R.I.P. - Whitney Houston

Stylo

The Freeman
Reaction score
Damn, man. :|

American singer and actress Whitney Houston has died at the age of 48, her publicist Kristen Foster has said.
The cause and the location of her death were unclear, Ms Foster told the Associated Press news agency.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17001548

whitneyhoustonwelcomehe.jpg

There were points in her career where she admitted to using some substances, yep. Although she denied ever smoking crack because "Crack is wack."

No idea about her state before she died. Neither do many people at the moment, so it seems. Also, that shit f*cked up her singing voice.

I saw on the news (which I was only watching because they were about show a clip of a cat making weird noises... you know, journalism) that people saw her at a party or some shit, and how she looked totally tanked and very sickly in general. I'm guessing that it was probably related to her death.

Also, is it bad that I don't really know who she is, beyond "a celebrity"?

I saw on the news (which I was only watching because they were about show a clip of a cat making weird noises... you know, journalism) that people saw her at a party or some shit, and how she looked totally tanked and very sickly in general. I'm guessing that it was probably related to her death.

Also, is it bad that I don't really know who she is, beyond "a celebrity"?
Only formerly one of the greatest soul singers ever (before her life spiralled out of control of course)

Come on, you must have heard this at least :p:

Who gives a ****?
Awesome input, Bro.

A shame, she had a beautiful voice.

dam this is sad,she really have a good voice,and the bodyguard song is one of the most know in the world imo

A truly amazing singer. It'd be a shame to hear if she had died of an overdose.

A truly amazing singer. It'd be a shame to hear if she had died of an overdose.
Well, the article I posted keeps being updated and the latest says:

While the cause of death is unclear, Mr Rosen said there were "no obvious signs of criminal intent".

An autopsy is likely to be held within the next two days. However, if drugs or alcohol are involved, it will take between six and eight weeks for toxicology tests to be completed.

So I guess we'll find out in a couple of days if it wasn't but most people have already begun to speculate drugs as the cause anyway, even if not an immediate overdose, the long term damage they'll undoubtedly have done to her.

And suddenly she's an amazing singer and her album sales go off the charts!

Honestly when's the last time you heard Whitney Houstons name before she died?

Are you saying we shouldn't acknowledge her achievements, because she didn't die at the height of her career?

And suddenly she's an amazing singer and her album sales go off the charts!

Honestly when's the last time you heard Whitney Houstons name before she died?
She's pretty world renowned to be fair. She always has been an amazing singer, lots of singers since she became big have cited her as an influence or inspiration.

I understand your mentality and stuff, I thought along the same lines when Amy Winehouse died, sure she had a great voice and all but I personally couldn't say I'd listened to much of her music or that she was some massive angel of the music scene.

Whitney Houston was huge in her time and to say "suddenly" she's an amazing singer is a bit off. People have mainly always said that about her. There likely will be people who will bandwagon on it because she's died and suddenly buy all her music but that doesn't mean she was crap while she lived and was never a great musician.

I knew whitney houston even if just the bodyguard song,which I bet is very well known

the diference beetwen amy whinehouse and whitney houston is that whitney didnt screwed up so much like amy did saying how she wasnt going into rehab,and most importantly she had a long time since she was famous while winehouse was just recent,also se didnt end up whit such a bad press at the end of her life like winehouse or even michael jackson

She's pretty world renowned to be fair. She always has been an amazing singer, lots of singers since she became big have cited her as an influence or inspiration.

I understand your mentality and stuff, I thought along the same lines when Amy Winehouse died, sure she had a great voice and all but I personally couldn't say I'd listened to much of her music or that she was some massive angel of the music scene.

Whitney Houston was huge in her time and to say "suddenly" she's an amazing singer is a bit off. People have mainly always said that about her. There likely will be people who will bandwagon on it because she's died and suddenly buy all her music but that doesn't mean she was crap while she lived and was never a great musician.

Don't get me wrong, I never said she was a bad musician. I mean even though we haven't heard her name is years doesn't mean she wasn't good, EVERYONE knows that Bodyguard song. It just the fact that when she dies suddenly people who gave zero shits before suddenly recognize her for her "AMAZING talent" and now she is "one of the greatest singers to have ever lived" (no one here said that but I wouldn't be surprised if a quick google search of that reveals LOTS of results). She was good. So are alot of singers, though. IMO it's more derogatory to her as a person to suddenly love her just because she died, meanwhile you didn't give a **** before. This goes for every celebrity. Like how everyone thought Michael Jackson was a gross creepy pedo, but after his death he was the greatest man to have ever lived.. Give me a break. They are celebrities, you didn't personally know any of them, so there is no point in grieving.

They are celebrities, you didn't personally know any of them, so there is no point in grieving.
Yeah, I forgot that celebrities weren't people.

I've always personally thought Whitney was a great singer and I recognised her for her talent before she died. The bassist from my band worked on one of her gigs doing her sound engineering and setting up her stage equipment a couple of years back.

I'm not grieving per se, just saddened that someone who achieved so much and had so much talent has died at the age of 48. I still find it sad and think it's nice that people would pay their respects and tributes to her, despite not knowing her personally.

I don't think you have to know someone personally to be saddened by their death.

Yeah, I forgot that celebrities weren't people.

