucked out of the back of your brain by a penis-like appendage is stupid. :D

Because the idea of having your memories sucked out of the back of your brain by a penis-like appendage is stupid. :D

It's far more atrocious than just simply reading minds to get information. It's definitely memorable too. The whole event sets Episode 3 in motion quite nicely.

im happy with 'joins with brain to learn stuff' rather than 'sucks out brains and learns stuff nom nom nom'

I don't know why everyone is treating this as fact when the only evidence for it is 'I bet they ripped off Starship Troopers'. Could just be that Advisors feed on brains...?

It was mentioned in the official guide, although that still isn't a 100% reliable source. I'll believe it when it comes out of the mouth of a Valve employee.

I like to go with the idea that the appendage is used to couple with objects to gain information and that the appendage that the advisors have aren't specifically designed to feed off of human brains, or brains in general for that matter. I believe the tip has a sensory tissue that can read off of bioelectricity. Why do they usually go straight for human brains/brain stems? Possibly because going there would be a lot faster to getting the information they need.

okay, we know that the advisors actually suck with those things (the dead guy and the barrel gets shriveled.
From that point there are multiple options:
-They feed on whatever it is they suck out.
-They aquire knowledge this way.

The Advisor in the barn was a bit groggy from being woken up like that, so he went for the first thing in range: the barrel. After noticing that didn't do anything, he went for the dead guy. When that didn't work, Alyx and Gordon.
It's possible that that barrel actually contained life juices for the advisor and if he's actually sucking life juices, the dead guy would probably provide that too.
If he sucks knowledge, the barrel and the dead guy were just mistakes from being woken up.

I agree with the whole brain stem thing, but still it's hard to say wether he sucks life or information.

Do you guys really think the Valve team sits down and does the hard science on concepts like "eat brain = gain knowledge"? Do you think anything so far has been based on science and not just "sciency-sounding" words? I'll bet they just do things that make sense from a narrative point of view, like all of the obvious foreshadowing they do to the knowledge sucking event, the fact that in instinctive symbology brain = knowledge, and that the Advisors are called ADVISORS a.k.a someone that gathers and imparts knowledge. How much more obvious can one get? That's their modus operandi - make the things they want you to know blatantly obvious and not waste time with useless information. Could it be any more clear that it is their intention for us to assume knowledge sucking occured? And what is the real problem with it? The mechanism for it is not understood and will probably not be explained, like every other technology we allow without question - so find a knowledge-sucking concept you're comfortable with and that satisfies the bold claims that you fully understand brain anatomy and mechanics and that involves a tentacly appendage and live with it.

I doubt it. If that were true, why would the first advisor stab the dead resistance member in the barn?

Well you can't exactly gain knowledge from a dead person anyway due to the fact that Neurons start to die from Oxygen deprivation.

I would like to think that the brain (and other objects) offer properties that the Advisors can syphon, to enhance their abilities. Much in the way that the larvae extract enhance the vorts ability to heal Alyx.

The ADvisor didn't shivel up the dead resistance member and barrel by sucking, it crushed them using the same tk that it uses to fling you about.
I'd already considered the fact that if you claim telepathy then surely it wouldn't have trifled with the barrel and the dead guy. I think this is explainable though since just because you can hear someones thoughts, or read their brain in some way, doesn't have to equate to knowing exactly where they are. You can assume that if you like of course, but I'm not. Still it's true that the scene was about building tension as much as anything else.

p.s. Laivasse below reminds me that the whole Troopers thing is a poor reference, besides everything else it was hardly the first source of brain-eating = knowledge absorption. Great novel though.

okay, we know that the advisors actually suck with those things (the dead guy and the barrel gets shriveled.
I actually got the impression that the Advisor just snapped the guy with telekinesis, because he was pissed off or whatever.
Do you guys really think the Valve team sits down and does the hard science on concepts like "eat brain = gain knowledge"? Do you think anything so far has been based on science and not just "sciency-sounding" words?
Please drop the notion that Half Life 2 is Starship Troopers: The Game. You might even end up enjoying it more. Laidlaw puts enough homework into the science so that it at least doesn't sound completely stupid, eg. with the tunneling entanglement and Calabi-Yau references when describing the teleportation mechanics in HL2.
I'll bet they just do things that make sense from a narrative point of view, like all of the obvious foreshadowing they do to the knowledge sucking event
What foreshadowing?
the fact that in instinctive symbology brain = knowledge
But eating brain != eating knowledge, except among primitive idiots and people who put bones through their noses.
and that the Advisors are called ADVISORS a.k.a someone that gathers and imparts knowledge.
'Advisor': definition, 'Brain eating knowledge-sucker', I'll have to remember that.
How much more obvious can one get?
Well how about, you know, having some actual evidence that that is what they are doing? A single line from an NPC? The advisors acting on the knowledge they've supposedly gained? Anything at all?
Could it be any more clear that it is their intention for us to assume knowledge sucking occured?
See above - it could be clearer by way of being, well, suggested at all. I remember people like you claiming that it was blatantly obvious that the Combine were on Xen :rolleyes:
And what is the real problem with it?
It is lame.
The mechanism for it is not understood and will probably not be explained, like every other technology we allow without question - so find a knowledge-sucking concept you're comfortable with and that satisfies the bold claims that you fully understand brain anatomy and mechanics and that involves a tentacly appendage and live with it.
I'll accept it when there's more evidence for it than a bunch of excitable B-movie fans shouting 'Why do u doubt it? HE ATE DER GUYZ' BRAIN!'
It was mentioned in the official guide, although that still isn't a 100% reliable source. I'll believe it when it comes out of the mouth of a Valve employee.
This I do find worrying, but like you say, Prima does not write the story.

