Ragdolls in DOD:S?!

Darkknighttt

Reaction score
any news on this?! itll really take away from the realism, if they were added, though. maybe they could tone it down a bit. it is a war game after all.

How would ragdolls take away from realism?

They are including ragdolls similar to hl2's in DoD: S

There will definitely be ragdoll physics in DOD:S, though frankly, I don't think the HL2 ragdolls are that unrealistic.
Look at Counter-Strike: Source's ragdolls for instance, they are very realistic in my opinion.

However, I'd like to add that Max Payne 2's Havok 2 ragdolls are so far the best, especially with the ability to change it incredibly. Some modifications make the ragdolls frighteningly cool and realistic, would be cool to see that stuff in HL2.

I'm sure bodies arn't physically heavy enough in cs source, the way they react.
A bit more weight and a bit more damping on the joints and it will look realistic.

If you dont have ragdoll you will have stupid dying animations with bodies hanging off walls floating in mid air.

CS:S ragdolls are a little weird, they don't seem to be affected by gravity as much as other ragdolls are... :|

Anyway I don't see how adding ragdolls to DOD:S would make it 'unrealistic'. Do you think the troops in WW2 had pre-defined death animations? :p

Toss around a HL2 ragdoll, then a CS:S ragdoll. HL2 one acts good, CS:S one slowly floats to the ground. I pray to god they use the HL2 style ones. :[

Sometimes the CSS ragdolls leap at your face after headshoting them.

But Max Payne 2's ragdolls are sweet.

Max Payne 2 uses Havoc physicengine.. And HL2 and source games uses Havoc 2 or parts of it least. So in fact Ragdolls in source engine games should be better than in Max Payne 2... Just a tough.. Im not complaining, every game that i have metinoned has great raggdolls. :)

Underhill[FIN] said:
Max Payne 2 uses Havoc physicengine.. And HL2 and source games uses Havoc 2 or parts of it least. So in fact Ragdolls in source engine games should be better than in Max Payne 2... Just a tough.. Im not complaining, every game that i have metinoned has great raggdolls. :)
Haha, it's the other way man. HL2 and the source games use a highly modified version of Havok 1, while Max Payne 2 uses Havok 2. :D

CrazyHarij said:
Haha, it's the other way man. HL2 and the source games use a highly modified version of Havok 1, while Max Payne 2 uses Havok 2. :D

?? I have always tought differently.. It sounds illogical. :)

HL2 is new game, and it should use havoc 2??
But anyway all raggdolls look great and thats main thing :)

EDIT: Or is there some reason why HL2 uses only havoc 1?

Valve started making the game when Havok 1 was available. And besides, it's a heavily modified version of Havok 1, which essentially is exactly what Havok 2 is.

I wish they'd use death animations, but when the animation ends they become ragdoll. I think Halo PC's death animations are pretty cool (spinning around on a headshot), but they don't go ragdoll afterward.

Fully ragdoll is overrated :/.

Check out some of the videos, they show the ragdoll physics in action, I believe its on Flash and a german gets sent flying towards the camera, it looked a little overdone, but maybe its because of where the German was standing when he got hit.

CrazyHarij said:
I'm fairly sure Havok 2 wasn't around for MP2, and HL2 pretty much uses Havok 2.
havok.com said:
“Havok has been working with Valve for almost three years to deliver breakthrough physical gameplay. Havok 2, launched at GDC 2003 incorporates all that we have learned from working with each other,
particularly in the area of character control and ragdolls”, said Dr. Steven Collins CTO, Havok

I'm fairly sure Havok 2 wasn't around for MP2, and HL2 pretty much uses Havok 2.

Max Payne 2 uses parts of Havok 2 AFAIK. Ragdolls and simple shape dynamics.
And indeed, MP2's ragdolls rock!

StardogChampion said:
I wish they'd use death animations, but when the animation ends they become ragdoll.

I hate death animations. When you seen someone die over and over again it gets boring. Especially when the death animations go through walls and floors. It just kills the realism for me.

CS:S ragdolls on the otherhand make me want to kill just to see funny or new death positions.

PLINK! "HEADSHOT" Guy falls over backwards, straddles a beam while resting on a wall. Its moments like those that make fragging more enjoyable.

Many CS servers also have the physics set very strangely(and annoyingly) which makes for some REALLY unrealistic effects(like shooting someone with any gun and having them fly all the way across the map)...under normal conditions the ragdolls and such look great.

The pushforce is a bit too much in CS:Source imo. My favorite is when you kill someone running across the field and they just topple over.

They definately need to tone it down.In real life, I don't think somebody would fly back like they're hit with a bat when shot with a cv-47 at close range.

the animated deaths are awful. hopefully we wont have to witness them ever again.
however the ragdoll physics is quite often flawed. ive witnessed dead bodies leap into the air and land on walls. and seen people shot at point blank with a shotgun and watch them topple forwards as opposed to in the direction the shell was moving..
and i really really hope that cl_ragdollcollide is permanantly set to on.. it really annoys me when i watch a good bit of ragdoll physics and then see the ragdoll slump through another ragdoll.. it just looks bad.
hopefully they will have addressed these problems with dod source.
as long as they make sure ragdolls will always collide in dod:s i will b happy

has anyone played the new america's army? those ragdolls are very nice and aside from the level geometry cliping every once in a while, AA's ragdoll have the best balance of weight and limb reaction iv seen so far.

As long as there are some form of ragdoll effect im happy

Back