Well in that case, why aren't you grieving about the thousands getting killed in Africa by civil war every day? No. One celebrity in North America dies - watch out! HUGE NEWS. SHE IS SO GREAT, HER DEATH WAS TO UNTIMELY SAD SAD SAD.

Honestly I know it's a cliche argument by now, "think of the Africans", but it's true.. We don't talk or think about them, when they die needlessly defending themselves from rapists and murders, but we care when one first-world celebrity dies by way of OD on drugs (probably, and if not Whitney just use Whinehouse as the example..).

Yea it sucks she died, I'm not happy about it, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Comparing tragedies to other tragedies and grading them in terms of how bad they are is a hideous way to think, IMO.

More people died in the Holocaust than 9/11, does that make 9/11 any less bad? One death is always too many. Yes people die in Africa all the time and many people do give a shit, that's why we have things Comic Relief every year and lots of events and charities set up for them.

Whitney Houston has just died, people will pay respects and be sad for a bit and then it will be over. I don't think we should attempt to take that away from people just because "worse stuff is happening in the world." Someone has died, let the people who feel affected by it be affected.

If you lose no sleep over it, so be it, but not everyone else feels that way and some will want to show their sadness. If you don't care, don't care. But you can't make everyone else not care.

It just the fact that when she dies suddenly people who gave zero shits before suddenly recognize her for her "AMAZING talent" and now she is "one of the greatest singers to have ever lived" (no one here said that but I wouldn't be surprised if a quick google search of that reveals LOTS of results).

Nope. I found maybe 5 pages, and 2 of those were from facebook. 1 was urban dictionary.

Well in that case, why aren't you grieving about the thousands getting killed in Africa by civil war every day? No. One celebrity in North America dies - watch out! HUGE NEWS. SHE IS SO GREAT, HER DEATH WAS TO UNTIMELY SAD SAD SAD.

Honestly I know it's a cliche argument by now, "think of the Africans", but it's true.. We don't talk or think about them, when they die needlessly defending themselves from rapists and murders, but we care when one first-world celebrity dies by way of OD on drugs (probably, and if not Whitney just use Whinehouse as the example..).

Can we not do this every. single. ****ing. time. someone makes a celebrity death thread. It's not just cliche at this point, it's boring.

So here's an ultimatum:

a) Start making threads about dead Africans.

b) Shut the unholy **** up.

Otherwise you're just whining about a problem without even attempting to broach a solution, in a thread created to mourn an actual dead person. You're essentially picketing this thread to force your moral view on the rest of us. Do you know what that makes you? :v

Well in that case, why aren't you grieving about the thousands getting killed in Syria by the uprising every day?

Fixed. Using Africans as part of an analogy is getting old.

@Bad^hat: Public forum is a place for discussion, no?

@Shem: I appreciate the fix :LOL:

@Bad^hat: Public forum is a place for discussion, no?

Wow, it's like you actually have no sense of irony and don't realise how much you're playing into my oh-so-subtle Westboro Baptist Church comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I never said she was a bad musician. I mean even though we haven't heard her name is years doesn't mean she wasn't good, EVERYONE knows that Bodyguard song. It just the fact that when she dies suddenly people who gave zero shits before suddenly recognize her for her "AMAZING talent" and now she is "one of the greatest singers to have ever lived" (no one here said that but I wouldn't be surprised if a quick google search of that reveals LOTS of results). She was good. So are alot of singers, though. IMO it's more derogatory to her as a person to suddenly love her just because she died, meanwhile you didn't give a **** before. This goes for every celebrity. Like how everyone thought Michael Jackson was a gross creepy pedo, but after his death he was the greatest man to have ever lived.. Give me a break. They are celebrities, you didn't personally know any of them, so there is no point in grieving.
Errr, her nickname was "The Voice" since about the mid-80's.

You seem to be one for cliches. Everyone thought MJ was a pedo? Do you live on 4chan with all the other 12-year-olds?

Dog-- you are making such a fool of yourself, save face while you still can. Every post you make brings forth major facepalms, especially when you're so wrong. Just because people don't continually write "I'm so sad for all the people that died today somewhere in the world" doesn't mean that they don't care. At the same time you don't have to go around saying Whitney Houston is a great singer all the time to think that she is, it's just that now that she died you do get a reason to say that she was a great singer because she's being talked about. It's the same reason that if you BRING UP the topic of Africa or Syria or whatever you get people to state how sad it is that people die there for different reasons, but it's not something you just go around and randomly say all the time.

On topic: She was one of the best singers ever. You can't compare her to many other singers because she was in a league of her own so she was not just any ordinary singer (there's a reason Guinness World Records cited her as the most-awarded female act of all time). Sadly she seemed to have lead a broken life which seems to have got her in the end, RIP.

I was never a fan of hers so I'd be lying if I said I was bothered at all by her death. I think that rating different singers on their ability is invalid in some respects due to the many different types of singing styles you can get which serve peoples different taste in music and what they like.

Errr, her nickname was "The Voice" since about the mid-80's.

You seem to be one for cliches. Everyone thought MJ was a pedo? Do you live on 4chan with all the other 12-year-olds?
This. Sure, most people JOKED about MJ and are probably guilty of laughing at said jokes. But he was acquitted and he was still an awesome musician (and sick dancer) when alive.

I don't think the whole 'considered greater after death' thing really applies to people like MJ and Whitney. They really were sensations at the height of their careers.

I guess talented people have to die at the right time for people to give a f*ck, no?

Back