Somone should send a mail to Gabe! :p My opinion is that Half-Life have never been extremely realistic, they never wanted it to be that, but a lot of the science of the Half-Life universe makes sense and is belivable. That sucking a brain out or eating it gives you its knowledge do not make sense in anyway I see it and its also a cliché, and Valve always try to stay away from that.

I love this, everyone is critiquing the Brain Suck = Get Smart idea, but really... the Advisers are basically Psycic Powered Flying Grubs, wearing gas-masks and robo-arm-crawly-things.
advisor.jpg

So on the realism side, they are not too realistic either. (As far as we know)

Neither is the way the Vorts healed Alyx. (As far as we know)

Just funny IMO how you guys are nit-picking every little detail. Liek Jokko said, the Half Life series has not always relied on realism.

Well I guess since it's not realistic, why don't we just say that it all works by magic? :rolleyes: And...
Liek Jokko said, the Half Life series has not always relied on realism.
...but a lot of the science of the Half-Life universe makes sense and is belivable. That sucking a brain out or eating it gives you its knowledge do not make sense in anyway I see it and its also a cliché, and Valve always try to stay away from that.
It helps if you quote people who actually agree with you...

I actually got the impression that the Advisor just snapped the guy with telekinesis, because he was pissed off or whatever.

In my version he didn't do anything to the rebel, so **** knows.

Please drop the notion that Half Life 2 is Starship Troopers: The Game. You might even end up enjoying it more. Laidlaw puts enough homework into the science so that it at least doesn't sound completely stupid, eg. with the tunneling entanglement and Calabi-Yau references when describing the teleportation mechanics in HL2.

Like I said, sciency-sounding words. Care to even summarise any of those concepts? I agree with you that it doesn't sound stupid and does sound like it is grounded in real science, but like any good science-fiction, it is, in fact, fiction - just like brain-sucking. Minimal homework required.

What foreshadowing?

Take for instance "gee, wouldn't it be terrible if the evil Combine got their hands on you, you have such vital information, in fact, the most vital of anyone they could possibly get information from".

But eating brain != eating knowledge, except among primitive idiots and people who put bones through their noses.

Yes, eating brain = eating knowledge in narrative symbology, which is what I was referring too. By narrative symbology I mean the implied and assumed connection between brain and knowledge that is used in more literature than you have read and is of course grounded in actual biology. Not to mention the brain-eating = knowledge stealing that has actually been studied in various organisms with results tending to favour the possibility.

Also I think you'll find that everything primitive people did had an actual function and worked. Whether or not they knew why the universe worked the way it did, they certainly knew how to manipulate it.

'Advisor': definition, 'Brain eating knowledge-sucker', I'll have to remember that.

No, Advisor definition most literally "person who gives advice", a.k.a, knowledge based on experience. If these things are simply assassins, why are they called Advisors and not, say, ASSASSINS?

Well how about, you know, having some actual evidence that that is what they are doing? A single line from an NPC? The advisors acting on the knowledge they've supposedly gained? Anything at all?

This is Valve-style evidence. The same way they've been delivering it since HL2. I have no doubt that the advisors will act on their knowledge in Ep3 - it's a convenient plot driver.

See above - it could be clearer by way of being, well, suggested at all. I remember people like you claiming that it was blatantly obvious that the Combine were on Xen

People like me? You mean people that disagree with you? Better get used to it.

It is lame.

Do you mean lame as a plot device, or lame because you don't agree with the science?

