quick question

Stormy

Companion Cube
Reaction score
i have been doing abit of character modeling and i have been getting out the general shape of the torso with an 8 sided cylinder. it had 4 sections so i can just get out the general shape.

what i want to know is can i add more sections to the cylinder. i know i can cut it but this will take ages and probly make a relly messy mesh. i tryed using slice under the face subsection but it came out like the attaced pic. it has created a vertex on the invisible edge and 3 faces above and below the line :( was wondering if i can keep it with 2 faces abow and below and not have the vertex on the invisable edge or weather ill have to delete it all and recreate 1/2 of it

i did see a video tut were it was done but it had no sound and im not sure weather it was max or not (http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/resources/general/video_tutorials/video-tut-list.shtml Paramilitary_punk)

A couple of solutions:
1: Extrude the face at the bottom.
Second, and last solution I can think of (assuming you use editable mesh, this is what I use):
Select the edge sub-object, and click Ignore Backfacing on, and then click the divide button, then click the edge that you want to add the vertices to. After this you should have another section, but it might be a little wierd in the way the faces are ordered, so click on the edge sub-object again and click the turn button and re-arrange as you wish.

Hope this helps!

just in that vid tut he seems to cut through the hole cylinder in one click

I have a solution for you. It looks like you're using Max5, but if not, this won't apply to you. First, convert the object to Editable Poly. After you've done that, select the vertical edges all the way around the object where you want the other row of edges. See the image below:
vertex_help2.jpg

Once those are all selected, look over to the Edit Edges rollout. The Connect button is the one you'll need for this. Once you click that with those edges selected, you'll get a nice row of horizontal edges all the way around the object. If you need any more help or a more detailed explaination, just say so.

nice one spin just what i wanted :D thanx

ahhg another question. i dont really use editabal polly normaly use edit mesh. i was wondering if there is a turn tool under the edge subsection on edit polly

Yes, it's the Edit Triangulation button at the bottom of the Edit Edges rollout.

yea i have found it but after i have selected it i carnt click on any edges :/

The Edit Triangulation tool works a little differently than the Turn tool in Edit Mesh. Instead of clicking directly on the edge that you want to turn, you click on two vertices to manipulate it. If you play around with it for a little while you'll get the hang of how it functions.

Back