If you mean lame as a plot device, then sure, maybe it is. We had already accepted that it was possible for Breen to transfer into a host body (even if he did not succeed) so by that token we have also accepted that knowledge transfer from one body into another is possible. Breen without Breen's mind is no longer Breen, and if you say that perhaps they intended to remove his whole brain, then who's to say that's not what they did with Eli? If you have a problem with the science of BRAIN EATING = KNOWLEDGE then perhaps consider BRAIN INTERFACING (the Advisor's have already demonstrated their ability to mess with your mind, as has the G-Man) or indeed brain removal for later interrogation (this to me would be the most frightening - we have stolen your brain, now let's hook it up to a machine that interfaces directly with your pain centre).

I'll accept it when there's more evidence for it than a bunch of excitable B-movie fans shouting 'Why do u doubt it? HE ATE DER GUYZ' BRAIN!'

See above.

Well I guess since it's not realistic, why don't we just say that it all works by magic? :rolleyes: And...It helps if you quote people who actually agree with you...

Sorry, skimmed over it and read it wrong. I hope you will forgive me :)

Personaly I think Eli's brain did get eaten, regardless of whether that's how the knowledge was transfered from one to the other. There was too much blood for otherwise I think and while the tente-probe thing does indeed look like it's hitting the base of the skull rather than the back I'm fine with that since that would be the easiest access into the skull. Either way I think we're all agreed that the Combine now have at least some of Eli's knowledge.
More interesting than that is the Advisors behaviour. One comes in and subdues the humans but then steps aside and allows another to kill Eli. Doesn't that suggest rank within the Advisors themselves?

Like I said, sciency-sounding words. Care to even summarise any of those concepts? I agree with you that it doesn't sound stupid and does sound like it is grounded in real science, but like any good science-fiction, it is, in fact, fiction - just like brain-sucking. Minimal homework required.
Some posters here are moderately well-versed in physics and were pleased by the relevance of those references in HL2. Others such of myself felt compelled to look up the theories afterwards and were impressed with the scientific grounding that Laidlaw tried to give the teleportation physics used in the game. Calabi-Yau manifolds are models used used to help understand the multiple dimensions hinted at by superstring theory. Quantum tunneling and quantum entanglement are real life subatomic phenomenons where particles can be seen to pass through obstacles (tunneling) or affect the behaviour of other particles at a distance (entanglement). This is a layman's butchered summary, but even in that you can see that HL2's teleportation idea hints at quantum manipulation being used as a means to pass between dimensions. Michael Crichton, in a lengthy foreword to Timeline, used the same ideas to contextualise his ideas about time travel. It makes a vague kind of sense, even if it might not be applicable in real world, contemporary physics.

Even the Advisor's ability to fly - HL2 is asking you to believe in the possibility of psychokinesis. The rest explains itself. It could even be trying to distance itself from the generally discredited ideas of psychokinesis in humans, in that there is a visual element to it - you can see disturbances in the air between the Advisor and the thing it is manipulating, which is uncharacteristic of how we understand the phenomenon to (allegedly) work with people. The inference is that the Advisor's mind is so powerful that it is literally performing something unknown to human science.

In contrast, what are these theories which are being referenced by the concept of knowledge sucking? What are we even being asked to believe? Basically that the skull is a cup of knowledge and you crack it open to drink the contents. Wonderful. It might require minimum homework to try and contextualise the teleportation theories in HL2, but even that would been more work than is required to come up with the 'knowledge vampire' idea. It makes no sense, since even if you could glean information just by consuming a brain, you are destroying its integrity (the means by which it stores information) by removing it. The only reason to include it would be because it hearkens back to a primitive and misguided concept that many people would be able to recognise, but which nevertheless fails to make sense.
Take for instance "gee, wouldn't it be terrible if the evil Combine got their hands on you, you have such vital information, in fact, the most vital of anyone they could possibly get information from".
Uh, interrogation...? I've seen this thread of dialogue in more stories than I've cared to count, and not one of them were hinting at brain sucking.

Besides, Eli says 'they'll tear it out of her' - figurative language describing interrogation. It would have been incredibly easy to change that line to 'suck it out of her', and doing so would have laid the issue to rest. Valve did not do so. So with 'tear' we'd be left with either:
1) a pointlessly figurative description of something you claim is a tangible, non-figurative process in the game, when changing one word would have eliminated any grey area.
or 2) A commonly used figure of speech for obtaining info through interrogation. I know which one I'd plump for.

Speaking of which, interrogation/torture appears to be a common MO of the Combine judging from HL2 visual clues. Why bother to do this if they can suck the knowledge straight out? Why have humans work on a teleport for them when they could just brainsuck those humans and do it themselves? Why, if Advisors can suck knowledge out, did Alyx (whose knowledge of the Resistance is comparable to Eli's) have no problem letting herself get close to one?
Yes, eating brain = eating knowledge in narrative symbology, which is what I was referring too. By narrative symbology I mean the implied and assumed connection between brain and knowledge that is used in more literature than you have read and is of course grounded in actual biology. Not to mention the brain-eating = knowledge stealing that has actually been studied in various organisms with results tending to favour the possibility.
What are these actual biological studies? Why are they not mentioned or referenced in the game in order to give the Advisor's ability context? Is there a hint as to why it works on humans as their brains are being liquefied, where it would previously only work on (I'm guessing) very simple forms of life with simple and small brains? Where is the hint that this is what the Advisors are doing at all, aside from the idea that eating brains=eating knowledge in the symbology of some hackneyed, shamelessly unscientific narratives (see Starship Troopers)?
Also I think you'll find that everything primitive people did had an actual function and worked. Whether or not they knew why the universe worked the way it did, they certainly knew how to manipulate it.
They weren't very good at writing sci fi, to my knowledge. And not everything they did had a function and worked - that is BS. Unless you believe human sacrifice for the sake of a good harvest, or whatever, was functional? Incidentally, that's another plot mechanism I hope never surfaces in HL.
Alyx: 'Gordon, this conflict will never end until you reunite my spirit energies with the Earth Mother' *hands you a stone knife*
No, Advisor definition most literally "person who gives advice", a.k.a, knowledge based on experience. If these things are simply assassins, why are they called Advisors and not, say, ASSASSINS?
The name Advisor contains no information-vampire connotations whatsoever. I don't know why you'd even bother continuing to argue this particular point. They aren't simply assassins, since they advised Breen and use their knowledge to direct their troops, so you needn't look any further for the justification for their name. They're not named 'assassins' for the same reason that barnacles, headcrabs and striders aren't called 'assassins'.
This is Valve-style evidence. The same way they've been delivering it since HL2. I have no doubt that the advisors will act on their knowledge in Ep3 - it's a convenient plot driver.
It isn't Valve style evidence, or even evidence at all. Valve style evidence is, eg. the noticeboards in Kliener's and Eli's lab and speeches from NPC's. Like I said - a single line of explanation, or even changed word, would be enough to lay all argument from me to rest. On the other hand, how are Valve supposed to demonstrate that the Advisors aren't knowledge-sucking, if that's what everyone is so quick to assume? That is much harder.

The type of 'evidence' you're talking about is exactly like the Combine-on-Xen non-evidence; the game elements or false comparisons that people use to support a hastily arrived at theory, eg. claiming that the Xen factory was a citadel since it contained slaves.
People like me? You mean people that disagree with you? Better get used to it.
People who think they are arguing based on a wealth of evidence when they in fact possess none at all.

Just like Combine-on-Xen: people can interpret the story any way you want, but if your evidence is thin (verging on none) don't try to claim that your interpretation is the only possible one, let alone the most likely one.
If you mean lame as a plot device, then sure, maybe it is. We had already accepted that it was possible for Breen to transfer into a host body (even if he did not succeed) so by that token we have also accepted that knowledge transfer from one body into another is possible.
We have no idea how the host body idea would have worked. It could have involved a large part of Breen's physical body intact within a larger one, just his brain, or none of those.
Breen without Breen's mind is no longer Breen, and if you say that perhaps they intended to remove his whole brain, then who's to say that's not what they did with Eli?
Because the tentacle is too narrow for that, and the process too brutal. Had they cut off his head and taken it, it would not only be a clearer signal of their intent to profit off his knowledge but I would also have slightly less of a problem with the concept (though as a plot device I would still consider it lame). Sucking his brains like a milkshake, as it appeared, should leave his brains in no state to extract info from, even if we were to accept the farfetched science of steal brain = steal info.
If you have a problem with the science of BRAIN EATING = KNOWLEDGE then perhaps consider BRAIN INTERFACING (the Advisor's have already demonstrated their ability to mess with your mind, as has the G-Man) or indeed brain removal for later interrogation (this to me would be the most frightening - we have stolen your brain, now let's hook it up to a machine that interfaces directly with your pain centre).
As stated somewhere else, I have less of a problem with the idea of them obtaining knowledge from a brain through other means than sucking it out in a schlock horror manner. This idea would beg the other question of why, if they can do this, do they ever torture/interrogate people by conventional means at all, plus all the abovementioned plot problems it chucks up...

So until a single speck of story pops up to suggest that the Advisors were sucking out knowledge from Eli (and the dead Rebel...? ¬_¬), then I'll assume, without bringing any primitive symbology into play, that they were doing what they appeared to be doing - ie. they were feeding, and killing out of revenge/anger.
QuantumFireball said:
Sorry, skimmed over it and read it wrong. I hope you will forgive me :)
It's cool *tongue-kiss*

Back